Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the UK experiencing a golden age in boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Money Shot View Post
    It's a massive sport in the UK, you look at Groves and Froch selling 80k tickets. I doubt that would happen in any other country for two domestic fighters.
    It's not a massive sport in the UK. It wouldn't even make the top 5. You have to go into a sub-section on most sporting websites to find boxing. It's not well covered in the papers either.

Yeah for once in a lifetime massive events, the fans will turn out but it's still a niche sport here. Ask the average joe on the street to name 5 boxers and they'd struggle

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
      It's not a massive sport in the UK. It wouldn't even make the top 5. You have to go into a sub-section on most sporting websites to find boxing. It's not well covered in the papers either.

Yeah for once in a lifetime massive events, the fans will turn out but it's still a niche sport here. Ask the average joe on the street to name 5 boxers and they'd struggle
      It's really a testament to how great and passionate our fans are.

It's not a big sport here yet we fill out arenas all over the country.

Our fans are so passionate that other countries presume its a massive sport here.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        It's really a testament to how great and passionate our fans are.

It's not a big sport here yet we fill out arenas all over the country.

Our fans are so passionate that other countries presume its a massive sport here.
        Football fills stadiums every week, and that ranges from 60 k to 30k.
        Boxing does that every few months so it's not a massive sport here. However we have loyal fans who spend money to travel.

How many Mexicans, Americans or Ricans travel to other countries to another continent for their fighter? Not that many from what I see.

US fans in general seems ****ty I must say. Mayweather in the UK would be a sporting super hero. In the US he is treated kind of ****ty

Comment

Originally posted by El Campesino View Post
          Upcoming World Title fights for U.K. fighters, and all on home turf:

Kevin Mitchell vs. Jorge Linares on May 30th - W.B.C. Lightweight

Lee Selby vs. Evgeny Gradovich on May 30th - I.B.F. Featherweight

Lee Haskins vs. Ryosuke Iwasa on June 13th - I.B.F. Bantamweight

Terry Flanagan vs. Jose Zepeda on July 11th - W.B.O. Lightweight

If the U.K. wins 2 or 3 of the 4 they're on fire.
          Plus :

Crolla Vs Perez ( W.B.A Lightweight - July 18th) in Manchester

:ANYWORD:

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
            I'm not up on all their history but they seem to be churning out a lot of top notch boxers at the moment.

Tyson Fury, Anthony Joshua, Froch, Degale, Khan, Brook, Quigg, Frampton...has there ever been another era where this much world class talent has come out of the United Kingdom?
            Golden age of mediocrity glistening with stardom. You forgot Burns!

Comment

Originally posted by Money Shot View Post
              It's a massive sport in the UK, you look at Groves and Froch selling 80k tickets. I doubt that would happen in any other country for two domestic fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeKidd View Post
                Golden age of mediocrity glistening with stardom. You forgot Burns!
                I would expect it to be so. In the past many boxers admitted or were caught on some substances. As boxers use less drugs in boxing, we will get less impressive matches IMO.

Apparently baseball has seen less impressive stats since cheats were caught more but this is something I saw another poster type. So not a fact until I research it

Comment

I'm more impressed with the teeth of the U.K. world champs.

Comment

I have followed boxing for a very long time and I can't remember when there were so many champions and good fighters from the UK fighting at the same time. I would say yes this is a great time for boxing in the UK. It is also a great time for fighters from Russia and nearby areas.

Comment

Working...
                    X