Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the interest level of Dawson vs. Ward here???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a good amount of folks who share your sentiment. Outside of the names, its actually pretty hard to get riled up for it.

There are a couple reasons I can think of....

1. It's a "megafight" without any of the megafight anticipation/build-up. There is no history behind the fight. No bad blood, no prior mention of it. Nobody expected Dawson to call Ward out after fighting Hopkins. Most of us didn't even consider it.

2. Fighting at 168 just isn't appetizing to some fans, mainly because ur looking at a big Light Heavyweight and a big Super Middleweight who many think can make it to 172 or even 175 pretty easily.

3. Both fighters have unfinished business in their respective divisions. Fights that the majority of us have been wanting to see for quite some time.

4. Stylistically, its just not a match-up that will be conducive to fireworks.

5. For a fight of this caliber, a "Win" here doesn't hold as much weight as it should. Nor would it significantly impact the fighter's p4p standings. If Ward wins, he won't get full credit for having "drained" Dawson. If Dawson wins, he would've beat a smaller champion in a division he won't be fighting at in the future, all while avoiding a fight with Pascal

Comment

Originally posted by MalikKnucklez View Post
      There's a good amount of folks who share your sentiment. Outside of the names, its actually pretty hard to get riled up for it.

There are a couple reasons I can think of....

1. It's a "megafight" without any of the megafight anticipation/build-up. There is no history behind the fight. No bad blood, no prior mention of it. Nobody expected Dawson to call Ward out after fighting Hopkins. Most of us didn't even consider it.

2. Fighting at 168 just isn't appetizing to some fans, mainly because ur looking at a big Light Heavyweight and a big Super Middleweight who many think can make it to 172 or even 175 pretty easily.

3. Both fighters have unfinished business in their respective divisions. Fights that the majority of us have been wanting to see for quite some time.

4. Stylistically, its just not a match-up that will be conducive to fireworks.

5. For a fight of this caliber, a "Win" here doesn't hold as much weight as it should. Nor would it significantly impact the fighter's p4p standings. If Ward wins, he won't get full credit for having "drained" Dawson. If Dawson wins, he would've beat a smaller champion in a division he won't be fighting at in the future, all while avoiding a fight with Pascal
      Pascal has a fight already, so he isn't avoiding him right now. I'm glad Dawson isn't waiting around to see whether Pascal wins or not so he can fight him.

Comment

Dawson-Ward is a superfight. Two of the most talented gifted boxers from 160-175 fighting each other. Both in their primes. It just seems............out of nowhere with no build. Really weird matchup.

Comment

Lets just say I hope HBO doesn't blow its entire budget on this. It's a fight for people who like masturbate over fighter legacy. If it's a dull actionless hugfest that ends in a decision, it's not going to do anything for either fighter's legacy and status anyway.

Comment

It seems rushed.

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
              Lets just say I hope HBO doesn't blow its entire budget on this. It's a fight for people who like masturbate over fighter legacy. If it's a dull actionless hugfest that ends in a decision, it's not going to do anything for either fighter's legacy and status anyway.
              I was about to say that it reminds me a little of how Bradley-Alexander was setup. All the best intentions of getting the best to fight the best...only to end on a cut and be **** while it lasted. that fight was in January and HBO had blown half their budget for the rest of the year on it lol

Comment

Originally posted by SkillspayBills View Post
                Dawson-Ward is a superfight. Two of the most talented gifted boxers from 160-175 fighting each other. Both in their primes. It just seems............out of nowhere with no build. Really weird matchup.
                It doesn't meet any of the "superfight" pre-requisites.

Neither guy is that well known. Neither guy puts on great fights. Neither guy has a fanbase outside of hardcore boxing fans. And neither guy is as good as you claim.

If you put this on PPV it wouldn't even do 50k buys.

Comment

Im 100% interested. Two great fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Ruby View Post
                    It doesn't meet any of the "superfight" pre-requisites.

Neither guy is that well known. Neither guy puts on great fights. Neither guy has a fanbase outside of hardcore boxing fans. And neither guy is as good as you claim.

If you put this on PPV it wouldn't even do 50k buys.
                    Talk about a blast from the past wtf are you doing here. How is eerything with you Ruby.

Comment

Only reason I'm not happy is that it's at 168. And that's because I fear he can't make it healthily.

But, I'm happy with the match up as long as Dawson isn't drained.

Comment

Working...
                      X