Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gervonta Davis Fallout With Floyd is Perfect Example Why Signing To Mayweather is Bad

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pan-Africanist View Post
    It has everything to do with it. There's a reason why Canelo gets treated better than Matthysse. It's not like Floyd is being completely unreasonable.
    yeah theirs a reason for it cause canelo is the superstar but at no time can oscar tell canelo who his trainer gonna be or where he gonna train at. Not even when canelo was a kid coming up and barely signed with GBP can oscar dictate that to him, no promoter can. Tank has his own trainer, Has his own gym he trains from, Has his own routine, he does not need anything from Mayweather Promotions except for them to promote him not for Mayweather to get mad and then sabotage his chance at a title because he refused to move and train out of your gym? is mayweather a manager? or a promtoer? cause mayweather better be careful of blurring those 2 lines.

Comment

Originally posted by GMAN SUPREME View Post
      why would anyone want to sign with an unproven promoter like gayweather jr anyway?
      He's gotten a few cats some title shots that I think most would agree or at least argue they didn't deserve. Hell Tank is on the table for a title shot right now & I suspect most don't feel like he should be in line for a title shot this soon either. \

Originally posted by killakali View Post
      lets not act like going to Sin City is going to a place without distractions. Plently of fighters have fell victim to the strip clubs, gambling, drugs etc. And for someone to say but Floyd will keep an eye out on him, hell floyd ain't even there half the time. He be traveling. Let the fighter train where he's comfortable.

This is a total power move that Floyd complained about other promoters doing
      I'm guessing you aren't super familiar with the ****hole Baltimore is. Baltimore might be one of the worst places to live in America. Plus I doubt any of us really know the extent of Tank's ties in Baltimore, the criminal element he may or may not be close to friends or relatives-wise or all the things around him there that might put him at higher risk. A guy like Ricardo Williams Jr, could have used someone trying to get him out of Cincinnati back in the day. Adrien Broner still needs someone to get him out of Ohio too.

That said beyond all the speculation about Baltimore & what Tank's issues could be there I would say if I owned one of the more popular gyms in a boxing stronghold like Las Vegas I might just make everyone I sign come to that gym without any consideration to any particular fighters current home gym. So I guess with the latter part of my post it could be a power move, but knowing about Baltimore it could be Floyd looking out for Tank's future or more selfishly his own investment.

Comment

Originally posted by ElBossHogg View Post
        its pretty telling how everyone thought haymon and mayweather was real close but than why is haymon breaking bread with the white boy dibella instead of putting that cashflow into mayweather promotions pocket and in the same time getting mayweathers promotion as a brand and promotional froce established.
        Haymon works will several promoters...even Arum is on board.

Comment

All I know is there is something about how Floyd runs Mayweather Promotions that rubs others the wrong way. Last year Floyd talks all this talk about how Spence is down with him and gonna sign to Mayweather Promotions. Yet Spence never signs and his last 4 fights have had NOTHING to do with Mayweather Promotions. Floyd talked up Broner before that. Yet Broner never signed and has talked smack about how Floyd operates. Talked for months about Mikey Garcia yet he seems to of turned his back on signing with Mayweather Promotions. Talked up how Shaker was with TMT during the Olympics and many news outlets ran with it saying he signed with Mayweather Promotions but now the kid says what hold up I ain't signed nothing. We all know how he talked up Richard Schaefer for over a year begging him to come run Mayweather Promotions but Schaefer turned around and created a rival promotion instead. There is a reason why Haymon doesn't trust him and let him promote more PBC shows. everyone assumed after the golden boy split all Haymon fights would be promoted by Mayweather promotions instead Haymon went and got other promoters for his shows and only threw a small handful Mayweathers way. These people all saw something they don't like about how Mayweather Promotions is run and that's why they there is a disconnect.

And now we hearing bizarre demands and potential spiteful reactions and blackballing when the fighter didn't follow em. I think a lot of this is Floyd's ego and used to having everything his way and having yes men around him. He probably should take a step back and not be so hands on and let someone else run the show for Mayweather Promotions. If he wants it to succeed.

Comment

Originally posted by ElBossHogg View Post
            Gervonta Tank Davis fallout with mayweather is a perfect example of why signing with mayweather is a bad move. Mayweather is a very insecure person and is a lame who has been used to yes men all around him and the moment you dont agree with him 100% he will turn on you, we saw this with Luis Arias who was mayweather best fighter on Mayweather promotion but since Arias was cool with the Rahmans and mayweather wanted him to cut all ties with them and Arias refused Mayweather released him from the mayweather promotions. LOL mayweather wants to tell you who you can be friends with and who you cant lol and in Gervonta case he wanted to tell him where he can live and where he cant and when Gervonta refused Mayweather put him on ice and and sabotage his next fight.

Mayweather himself is the reason Mayweather promotions is a horrible option to sign to mayweather promotions cause you have to deal with him and all his insecurities.

source
            http://www.boxingscene.com/gervonta-...-doubt--108023
            source
            http://www.badlefthook.com/2014/10/3...her-promotions
            If you invested millions of dollars into a 19 year old boxer, would you want him near you where you can oversee his training, or would you be comfortable with him staying on top of things on the other side of the country with bad influences?

Floyd runs TMT like a team. If you get drafted by the Cincinnati Bengals, you move your family to Ohio so you can be close to work, interact with your teammates and interact with the fans in that city.

I don't get why this is such a big deal. He's trying to build a star in the fight capital of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
              He's gotten a few cats some title shots that I think most would agree or at least argue they didn't deserve. Hell Tank is on the table for a title shot right now & I suspect most don't feel like he should be in line for a title shot this soon either. \

I'm guessing you aren't super familiar with the ****hole Baltimore is. Baltimore might be one of the worst places to live in America. Plus I doubt any of us really know the extent of Tank's ties in Baltimore, the criminal element he may or may not be close to friends or relatives-wise or all the things around him there that might put him at higher risk. A guy like Ricardo Williams Jr, could have used someone trying to get him out of Cincinnati back in the day. Adrien Broner still needs someone to get him out of Ohio too.

That said beyond all the speculation about Baltimore & what Tank's issues could be there I would say if I owned one of the more popular gyms in a boxing stronghold like Las Vegas I might just make everyone I sign come to that gym without any consideration to any particular fighters current home gym. So I guess with the latter part of my post it could be a power move, but knowing about Baltimore it could be Floyd looking out for Tank's future or more selfishly his own investment.
              if your a big promotional company or want to be one, act like it. GBP wasn't making Luis Ortiz or Anthony Ogogo or Mathysse train in LA. Top Ranks doesn't tell Crawford, Bradley Pacquiao etc to go train in Vegas. Know what I mean. Even their prospects Verdejo, Valdez etc don't have to go to Las Vegas

Comment

Originally posted by killakali View Post
                if your a big promotional company or want to be one, act like it.
                Who's saying he's not? If this guy is going to be exposed to criminal elements or bad habits like Ricardo Williams or Adrien Broner why wouldn't you bring him to your gym a few thousand miles away where he can focus on his craft? Like I said this could for sure be a power play, but this could also be something that could save Tank's life or career if he's too close to the wrong crowd in Baltimore.

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
                  If you invested millions of dollars into a 19 year old boxer, would you want him near you where you can oversee his training, or would you be comfortable with him staying on top of things on the other side of the country with bad influences?

Floyd runs TMT like a team. If you get drafted by the Cincinnati Bengals, you move your family to Ohio so you can be close to work, interact with your teammates and interact with the fans in that city.

I don't get why this is such a big deal. He's trying to build a star in the fight capital of the world.
                  then he should put that in his promotional contracts so the fighter knows before he signs what is expected of him. Based on GDs position, we can safely assume that relocating was NOT mandated in his promotional contract.

So is it your position that ANY promoter should be able to force a fighter to do things that are NOT covered in their promotional agreement, and to deny that fighter any income until they agree? Or is this something special you permit just for Floyd?

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
                    then he should put that in his promotional contracts so the fighter knows before he signs what is expected of him. Based on GDs position, we can safely assume that relocating was NOT mandated in his promotional contract.

So is it your position that ANY promoter should be able to force a fighter to do things that are NOT covered in their promotional agreement, and to deny that fighter any income until they agree? Or is this something special you permit just for Floyd?
                    We don't know what is in his contract or what goes on behind the scenes. TMT fighters train at the Mayweather Boxing Club in Vegas. That's their thing.

I don't care what promoters do. I'm just sick and tired of these kids in the hood getting stuck and throwing their lives away trying to "keep it real". When somebody lends you an open hand and offers you a chance to better your life you should capitalize on it. There's fighters all over the country that would jump at the opportunity Floyd is giving this kid. The chance to get good training and sparring, train with world class trainers, be managed by an ATG fighter, build his career in the Fight Capital of the world.

But this kid has these Bmore guys in his hear trying to tell him what he knows best.

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post

The big deal is Floyd potentially sabotaging Davis shot at the title all over something DAVIS DOES NOT HAVE TO DO.

Yes floyd is only looking out for his investment but you cant control every aspect of your investment thats why its a risk. I am almost 100% sure theirs is no wording in the contract or even a verbal understanding that Davis would have to leave his set up and train out of his gym and do mayweather style of training.

Comment

Working...
                      X