No announcement yet.

Mike Tyson: When did his prime end?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Tyson: When did his prime end?

At what phase in Tysons career would you class him as past prime? Also please give reasons

Logan Hobson, of CompuBox, has charted punch statistics for many of Tyson's bouts. He said Tyson's trainers might or might not be to blame, but something obviously had reduced his level of effectiveness inside the ropes.

"Mike Tyson in his prime wasn't that busy, but he would jab his way in, move his head and flurry," Hobson said. "Starting with the Bruno fight, his jab output started dropping and his opponents' power-punch connect percentage began to rise. He was getting hit with punches he never got hit with before. By the time he went to jail, he was a fighter who was content just to load up on every punch. I think he got too enamored of his own power."
    http://community.seattletimes.nwsour...6&slug=2107196
    Poll to come
    Spinks
    11.36%
    Bruno
    40.91%
    Ruddock II
    27.27%
    Holyfield II
    9.09%
    Lewis
    11.36%
    Last edited by Toney616; 07-07-2010, 03:15 PM.

When he came back from prison he clearly wasn't the same. Also after that beating holyman put on him the first time was prolly the nail in the coffin.

Comment

Originally posted by sleazyfellow View Post
      When he came back from prison he clearly wasn't the same. Also after that beating holyman put on him the first time was prolly the nail in the coffin.
      I could see signs of him slipping by the Bruno I fight

Comment

Around the time of the Bruno fight in 1989.

Dont get me wrong, he was still superb! But that was the first real sign of vulnerability about Tyson the boxer. Sacking Rooney wasn't a great move, the cornerwork post Spinks was shockingly bad. His once great head movement started to be neglected too.

Plus his personal life was in turmoil, he knocked himself out driving into a tree!A KO is a KO!!! Not the best thing for the brain.

1989-1992 Tyson was still too good for Williams, Stewart, Tillman and Ruddock. I'd say that if he turned up for Buster Douglas in the shape he appeared to be in, in any of the fights I've listed above he may well have ground out a victory.

The 1996 Tyson was pretty good too, not far off the standard of the guy who met Ruddock at least, but he was nowhere near as good as he had been prior to 1989.

Comment

He mysteriously stopped the bobbing and weaving which allowed him to slip punches. This was definitely an indication. I can't remember which fight it happened though.

EDIT: LoL at the vote for holyfield II.

TS, I think we all know who that is
          Last edited by Vadrigar.; 07-07-2010, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Tyson had a very short prime.But during that time i believe he could have beat every heavyweight champion except Ali,Foreman,and Liston.Foreman and Liston are just nightmere style match-ups.Where Tyson-Ali i would give Ali a very slight edge 6 out of 10.

Comment

Yea, prime for prime I rate Tyson top 10, possibly top 5. I think Ali, Holmes, Foreman and Liston are the worst style matchups for him. But I think he given them all a really nasty argument.

Prime Bowe too.

But no doubt, prime Tyson was one of the best heavyweights ever to lace up the gloves. Everytime I watch his fights from 85-88 I see different elements of genius. The guy was damn good!

Comment

After Spinks. After that fight he fired Kevin Rooney and joined the Don King circus. Slowly and gradually the form and sucessful style slipped away. His power was enough to compete and look good in most fights but it was not enoughto win at the highest level.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                  Yea, prime for prime I rate Tyson top 10, possibly top 5. I think Ali, Holmes, Foreman and Liston are the worst style matchups for him. But I think he given them all a really nasty argument.

Prime Bowe too.

But no doubt, prime Tyson was one of the best heavyweights ever to lace up the gloves. Everytime I watch his fights from 85-88 I see different elements of genius. The guy was damn good!
                  Dang,i forgot about Larry Holmes.I would slightly give Tyson the edge 6 out of 10.But i would not argue with someone who believes prime Holmes beats Tyson.Still,less than a handfull could beat Prime Mike Tyson.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                    Around the time of the Bruno fight in 1989.

Dont get me wrong, he was still superb! But that was the first real sign of vulnerability about Tyson the boxer. Sacking Rooney wasn't a great move, the cornerwork post Spinks was shockingly bad. His once great head movement started to be neglected too.

Plus his personal life was in turmoil, he knocked himself out driving into a tree!A KO is a KO!!! Not the best thing for the brain.

1989-1992 Tyson was still too good for Williams, Stewart, Tillman and Ruddock. I'd say that if he turned up for Buster Douglas in the shape he appeared to be in, in any of the fights I've listed above he may well have ground out a victory.

The 1996 Tyson was pretty good too, not far off the standard of the guy who met Ruddock at least, but he was nowhere near as good as he had been prior to 1989.
                    I always thought that he was beatable but a lot of fighters were beaten before they got in the ring. I think that he was particularily vulnerable in the 1st Bruno fight. I don't buy into the fact that if Bruno could have followed up he would have beaten him but think that if Bruno had the skills that we thought he had he might have had a good chance

Comment

Working...
                    X