No announcement yet.

Ayub Kalule

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ayub Kalule

Any serious boxing fan/historian must know of Ayub Kalule. Born in Uganda and emigrated to Denmark, where he became a part of the legendary Team Palle and won the WBA LMW title in 1979 from Masashi Kudo. He defended it four times before losing it in a hard fought 9 rounds against Sugar Ray Leonard before being stopped by the relentless prime Leonard attack. He had brought a WITCH DOCTOR with him but had to let him go before the fight.

He again fought for the same title against Davey Moore but was again stopped in the 10th. He was also stopped by marvelous Mike Bodysnatcher McCallum in 7 rounds in the next fight. He then took a year off and came back in 1984. After beating 4 solid contenders, among them Larry Holmes' brother Lindell, he beat Pierre Joly by 8th round stoppage and took the European MW title.

He then defended his title in an exciting and close battle with the great Sumbu Kalambay. He was knocked down in the 5th and 11th rounds, but rallied back to knock down Kalambay in the last round and clinched an SD win in his last impressive performance. He then made his second defence against the undefeated Herol Bomber Graham and lost by a 10th round TKO.

His final record stands at 46(23 KO)-4-0.

When he arrived in Houston, Kalule first had to dispose of Mugimba, the witch doctor imported air-express from Uganda to drum up publicity. Mugimba was the brainchild of Irving Rudd, an Arum press agent. Rudd found his man by calling the Ugandan Mission to the U.N.

" Irving Rudd here," he said to Roy Magara at the Mission. "I'd like to talk to you about Ugandan cultural things. Do you have a witch doctor?"

Magara mentioned Mugimba, a Catholic with six kids who had given up pumping gas to run a coffee plantation. They flew him in for $1,500. When he arrived, Kalule told him to get lost.

Kalule is a member of the Baganda tribe, Uganda's most prominent, and speaks four languages. "I am embarrassed," he said. "Why do they do this to me, like I am a fool? I didn't just come out of the jungle. Take him away.

Comment

Originally posted by BigMacFoster View Post
      When he arrived in Houston, Kalule first had to dispose of Mugimba, the witch doctor imported air-express from Uganda to drum up publicity. Mugimba was the brainchild of Irving Rudd, an Arum press agent. Rudd found his man by calling the Ugandan Mission to the U.N.

" Irving Rudd here," he said to Roy Magara at the Mission. "I'd like to talk to you about Ugandan cultural things. Do you have a witch doctor?"

Magara mentioned Mugimba, a Catholic with six kids who had given up pumping gas to run a coffee plantation. They flew him in for $1,500. When he arrived, Kalule told him to get lost.

Kalule is a member of the Baganda tribe, Uganda's most prominent, and speaks four languages. "I am embarrassed," he said. "Why do they do this to me, like I am a fool? I didn't just come out of the jungle. Take him away.
      Thats right. Sorry for my clumsy interpretation.

Comment

you didn't even watch his fight with kalambay.

you utter fool.

Comment

Originally posted by kaki View Post
          you didn't even watch his fight with kalambay.

you utter fool.
          Did you? If so, can you give me a link?

Comment

Working...
          X