Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mayweather can wait 2 weeks???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My thoughts are Floyd Mayweather doesn't want to fight Paul Williams. Margarito doesn't have a license, even though he may soon get it back, but he would probably want a tuneup fight first anyway. Miguel Cotto is grieving over his father, and probably doesn't want this fight now anyway, especially on short notice. (Any Top Rank fighter is probably out of the question at this point anyway, and Margarito and Cotto are with TR). Carlos Quintana and Luis Collazo are credible, but low-profile and not PPV draws (even less so than Mosley, who Mayweather has argued isn't a PPV draw). The bottom line is Mayweather's options are very limited, and therefore should wait until he has a credible, definite opponent before deciding on the date.

Comment

Hahaha, yep. Agree that he can fight in March then June, it ain't like he takes punishment anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by tyde13 View Post
        yes....but you are "assuming" now....

you are assuming shane is gonna beat berto.....

then you are assuming mayweather-pacquiao can be made, later this year....

let's say floyd holds off, and waits for mosley.....then mosley loses in 2 weeks to berto.....then what?

why is it not possible for floyd to fight in march....fight mosley in july (IF mosley beats berto), then be ready for a pacquiao fight in december?

it's not right to assume, a floyd return in march means he won't fight mosley or berto.
        because even if he waits 2 weeks the hatton/malignaggi/campbell/cintron fights will all still be there and he can still fight any 1 of them in may or june. By not waiting the 2 weeks Floyd looks suspicious in the same fashion pacquiao does by refusing the blood tests.

Comment

floyd hasn't fought since september, so logically, he can fight in february if he chooses to......

but mosley? training camps are usually 8-10 weeks, so if shane were to fight berto, and TAKE ONLY 2 WEEKS OFF, he would be ready for a late april fight.....which is too soon, once you are a top level prizefighter.....c'mon, NOBODY fights, takes 2 weeks off, then jumps into another training camp....

the earliest this fight can LOGICALLY happen, is may or june.....but there's no way it happens in march or april.....even if shane KO's berto in the first round.....
          Logical and boxing doesn't always go together though. You have to factor in other variables like Mosley's desperation for a Mayweather fight. If given the chance for an April fight I think logic would fly right out the window. Would Mosley dare to decide to take a vacation/rest or say it's too soon? Can you imagine the backlash? Didn't that already happen once when Mosley wanted to take a vacation after a fight and people claimed he was ducking Mayweather?

Comment

agreed. i don't think mosley is gonna win.....but for the sake of argument, assume he does win....

HOW DOES THIS FIGHT HAPPEN in "LESS THAN 3 MONTHS" ?????
            He should to see if mosley wins and then negotiate a date. Between may and september.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dreamer View Post
              Logical and boxing doesn't always go together though. You have to factor in other variables like Mosley's desperation for a Mayweather fight. If given the chance for an April fight I think logic would fly right out the window. Would Mosley dare to decide to take a vacation/rest or say it's too soon? Can you imagine the backlash? Didn't that already happen once when Mosley wanted to take a vacation after a fight and people claimed he was ducking Mayweather?
              Not that Mosley would have a reason to go on vacation nowadays anyway since he doesnt have his kids to take care of.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dreamer View Post
                as crazy as boxing is, i don't think ANY TOP level fighter, is gonna train for 2 months, fight against top level comp., take 2 weeks off, then go into another 2 month training camp for another top level fighter....

shane wants a floyd or pacquiao fight, but neither guy would put the dude in a corner like that, and tell him he has to be ready in less than 2 months, after his berto fight.....

boxing is crazy, but that'd be unheard of.....

i know amateurs, and "up-and-coming" fighters fight all the time....but once you start fighting against top level fighters, and making millions, you don't do business like that. like another poster said, you need time to rest, and let your body heal, not to mention implementing a whole new fight strategy.....that takes time. mayweather makes shane fight him in april (I WON'T EVEN MENTION MARCH), the first excuse will be that it was too soon....in this case, it would be a valid excuse.

Originally posted by shadeyfizzle View Post
                because even if he waits 2 weeks the hatton/malignaggi/campbell/cintron fights will all still be there and he can still fight any 1 of them in may or june. By not waiting the 2 weeks Floyd looks suspicious in the same fashion pacquiao does by refusing the blood tests.
                ok, but what's wrong with fighting a "tune-up" in march, as scheduled, to get back in the ring, then IF mosley beats berto, schedule that for june or july?

i don't think floyd fighting in march, means he wont fight mosley, if he wins...

IF mosley gets past berto, he'll still be there in june or july won't he?
                Last edited by FLY TY; 01-14-2010, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by renren40 View Post
                  He should to see if mosley wins and then negotiate a date. Between may and september.
                  so why can't floyd fight in march, then negotiate a fight with shane for that same time period?

Comment

ok, but what's wrong with fighting a "tune-up" in march, as scheduled, to get back in the ring, then IF mosley beats berto, schedule that for june or july?

i don't think floyd fighting in march, means he wont fight mosley, if he wins...

IF mosley gets past berto, he'll still be there in june or july won't he?
                    Because then it goes right back to your original argument. If a fight was made for june or july you expect Floyd to start training camp within a month of his fight??? Floyd needs time to recover as well. Which would mean pushing a fight back to august-october. That would be a huge letdown for boxing fans because it would jeopardize a pac-floyd fight for mid to late 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by shadeyfizzle View Post
                      Not that Mosley would have a reason to go on vacation nowadays anyway since he doesnt have his kids to take care of.
                      Haha, ouch. I'm just saying that I wouldn't put it past Mayweather to offer an April fight knowing well that Mosley just got done fighting at the end of Jan. Mosley would be between a rock and a hard place. Decline a chance of a lifetime? or accept with little time between fights?

On Mayweather's side if Mosley declined he could say "well he doesn't want to fight me" and if he accepts he trumps the Pac/Clottey matchup AND he gets a Mosley coming off a fight not too long ago.
                      as crazy as boxing is, i don't think ANY TOP level fighter, is gonna train for 2 months, fight against top level comp., take 2 weeks off, then go into another 2 month training camp for another top level fighter....
                      Vitali Klitschko at 38 years old fought Arreola for 10 rounds at the end of Sept, then came back to fight KJ in December. In hindsight you can say yeah, but KJ didn't fight, but Vitali still had his training camp and trained for a full fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X