No announcement yet.

Russia - Ukraine Shared History and Conflict

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russia - Ukraine Shared History and Conflict

The Russia-Ukraine conflict has been in the news quite often, and so here is a little breakdown of the two countries intertwined past.

Both Ukraine and Russia first began in an empire that existed more than a thousand years ago called Kievan Rus. This conglomerate of states called Kievan Rus was ruled from Kiev (Ukraines present day capital) thus receiving its name. Kievan Rus encompassed majority of present day Ukraine, Western Russia, as well as Belarus.

It existed from 882 to 1240, and during its peak it was one of the wealthiest and most advanced civilization in Europe. Kievan Rus in general was composed of of 4 critical parts, which were, Kiev (Central Ukraine), Vladimir(Northern Russia), Novgorod(Northern Russia), and Galicia(Western Ukraine). This is important, because after the Mongols sacked Kiev, Kievan Rus disintegrated and splintered into these parts.

After the fall of Kievan Rus, a dynasty called the Grand Duchy of Muscovy was established in a newly formed fortress called Moscow (Present day capital of Russia). This new state eventually conquered and incorporated Novgorod and Vladimir along with many of the Northern lands of Rus. And while Moscow was subjugated to the Mongols, the two lived in relative peace, interbreeding (specifically the nobility), and sharing many of each others customs. However, Moscow eventually repelled the Mongolian horde, and became known as the Tsardom of Muscovy.

Kiev and Galicia on the other hand fell under Lithuanian and Polish Rule, so it became separated from their cousins in the north. And here is where a distinct Ukrainian identity was formed which separated them from the northern Muscovites. Eventually, the Ukrainians rebelled and repelled the Poles and formed a military state called the Cossack Hetmanate, which served as their leadership. The Cossack Hetmanate didn't come without a cost. In order to survive and thrive, they made a military alliance with the now established Tsardom of Muscovy to secure their borders.

(This Soviet propaganda poster was created specifically to celebrate that Ukraine and Russia were joined back together at the Military agreement mentioned above between the Cossack Hetmanate and Tsardom of Muscovy, and with this reunification in 1954 Nikita Khruschev the premier of the Soviet Union as a token of supposed brotherhood transferred Russian conquered Crimea to Ukraine.)

(The Cossack Hetmanate)

The Tsardom of Muscovy after creating an alliance with the Cossack Hetmanate, slowly but surely laid claim to all Ukrainian lands, and incorporated them into what was now called the Russian Empire. They eventually disbanded the Cossack Hetmanate under Catherine the Great and began repressing all of Ukrainian traditions and foundations, which included language, history, and culture, claiming that only one nation of Russia existed, and that Ukrainians were and are Russians.

Eventually the Russian Federation would implode in 1917. A Revolution brought about by Lenin disposed of the royal family and created the Soviet Union. Vladimir Lenin, who was an intelligent man and understood that many ethnic groups existed within the Russian Federation, created the rough land borders for all of the Soviet States, granting and encouraging each ones culture, language, and traditions.

After the collapse of the Soviet Union, Russia could not get over losing all of this territory and influence, and thus to this day still feels as though Ukraine is part of it and that it needs to re conquer it. Thus, the reason behind the conflict raging in Ukraine. Russia first annexed Crimea, and now is slowly attempting to re conquer Ukraine, to return to its imperialistic glory.
    Last edited by Enayze; 04-21-2015, 11:06 PM.

good read. Russia #1

Comment

Pretty much spot on, man - but also don't forget to include Holodomor - when that scum Stalin killed between 2.5–7.5 million Ukrainians (millions more in other estimates) in 1932/33 with his man-made famine genocide.

Comment

Mostly spot on.

Couple of points:

Kyiv and Halych-Volyn' did not exactly fall to Polish and Lithuanian rule. First and foremost they were seen in the rest of Europe as the successors of Kyivska-Rus. Grand Dutchy of Lithuania adopted a lot of the customs of Kyivska Rus' after it's fall, it was a slow integration but unfortunately Pole's didn't like the idea of Ukrainian territories retaining their names, and yes eventually a lot of the history was forgotten and it was seen as a more or less a culture conquered (speaking of Ukraine).

The Treaty of Pereslav signed between the Hetmanate and Moscow was very much as you mentioned a military alliance and nothing else when closely examined.

The Moscovite Church at the time had huge interest in having close ties with the Hetmanate and Kyiv as they were seen as bearers of Orthodox Christiandom of old Kyiv, hence it was the Moscovite clergy that influenced the Moscovite Tsar to sign the treaty while he was hesitant to associate with the Hetmanate for a number of reasons.

The treaty out west, in Sweden for example was seen as what today would be an agreement between two sovereigns. Later on again leading to a slow overthrow by Moscow.

But the most important point is that it's hard to argue that Moscow fought off the Golden Horde, it can be argued that the Golden Horde never left and simply assimilated with Moscovite culture, and it had an immense influence on modern Russian culture, an influence strong enough to render their Kyivan roots damn near irrelevant. Not that there is anything wrong with the two cultures mixing, but it is Russia that seems ashamed of it's Mongol blood and has historically done everything trying to rid itself of it's history, and the method they chose to do that is attempt to absorb Ukrainian culture.

Kyiv retained the Trident, and Moscow-> Russia retained the double headed eagle of the Golden Horde is the most obvious cultural example, significant considering what a coat of arms stands for.

Comment

Good informative and interesting read .

Comment

I'm an Orthodox Christian. My Father is Ukrainian and my Mother is Russian.

My Ukrainian and Russian Grandfathers fought the Nazis in World War 2

The Ukrainian Nazis, NATO, the EU, the American government and the evil Zionists are all responsible for causing the war in Ukraine.

The Rebels are heroically defending the Motherland.

If World War 3 happens, I will join the Russian Army and I will heroically defend the Motherland like my Grandfathers did in World War 2
            Last edited by Warrior2015; 07-17-2015, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Warrior2015 View Post

The Ukrainian Nazis, the Globalists, NATO, the EU and the American government are all responsible for causing the war in Ukraine.

If World War 3 happens, I will join the Russian Army and I will heroically defend the Motherland like my Grandfathers did in World War 2
              Is your father a Russian-Ukrainian or an ethnic(?) Ukrainian?

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
                Is your father a Russian-Ukrainian or an ethnic(?) Ukrainian?
                My Father is a Pro-Russian Ukrainian

Comment

Originally posted by Warrior2015 View Post

Was your Ukrainian family also starved during the 1930's by Stalin, who in the process of creating his man made famine killed off some 9 million Ukrainians?

The Ukrainian Nazis, the Globalists, NATO, the EU and the American government are all responsible for causing the war in Ukraine.
                  Right its the Nazi's, NATO, EU, America, Reptilian Aliens, Donald Duck, and Mickey Mouse who are all responsible for the war in Eastern Ukraine, and the annexation of Crimea, but clearly not Russia.

The rebel terrorists or more specifically the Russian regular army is idiotically dying and making life hell for the people of Donbass, for a pointless fantasy of the return to imperialistic glory that was lost after the collapse of the Soviet Union.

No one is attacking the motherland, it is the motherland who is attacking and invading its neighbors.

Comment

Originally posted by Enayze View Post
                    Was your Ukrainian family also starved during the 1930's by Stalin, who in the process of creating his man made famine killed off some 9 million Ukrainians?

Right its the Nazi's, NATO, EU, America, Reptilian Aliens, Donald Duck, and Mickey Mouse who are all responsible for the war in Eastern Ukraine, and the annexation of Crimea, but clearly not Russia.

The rebel terrorists or more specifically the Russian regular army is idiotically dying and making life hell for the people of Donbass, for a pointless fantasy of the return to imperialistic glory that was lost after the collapse of the Soviet Union.

No one is attacking the motherland, it is the motherland who is attacking and invading its neighbors.
                    Oh **** haha, I may actually have been wrong with my first guess about who's alt that is - my first thought was Freedom but i'm pretty sure it's that other idiot '2ofNothing' - he said the exact same thing in another thread that his father is Ukrainian and his mother is Russian 0% chance that a half Ukrainian/half Russian new account, speaking perfect English, hating the USA, and immediately becoming friends with Freedom and posting propaganda in the lounge would be a different person.

Regarding the crap that account posts, just ignore it...the guy - whoever he is - is a pathetic coward who doesn't even reside in his own apparent country and is giving the big talk about fighting in a war I'd love to see him on the front line to put him out of his misery...

Comment

Working...
                    X