Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cus D'amato = overrated

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No I don't think he was overrated .He still established Tyson and took him on like a son

Comment

Tyson never talks about rooney I wonder why? What was their trainer-fighter relationship like?

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

Im not positive but I think Rooney came on board in 1990 after Paz lost to Camacho. He was definitely in his corner when he beat Dele for 154 WBA title and got come back fighter of the year in 1991. So he was with Paz for at least 25 fights.
        I remember he was there for the third Haugen fight and made a big difference, because I thought that Paz had lost both previous Haugen fights.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
          Im not positive but I think Rooney came on board in 1990 after Paz lost to Camacho. He was definitely in his corner when he beat Dele for 154 WBA title and got come back fighter of the year in 1991. So he was with Paz for at least 25 fights.
          I didn't realize that they were together that long. Thanks Jab.

Comment

Originally posted by BrownBomber1 View Post
            No I don't think he was overrated .He still established Tyson and took him on like a son
            "Give him enough time and the ****** will rise up in him "
            - Cus D'amato

Comment

I don't think he is over rated at all.

Patterson and Tyson (at his best) were technically excellent. In a technical sense Patterson was one of the best heavyweights ever.

Plus Cus was a great boxing historian, a great character and personality for the game.

Comment

I think Cus deserves his props, Tyson and Patterson both had their flaws but look at what they accomplished and there form and technique is excellent - they were taught well...

He was also a great character and his ideoligies were intresting

Comment

Maybe he was over hyped but you have to give him credit for one thing. He is the only trainer to have two of the youngest world heavyweight champions in Floyd Patterson ( who also became the first man to ever to regain the heavyweight title) and Mike Tyson.

Comment

Working...
                  X