Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hatton wants to become 'greatest promoter in the world'

Hatton wants to become 'greatest promoter in the world'
    abs-cbnNEWS.com | 05/07/2009 1:11 PM
    Following his staggering loss to Manny Pacquiao and stripped of his IBO/The Ring Magazine junior welterweight title, Ricky Hatton said he does not plan to leave boxing just yet.

Hatton told Sky Sports that he will not “leave the sport entirely,” as stated in an article on SkySports.com.

“But as far as physically boxing myself, I don't know what I'm going to do at the minute. I'm not going to drift off into the distance – boxing is my game,” he said.

Hatton added: “People are still going to see plenty of me. I'm going into promoting now and I've got a future with the youngsters. They are going to be fulfilling my dreams from here on in.”

The pride of Manchester was confident that he’ll be able to “do a great job” and become the “greatest promoter in the world.”

“That's the next avenue down which I'm going to go,” he said.

Even after admitting his “retirement” from boxing after the disappointing match with Pacquiao, “The Hitman” has not lost his pride as a boxer.

He boasted that he was the only British boxer who was able to bring 30,000 supporters in a boxing match.

"Whatever I decide to do, the following that I've had throughout my career has blown every other champion out of the water,” commented Hatton. “For that I will be forever grateful."

Devastating loss

The 30-year-old British boxing superstar also shared with Sky Sports some thoughts on his defeat, which is only the second loss in his career (45-2 with 32 KOs).

“I've lost twice and I've lost to the best pound-for-pound fighters in the world. It's not a bad way of looking at it, but I'm devastated,” said Hatton.

His other loss was in the hands of Floyd Mayweather, Jr. via TKO in Round 10 of their 2007 bout.

He said the “Battle of East and West” could have had a different outcome.

“If we'd have gone a few rounds it could have been different, but he caught me with practically the first punch he threw to be honest," he noted.

He even said, “I never thought that (the second-round knockout) was going to happen.”

“I'd rather have been knocked out in two rounds than have somebody that has out-classed me for the full duration,” added Ricky. “Maybe it could have been different, but that's boxing.”

as of 05/07/2009 1:16 PM
Working...
X