Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better Resume Sugar Ray Leonard or Roberto Duran?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackirish137 View Post
    Although I had it wider for Hagler than the scorecards indicated, people often give credit to Duran for being the first challenger of Hagler's title reign to go the distance with him...also he cut Hagler around the eye and marked his face up a bit. despite Hagler winning most the rounds, Duran gave Hagler arguably the toughest fight of his prime middleweight reign.
    I don't see it at all. BTW hagler has been cut by bums. I don't see how being cut translate into "struggling" (BTW that was the original comment that I was responding to) also 4 fights after duran (just 4 fights) lenard beat hagler.

to the TS. i think lenards resume is better then durans.

Comment

Originally posted by 2120 View Post
      how could you say he was the worst of the 4 when hagler is given credit for dominating the middleweight division and thats it. you can add the fact that he beat fighters moving up in weight

while duran did the same thing at lightweight and he was a multiple weight champ way past his prime

duran is usually ranked higher than ray, hearns, hagler on the all time great list
      no he's not. duran isn't even ranked the best out of that bunch.

it's followed as

leonard
      hagler
      hearns
      duran

duran is mostly rated from his win over lonard & how he climbed up in weight....i never thought reberto was the greatest of that bunch though.

Comment

Leonards resume makes Durans resume say No Mas.

Comment

It's a hard one. Duran's overall resume and achievements are pretty damn mind boggling. Starting at 118 (too many people still think he started at 135), and finishing up at 175, beating great champions from 1969 to 1998. Find another fighter in the history of the sport who has been able to beat champions over forty pounds apart across thirty years! It's simply incredible.

Most fighters don't even have a career spanning close to thirty years and yet Duran was beating champions over more weight divisions and across more years than most have any type of career.

A classic example: Pac has been fighting now for 15 years and beating champions for ten of those. Ten years after Duran beat his first great champion, he had moved up from 118 to 147, beat legendary HOF great Ray Leonard (which is certainly a much greater equivalent to beating Mayweather). Another ten years later he was winning the middleweight championship off Iran Barkley (himself a three division champion) and another ten years later was beating Jorge Castro, who had just come off title wins over Reggie Johnson, John David Jackson etc.

Ray Leonard is just as amazing. Those four great wins of his....Prime Tommy Hearns, prime Wilfred Benitez, nearly prime Duran and nearly prime Hagler. Whatever you say about Hagler's prime though is canceled by the fact that Leonard had been out of boxing for four years and only had one fight in six years! Imagine if, instead of Mayweather coming back after one year to beat Marquez, he came back after six to beat Hopkins at middleweight (if Hopkins was still at 160 as champ. We're pretending after all)? Obviously the size difference is much greater but I'm talking in terms of career similarity. Long time undisputed MW champ without a loss in over a decade vs a multi-division champ coming up to 160 and off a very long layoff.

That whole era was different though. Instead of just two really good fighters, Pac and Mayweather, you had a whole slew of them and they all fought each other over a decade. ****, these two guys can't even get one fight going. If only it was still like that today. Ahhh well, we can dream can't we? As to the resume question.... I don't know. It's a hard one. Duran has more wins over consistently better opposition in general, but then Leonard makes up for it with those wins over Hearns, Benitez and Hagler. Duran has the big win when both were in their prime, more or less, over Leonard himself who was quite a bit bigger and fresher. His only prime loss. Then he quit in the rematch?! Dunno.
          Rico_85 Rico_85 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by americanbot View Post
            no he's not. duran isn't even ranked the best out of that bunch.

it's followed as

leonard
            hagler
            hearns
            duran

duran is mostly rated from his win over lonard & how he climbed up in weight....i never thought reberto was the greatest of that bunch though.
            The vast majority would disagree with that. Whatever though, everyone has their own opinions. It does seem odd though that all the guys who rave about Duran being rated above the others and that he shouldn't be always seem to be big Mayweather fans.....Odd that.
            It's also more based on his wins, for those in the know, over HOF champions like Ernesto Marcel, Ken Buchanan, Esteban De Jesus, Carlos Palomino etc as just a few, along with Ray Leonard and moving up in weight.
            Last edited by BennyST; 02-07-2011, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by British Pride View Post
              Anyone who voted Leonard is a ****in idiot.
              ray was the most popular of the 4 that's why.

plus people don't consider duran was a lightweight and about 30 when he moved up to 147.

duran had a crazy career.

at 135 he had the domination and long reign like hagler did at 160.

duran also moved up and won at higher and higher weights like hearns did.

Comment

Originally posted by Check_hooks View Post
                Leonards resume makes Durans resume say No Mas.
                Duran makes your idols resume look like dog ****. Not to mention roach said he would knock your idol out

Comment

resume wise, duran by the skin of the teeth..

resume is not the fights you always win, its the fight you made win or lose..

did SRL beat better oppossition? yes, but does duran also fought them? answer is also an astounding yes. he might get clocked by hearns and beat by hagler, but those two were above his comfortable fighting limit and arguably beyond his prime years.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
                    The vast majority would disagree with that. Whatever though, everyone has their own opinions. It does seem odd though that all the guys who rave about Duran being rated above the others and that he shouldn't be always seem to be big Mayweather fans.....Odd that.
                    It's also more based on his wins, for those in the know, over HOF champions like Ernesto Marcel, Ken Buchanan, Esteban De Jesus, Carlos Palomino etc as just a few, along with Ray Leonard and moving up in weight.
                    get a life. Leonard has a better resume because he just does. duran beat Leonard but within the SAME EXACT year he lost against Leonard due to sugar not fighting him like a ****** (brawlling with him) he got fustrated & quit.....i don't give a flying **** about the weak excuses of why he lost the rematch within that same year....i already know why he lost. leonard refused to fight how reberto wanted.

i don't care about all of the extra f@g crap.

hearns was a FREAK at 147....a absolute MANIAC that would woop even todays mayweather & pac @ 147. (& thats not even mentioning all of the other greats that ray has beaten)

i don't see how ANYONE can rate durans resume over sugars.

halarious.
                    Last edited by americanbot; 02-08-2011, 03:58 AM.

Comment

leonard was all fluff, an american hype job!!!! won under the cirrcumstances. Fought Tommy when Hearns was struggling to make 47. Beat Benitez outright!! Lost to 35 lbs DURAN, requested and was awarded a rematch within 5 months (unheard of in them days) to save face!!!!! And lost to HAGLER!!! (just cause you last to the final bell doesnot make you a winner) P.S. How about this note: Duran fought 2 fights with MACHO CAMACHO tuff!!! ray leonard got KNOCKOUT by the MACHO MAN!!!!! RESUME: DURAN

Comment

Working...
                      X