Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What hits harder a long hook like Morrison threw or a short Hook like Tyson threw?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What hits harder a long hook like Morrison threw or a short Hook like Tyson threw?

Short hook = Elbow bent at 90 degrees, has much better bone and body support behind it

Long hook = Elbow bent at about 130 degrees, it had much longer range, and it travels much faster speeds because it has so much longer travel time to build up the speed.

Which has more power?

Im pretty certain the long hook is more likely to spark you out. Due to its speed and the brain being disturbed so violently.

However if they have a huge thick neck, or lots of bulk like Holy-field or old foreman, or you are going to the body I think the structure of the short hook is better because its shock doesnt get taken away as easily by supporting muscle.

watch Ray Robinsons hook, long and coming over the top.

I like the long hooks. They strike out of rythme which can surprise/stun guys which means if they ate it it will affect them more.

Tysons hook was a nuke.

Best to have both in your arsenal........
    Last edited by Rockin'; 01-03-2016, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
      watch Ray Robinsons hook, long and coming over the top.

I like the long hooks. They strike out of rythme which can surprise/stun guys which means if they ate it it will affect them more.

Tysons hook was a nuke.

Best to have both in your arsenal........
      Agreed 100% thanks Rock

Comment

Like Rockin' said, the long hook is more surprising. As far as power generated goes, any punch that isn't a straight punch has more power behind it in tight. I like the way Dempsey looked at hooks. There's no such thing as a long hook, it is just a looping left/right. Hooks should be a compact inside punch. While looping punches can get you a KO or cause some damage, if you use them too freely, that's a lot openings with significant time to counter as opposed to straight punches and compact hooks/uppercuts. If you want to loop a shot, do it wisely.

Comment

A long hook that comes to mind is Frazier's... of course he had the ability to throw both, but his highlight reals are filled with those long ones. If you throw it narrow enough and responsible enough on the back end of the punch, it can be surprisingly effective.

Comment

Frazier's left hook was in close when he was KOing people. Usually it was only a long punch when guys were moving away. He tried to keep it tight. His favorite was ducking a punch and coming up into a guy with his left.

Comment

Long hook = Elbow bent at about 130 degrees, it had much longer range, and it travels much faster speeds because it has so much longer travel time to build up the speed.

Comment

Working...
              X