No announcement yet.

Hagler vs "Prime" Roy Jones jr

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by El Dominicano View Post
    They're using SRL as an example, nothing wrong with that....but as we all know, that isn't a prime Hagler. John Mujabi and Thomas Hearns 2 fighters that have more power then RJJ couldn't stop him. No insult to SRL but if Leonard would have faced the Hagler Thomas Hearns faced then SRL would have gone bye bye early.
    exactly. SRL was a smart man and there was a reason he fought him when he did - because he saw that Hagler's skills started diminishing and he wasn't the same fighter he once was. Not to take anything away from SRL because I still believe that was one of the most amazing wins of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by natas206 View Post
      exactly. SRL was a smart man and there was a reason he fought him when he did - because he saw that Hagler's skills started diminishing and he wasn't the same fighter he once was. Not to take anything away from SRL because I still believe that was one of the most amazing wins of all time.
      SRL even said so himself,

I read it somewhere. He said he noticed Hagler was slipping a little, slowing down etc. So he knew he could beat him.

Comment

Originally posted by T-97 View Post
        SRL even said so himself,

I read it somewhere. He said he noticed Hagler was slipping a little, slowing down etc. So he knew he could beat him.
        yeah he said he noticed it sitting ringside when he fought Mugabi. Said that was the time he knew he could beat him.

Comment

i think hagler was more in his prime than sugar at least he was still active and suger came out of retirement. i dont think roy beats the **** out of him at all but i think a prime roy does get the ud. if roy hadnt slowed down and lost those few fights i think most everyone would pick roy to win.

Comment

Either Hagler gets him out of there or loses a decision. Regardless, Roy's chin would be made to finally show its true colors to an extent it perhaps never was in any of his prime fights.

Comment

I think Roy could end up boxing him to a decsion and if it was a 12 round fight i would favor Jones by a smidge. Jones would fight Hagler more like Leonard instead of like Hearns. I do not know how Jones would deal with a prime Hagler though, it is a 50/50 to me almost no way i could pick a winner without seeing them actually fight. It would probably be the thoughest fight of both their careers because most of Hagler's big fights came at the end of his run, but a prime-prime matchup of these 2 would be insanely interesting.

Comment

interesting match up. roy would be the bigger guy, right? he's fought from 160 to heavyweight!. roy by competetive UD.

Comment

Originally posted by El Dominicano View Post
                  They're using SRL as an example, nothing wrong with that....but as we all know, that isn't a prime Hagler. John Mujabi and Thomas Hearns 2 fighters that have more power then RJJ couldn't stop him. No insult to SRL but if Leonard would have faced the Hagler Thomas Hearns faced then SRL would have gone bye bye early.
                  Exactly. And Hagler WON THAT FIGHT WITH SRL. Sugar Ray just flurried with 30 seconds left in every round and stole a bunch of them.

Tough call between Hagler and RJJ, since I love both of them, but I just can't see Roy keeping Marvin off him for a full 12-15 rounds. Hagler by late stoppage.

Comment

Working...
                  X