Thom Yorke thinks Google and YouTube are engaging in Nazi-like art theft

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thom Yorke thinks Google and YouTube are engaging in Nazi-like art theft

http://www.theverge.com/2015/12/1/98...y-stealing-art

'It's like what everyone was doing during the war, even the English — stealing the art of other countries'

I don't have the solution to these problems. I only know that they're making money with the work of loads of artists who don't get any benefit from it. People continue to say that this is an era where music is free, cinema is free. It's not true. The creators of services make money — Google, YouTube. A huge amount of money by trawling, like in the sea — they take everything there is. "Oh, sorry, was that yours? Now it's ours. No, no, we're joking — it's still yours." They've seized control of it — it's like what the Nazis did during the second world war. Actually, it's like what everyone was doing during the war, even the English — stealing the art of other countries. What difference is there?

I think Yorke's decision to compare internet piracy to the actions of Nazi's is moronic to say the least, but it's part of a disturbing trend. It seems to me the farther we get from the Holocaust the less real it becomes to some people, which makes me think of that Santayana quote, “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

But the the realities of internet piracy, is it a good thing for artists? No, but in this new information age it's really incumbent upon them to find ways to protect their material, because sadly, it is what it is....

Comment

I don't know about the comparisons to ww2 and nazism but music artists are getting shafted in the new digital age.

A lot of my favourite bands had to give up due to exhaustion as there is little money in album sales now so they have to tour year round with no gap just to break even, or worse just to eat.

It's a disheartening business to be in today unless you are a Lady Gaga or Minaj that are marketed to the kiddies.

Comment

As a former professional musician with a lot of friends still in the industry, i'd say that while the particular comparison is in poor taste, he isn't wrong. Spotify are ****ing criminals and copywrite law is in dire need of reform.

People don't like to admit it, but Metallic were right, ya know?

Comment

On the other hand if you are a new artist for instance, it has never been easier to promote yourself. Maybe it is about thinking outside the box and using digital media as an advantage. Certainly musicians do this today.

Comment

I agree with what much of what you guys are saying. I remember when cd recorders came out and I knew it was just the beginning of the end. Then came downloading and now spotify and the like. While it's true that things like YouTube and other avenues have opened up for artist promotion, it doesn't take into account what artists go through just to produce the music. Technology has made it easier but studio equipment or studio time isn't cheap, never mind a professional mix job that at a minimum is a few hundred dollars for basic engineer. So while avenues have opened up, it's harder than ever to make it because there's little to no revenue for independent artists to continue their craft.

Technology ruined the music industry and only benefitted the corporations. The brilliance of the corporations is that they've made it cheaper than ever to listen to music, so why would they complain?

Comment

This guy wants to make more money and he's pissed at free music on the internet, therefore tries to demonize you if you download his **** for free, the scumbag.

Comment

Wasn't it Thom Yorke who put up a Radiohead album for free, and listeners could choose whichever amount they wanted to pay for it.

Anyway, if you're a true supporter of an artist, you will buy his stuff regardless. This argument of 'stealing' applies to non-fans of music as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

**** 'em.

Team PirateBay.

Comment

Nobody makes good music anymore anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X