No announcement yet.

Miguel Cotto: Man or Mouse?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LaMigra View Post
    Margarito: Intelligent and evolved or stupid and cheesy macho ?
    It's hard not to admire the never-say-die attitude in some people, but when nothing but personal glory and reputation are on the line, it's a foolhardy doctrine to emulate. margarito is not george w bush or perry stupid (nor is he particularly intelligent) but he IS cheesy macho.

Cotto is the stoic and classy archetype that Americans used to admire. Now the masses seem to appreciate loud, posturing braggarts.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuurzhaelan View Post
      It's hard not to admire the never-say-die attitude in some people, but when nothing but personal glory and reputation are on the line, it's a foolhardy doctrine to emulate. margarito is not george w bush or perry stupid (nor is he particularly intelligent) but he IS cheesy macho.

Cotto is the stoic and classy archetype that Americans used to admire. Now the masses seem to appreciate loud, posturing braggarts.
      But that "cheesy macho" attitude is what will make this fight a war, YOU KNOW he is not backing down from nothing. and cotto won't either.

Comment

Stop putting these dudes on pedestals. They r decent B- fighters who are apart of the TR hype machine. cotto has ducked more fights than the casual can ever comprehend.

This is the same guy who almost got stopped my zab fukin judah but was saved with his secret *** punch.

Comment

we aren't talking about who was ducking who in this thread, man. It doesn't make any sense you coming here and saying this crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuurzhaelan View Post

Eloquently stated indeed. Cotto is a man who loves his children more than he loves his fans. He is the kind of guy who understands the profundity of LIFE and therefore does not glorify stupid notions of "dying on PPV."

Comment

Cotto keep it real. He is better than that, he does not need to hype things or just talk smack. Take the Mayorca example? Was he pissed? Yeah, did he keep his composure (sp?)...hell yes!

As far as I can remember, I have never seen Cotto quit. Period. Did he belived he had enough during the Margarito fight, likely. Do the MMA/UFC fighther that "tap down" is a quitter? No. Is he a lesser man? No. Same thing.

He will beat Margarito into fugging retirement!

Comment

Originally posted by Da Boxer View Post
                Cotto keep it real. He is better than that, he does not need to hype things or just talk smack. Take the Mayorca example? Was he pissed? Yeah, did he keep his composure (sp?)...hell yes!

As far as I can remember, I have never seen Cotto quit. Period. Did he belived he had enough during the Margarito fight, likely. Do the MMA/UFC fighther that "tap down" is a quitter? No. Is he a lesser man? No. Same thing.

He will beat Margarito into fugging retirement!
                Good points. Also, I always considered the fact that Cotto may have been desperately trying to catch his breath by taking an 8 count/knee... his corner threw in the towel and Cotto is not the kind of dude to air out his corner if he had disagreed with them. And of course.. torn plaster filled wraps had A lot to do with Cotto fighting with a broken nose and drinking his own blood since round 2. This had an affect on his ability to breath properly.

Comment

This is what it boils down to. I don't knock Cotto for saying what he said but there's an aspect of this that he doesn't understand for a few reasons.

#1 - He's not Mexican

Cultures are different. That's not a knock on PR's or anything like that but when you come from poverty and a 3rd world country, it's a different mentality. In Mexico they fight to eat, not to look good or because they enjoy the sport, it's different. Many Mexican fighters have said they are willing to die in the ring and it's not a macho thing, it's the mentality they have in order to win and let's be real here, the reason Mexican fighters are so popular around the world and even the word "Mexican" carries a stigma of toughness is because of their never say die attitude. Would you watch boxing if it wasn't for guys like Marg, Chavez, Marquez, Gatti, Ward....? That's what makes it so fukin great.

#2 - Cotto does risk his life he just doesn't admit it. Anyone who steps into the ring is risking their life, one hit to the head and you could die. People die every year from boxing all over the world.

It would be like a fireman saying he's not willing to go into a burning building because he is thinking of his wife and children, it's the hazards of the job.

I have all the respect in the world for Cotto, think he's a great fighter and champion but it's dangerous when you fight a man that doesn't fear death and has nothing to lose. Marg IS willing to die in the ring and isn't "cheesy macho" he goes all out. Whether or not you think that's stupid is irrelevant. It's the truth.
                  Last edited by Cuauhtémoc1520; 11-18-2011, 12:11 PM.

Comment

I can understand what he says about his family coming first but he's dumb to bring his kids to his matches. His easy vacant belt tune ups are understandable cause they're easy fights but the hard ones, he's just traumatizing his kids.

Lmao @ people calling Cotto so classy. Dude talks a lot of crap and contradicts himself.

Comment

When it comes down to it...........margarito is just more savage. If they fought in the street to the death i'd bet everything I own on margarito. He's a different type of human being.

Now cotto is better "boxer" but he isn't about "that" life. I'm sure margarito has seen things that cotto could only dream about. Real ****.

Comment

Working...
                      X