No announcement yet.

Too old to start boxing? Parent help?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too old to start boxing? Parent help?

I'm a 16 year old that has never stepped foot inside the squared circle before, but watch boxing a lot and want to get involved. Is it too late for me to start from scratch at 16 or should I go for it and join a club?
    Also, how can I persuade my parents to let me join the local club? They're very protective and don't want me to get hit in the head and get concussions etc and they worry a lot so are there any particular things I can mention to sway them to my side? xD
    Thanks.

Originally posted by NWheadhunter View Post
    I'm a 16 year old that has never stepped foot inside the squared circle before, but watch boxing a lot and want to get involved. Is it too late for me to start from scratch at 16 or should I go for it and join a club?
    Also, how can I persuade my parents to let me join the local club? They're very protective and don't want me to get hit in the head and get concussions etc and they worry a lot so are there any particular things I can mention to sway them to my side? xD
    Thanks.
    Join if you're interested...you don't even have to compete if you don't want. Tell your parents you'll take it slow and not spar until you learn the basics...they'll probably think you might lose interest by then. Their concern is understandable, and if you find yourself getting in the habit of taking a lot of flush punches when sparring with guys your own level, then possibly consider a different sport.

Comment

Go for it and join a club. Only in sparring will you really find out if you want to continue boxing or not. If you never try, then you'll never know.

If you have the right attributes and get the proper training, then 16 is definitely not too late to start.

Also, if nothing comes of it as far as boxing competitively, it will at least improve your physical condition and provide a better understand of self-defense.

Comment

You're not too old, Spence came to my gym at 14. And I've seen guys start at 30.

Try to convince them to let you spar but if not just agree not to spar until you're 18. If they know you'll do it one day anyway they might give in.

Comment

Go for it! I started with 18, had two dozen amateur fights and it was pretty satisfying and rewarding.
          Besides sex, no better feeling than being in the ring and waiting for the gong to sound. (Well, and taking a real big shi t)

Comment

No Anthony Joshua and Wilder are later starters to boxing and both are currently World Champions so NO it is not too late

Comment

Originally posted by NWheadhunter View Post
              Thanks.
              No it's not if you put hard work and have the right coach who teaches right fundamentals you can be competing with the top amateurs in 3 to 4 years but it will be a lot of work and you probably need a 1 on 1 trainer to do this

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
                X