No announcement yet.

What are you guilty of as a boxing fan? [MAN UP THREAD]

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you guilty of as a boxing fan? [MAN UP THREAD]

While I was at work today, I was listening to some youtube boxing channels in my car and had BrickCityBoxing's latest vid up about Vidz06's latest video and it got me thinking, what are some of the things we do as fight fans that would be "generally" frowned upon, and you know deep down you're guilty of it?

I'll say I'm guilty of favoring styles over resumes. I know I shouldn't and I know it's wrong, but I always fall back into the bad habit of doing it
    Letting resume cloud my judgement
    9.09%
    Letting styles cloud my judgement
    24.24%
    Being biased towards one fighter
    24.24%
    Buying into the media-hype
    6.06%
    Favoritism towards old-time fighters in fantasy fights
    18.18%
    Favoritism towards current fighters in fantasy fights
    18.18%

I tend to favor the SRL's and Hearns of the world over just about anybody, when I really have only watched a handful of their fights.

Comment

Entering dumbass threads

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
        Entering dumbass threads
        this right here,,smh at this mess of a thread

Comment

Originally posted by come out dancin View Post
          this right here,,smh at this mess of a thread
          you have 38 posts

Comment

I honestly think this is a pretty fun idea for a thread, and I voted honestly. I think sometimes I do let the style of a fighter influence me, and with certain fighters (Spaddy, Toney, RJJ, etc) I tend to lean a little more their way.

This is only a stupid thread if people act stupid about it.

Comment

I voted styles and resumes. I have let resumes cloud my judgement. Juan Manuel Lopez is a guy I fell into this trap with (not just the undefeated record, but he had some dominant performances as well). I'm more guilty about styles though. There are occasionally guys that I can't imagine being beat, because of their particular style. I use to sort of think that way about Paul Williams for instance, and even Chad Dawson (long southpaw with a good jab and a decent pace). Of course no one is unbeatable.

Comment

If people answered honestly, it would be favoring fighters they've only watched like once or twice over anyone.

I tend to favor the slick and quick style of a fighter at times when I shouldn't.

Comment

Im guilty of not caring for fighters with horrible defense. Hit and not get hit is not just a boxing motto, it's for everyone. I also am guilty of hating on brawlers for the most part, show some ****ing skill jesus. I loved corrales vs castillo though but they actually had skills unlike bums like maidana.

Comment

i think alot of fans in the US place too much emphasis on names and never really look the resume. i heard someone say dawson was andre's best win because dawson was the LHW champ and ward has never fought a lineal champ before. but you have to consider that dawson was drained.

personally i am sometimes biased towards a favourite fighter e.g. kessler, sergio, haye etc. i also don't place as much stock in old timers - sure they had some great skills but i've seen historians say that todays mayweather/pacman would not have cracked the top guys in previous era's and i think thats bull.

excellent thread by the way. nice to have a change on NSB - green k to the TS.

Comment

Working...
                    X