• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking news: Marquez won't fight Morales

Michael Rosenthal
    The Ring
    Feb 7th, 2011

Juan Manuel Marquez will not fight Erik Morales on a pay-per-view show April 9 in Las Vegas, Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer said.

Schaefer would say only that Marquez “decided to wait” and pursue other options. The Mexican boxing icons, who have not faced one another, had been negotiating for several weeks.

Morales will still fight on the card and has his eye on a particular opponent.

“The one guy Morales wants – he’s begging us for him – is Marcos Maidana,” Schaefer said. “The WBA is going to elevate Amir Khan to ‘Super Champion.’ That fight (Morales-Maidana) would be for the (‘Regular’) WBA title.

“I asked Erik why he wants Maidana. He thinks he had the technical skills to beat Maidana. We’re working on it. We’ll see. It would be a war.”

Schaefer also said he is “finalizing” a deal to have Robert Guerrero face Michael Katsidis in a lightweight bout on the card. Guerrero and Katsidis were scheduled to fight on a March 5 card but Katsidis pulled out because of the flooding in his native Australia.

Also, a fight between Winky Wright and Matthew Macklin is confirmed.

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/1...-fight-morales
    Last edited by ThunderWolf; 02-08-2011, 03:20 AM.

Super champion?

Another dumb title and Erik should not be facing Maidana. He is gonna get damaged.

Too much cocaine from the stories in the other threads I hear.

Comment

Wow after all these years the Piss Drinker is STILL ducking El Terrible.

Comment

Easy Payday for Maidana. Madiana by KO round 1

Comment

If Morales is fighting Maidana then who is Marquez fighting next? He shouldn't have out price himself against Manny could have pocketed 3-4M in that fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Imatroll View Post
            Easy Payday for Maidana. Madiana by KO round 1
            maidana can't even KO glass chinned amir, why do you think he can do it with el terrible?

Erik might gas out on the later round but suggesting 1st round KO is beyond ridiculous

Comment

Originally posted by AFighter4U View Post
              If Morales is fighting Maidana then who is Marquez fighting next? He shouldn't have out price himself against Manny could have pocketed 3-4M in that fight.
              I pray its Bradley, paving the way for Mabusa/Khan.

Comment

Originally posted by DET. IRONSIDE View Post
                Super champion?

Another dumb title and Erik should not be facing Maidana. He is gonna get damaged.

Too much cocaine from the stories in the other threads I hear.
                i think they are making this bogus title for maidana to get a belt and JMM vs Maidana would be for JMM's 4th weight title.. it makes sense..

sorry JMM but Erik will be the first to have it..

Comment

Originally posted by DET. IRONSIDE View Post
                  I pray its Bradley, paving the way for Mabusa/Khan.
                  i doubt it, it would be an easy gimme fight and he will wait for the winner of maidana-terrible..

Comment

Originally posted by lebrick View Post
                    i doubt it, it would be an easy gimme fight and he will wait for the winner of maidana-terrible..
                    Alexander?.

Comment

Working...
                    X