Nutrition/supplement/protein help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nutrition/supplement/protein help

hey.
    there looks to be some pretty knowledgeable people on the subject of nutrition/supplements, i'd appreciate some feedback here on what i eat and possible supplements.

so around 3 months ago i started boxing again. not at the gym, yet, just at home on the bag and skipping.
    my current daily routine consists of 8-11 good rounds on the bag, followed by 4-5 rounds of skipping at a solid pace, 3 rotations a second which ill sometimes speed up to around 4 id guess, and i throw in the odd double. then ill do 35 pull ups then 35 crunches, 35 'side situps' on both my left and right side for the obliques and 35 'leg raises,' not sure what the proper term is but you lie on your back with your hands flat by your side and its like youre squatting but lying down; it works your lower abs. ill have 1-2 rest days a week.

for breakfast ill have rolled oats/porridge with a banana and a little milk. not sure exactly how much oats, around 1 cup or a little more.
    then for lunch and dinner ill eat one of the following: half a can baked beans on 2 pcs of toast. 2 pcs of toast with low fat cottage cheese and tuna. around 1.5 cups mixed veges (peas, carrots, corn, beans) and like 70-80 grams (i think) tuna which ill have with 1-2 eggs or no eggs and sweet chilli sauce. skinless chicken breast or thigh, probly around 200 grams and around 1 cup mixed veges. about once a week ill have spaghetti bolognaise.
    i only eat 3 meals a day. over 3 months ive definitely noticed myself tone up, and increase my fitness quite a lot. im not sure exactly how much weight ive lost, probly like 3 kgs, but ive gained a lot of muscle.
    i rarely eat bad foods, candy or soft drinks.

so what does this look like to you? good, bad, decent? would you recommend any supplements/protein shakes?
    Last edited by VIPrice; 05-28-2014, 09:31 AM.

Sounds like you have a good sense of what you're doing. Most people are struggling to do what you're already doing. Stick with the clean foods. Don't skimps on the fats, so long as they're healthy fats (olive oil, nuts, avocado, etc). It's really all about balance and listening to your body. If you feel drained, you can add carbs. If your muscles aren't recovering quick enough, add protein. Feeling polluted, up your fiber. Etc, etc.

The protein powder you linked looks good. Take it within an hour after your workout. The reason to take a powder it is that it digests quickly when you need protein fast (and the body doesn't digest heavy foods well, right after a workout). Add some carbs to that (I like gatorade powder but you can use juice or any number of simple carbs). Boxers need carbs after a workout.

Good work so far though. You sound disciplined. If you have any specific goals or issues, I can guide a little further.

Comment

thanks for the reply man.

i thought what i was eating was pretty good, i know a bit but i think ppl on here know more than me so i thought id check. its also very cheap. pretty much everything i know ive learned from reading on here.

what do u mean by feeling polluted? just feeling s.hit? so fiber pretty much clears out the body? im not sure if im getting enough fiber, im not sure if theres much fiber in what i eat, is there? the bread i eat is wholemeal so im pretty sure thats good. if not whatre some things u can eat to up your fiber? not that im feeling s.hit but everything helps.

id read its good to have a shake/meal within an hour after ur workout, which ive been pretty good at doing so far. usually eating the veges/tuna after the workout. what are some more simple carbs i could add to that shake, if i get it? i dont really know simple carbs apart from veges, u say juice but as far as i know juice has quite a bit of sugar in it and from what i read sugars arent a good thing to be consuming. is it that big of a deal if ur only having a little juice here and there?

oh yeah also is it a good idea to be having protein shakes when im trying to lose weight? i read on another thread someone said its not such a good idea. but im thinking since i still got a bit of flab it wouldnt really matter, and the protein shake is more for muscle repair than trying to get huge. u agree?

cheers dude
      Last edited by VIPrice; 04-01-2012, 05:14 AM.

Comment

i went ahead and bought me some protein powder. a little different to the stuff i linked, this is it

lol i know i asked a lot of questions, i just wanted to know those answers for awhile.

so basically, is it ok to have a little sugar in your diet? is there a sort of standard amount of fiber that is needed for boxers? and carbohydrates too? or just mainly after a workout?

cheers.
        Last edited by VIPrice; 05-28-2014, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by VIPrice View Post
          thanks for the reply man.

i thought what i was eating was pretty good, i know a bit but i think ppl on here know more than me so i thought id check. its also very cheap. pretty much everything i know ive learned from reading on here.

what do u mean by feeling polluted? just feeling s.hit? so fiber pretty much clears out the body? im not sure if im getting enough fiber, im not sure if theres much fiber in what i eat, is there? the bread i eat is wholemeal so im pretty sure thats good. if not whatre some things u can eat to up your fiber? not that im feeling s.hit but everything helps.

id read its good to have a shake/meal within an hour after ur workout, which ive been pretty good at doing so far. usually eating the veges/tuna after the workout. what are some more simple carbs i could add to that shake, if i get it? i dont really know simple carbs apart from veges, u say juice but as far as i know juice has quite a bit of sugar in it and from what i read sugars arent a good thing to be consuming. is it that big of a deal if ur only having a little juice here and there?

oh yeah also is it a good idea to be having protein shakes when im trying to lose weight? i read on another thread someone said its not such a good idea. but im thinking since i still got a bit of flab it wouldnt really matter, and the protein shake is more for muscle repair than trying to get huge. u agree?

cheers dude
          Originally posted by VIPrice View Post
          i went ahead and bought me some protein powder. a little different to the stuff i linked, this is it http://www.proactive.net.nz/products...rs-hi-whey.cfm
          lol i know i asked a lot of questions, i just wanted to know those answers for awhile.
          so basically, is it ok to have a little sugar in your diet? is there a sort of standard amount of fiber that is needed for boxers? and carbohydrates too? or just mainly after a workout?
          cheers.
          Good post-work-out sugars/carbs are juice, fruit, even rice, and other starches. You can use all sorts of things, so long as you keep an eye on the volume. Mayweather uses Mountain Dew during workouts. It's all about volume and context. You don't have to be scientific about it when starting out. The most important thing is not to burn yourself out by going too strict. I've seen more people fail because they got sick of it and quit than people fail because they didn't have their ratios correct. There's a lot of info out there on what a balanced diet looks like (fat/carb/protein/ fiber, etc) so I won't spend the time to go into it here. There's a reason why meals usually consist of a protein (which includes some fat in the meat or in the form of a sauce), a starch (rive, potatoes, pasta, etc), and vegetables (fiber). It's the balance that the body needs and it's what our bodies have adapted to after generations. An athlete's diet does not need to be much different (unless they're trying to make weight for an event). The only variations you really need to consider are an emphasis on protein and carbs after a workout because that's what you're body is looking for in order to recover.

As far as feeling-out your diet goes, some people can naturally do it, others don't have a feel for it. If you feel light-headed and weak after a workout, you may need carbs. If you are feeling bloated in the guts and aren't digesting well enough, you may need fiber. Sometimes your body will give you cravings to help guide you.

For drinks, try to do water as much as possible throughout the day and when you start resenting water, add a little lemon, use decaff tea, Kool-aid + splenda, etc. They are all equal to drinking water. The juice is best had in the morning (if you want), before a workout, and after a workout.

Comment

i appreciate the info, that helps. gonna tweak what i eat now.
            Last edited by VIPrice; 05-28-2014, 09:28 AM.

Comment

I must say you have a strict and systematized diet plan and you adhere to it also. Mostly people are not able to get accustomed and habitual to the diet plans they make for themselves.

Comment

Working...
              X