Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what's your opinion on Oscar Valdez & Erik Morales?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valdez needs some work, i say he needs to get a new trainer.

His opponent took away Valdez body attack, so all he had left was his right hand, and it looked like he didn't have anything on it, or didn't even work on it. That was the main reason for his "good" performance, he looked lost when his bread and butter wasn't there.

^^^Makes me wonder if he was convert ortho.

Morales sounds like he knows what he's doing, but Vargas has ALWAYS been a low output fighter, mainly because he waits for his opponent, looking for the counter.

Morales even said in interviews leading up to the fight, that the only thing he needed is more activity. He had the skills but he held himself back too much, and so they tried to bring him out a bit more, to throw more punches, and combinations.

And that's was what was missing,activity. Looks like Vargas went back to his old self FROM THE FIRST ROUND, once he saw what Bradley was bringing to the table, he conserved his energy so he wouldn't burn out quick.

EM also told Vargas in the corner to let the right hand go, but he wouldn't do it. He finally threw caution to the wind, and WAS FIRST, and guess what, it landed flush, a great shot.

SO i can't be to harsh on Morales, It was Jesse Vargas first Major step up, and his trainer's first time working a corner on the big stage.

Wish more trainers would train, and not let all the knowledge go to waste.

Frustrating seeing jesse vargas, if he was able to keep the pace, most of his fights could be exciting to watch.

Comment

Good topic.

It is somewhat hard to judge Morales as a trainer based on one fight and the short amount of time he had with Vargas, but I liked what I saw for the most part. His advice was spot on when he urged Vargas to show more confidence and aggression. Vargas got the better of exchanges with cleaner punches and even demonstrated that he could hurt Bradley. He was in that fight, but let it slip away by being passive, and Morales was on that. Can't really comment on his job as trainer outside of that without speculating, but Vargas looked good when he wasn't being timid.

Valdez had me shaking my head. He has some impressive skills. His lateral movement, defense in general, and lead right hand all stood out to me. He looked nervous though and copped some hard shots. For a guy with a high KO percentage, he really didn't seem to have that much power. He needs a lot of seasoning, but he has some pretty good skills. He should avoid Lomachenko.

Comment

Working...
      X