No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Miguel Cotto: A Place on The Island

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Miguel Cotto: A Place on The Island

by Cliff Rold - Miguel Cotto has never risen to the same level of popularity achieved by Felix Trinidad. He’s never shown the artistry of Carlos Ortiz or Wilfred Benitez. The sheer carnage left in the wake of Wilfredo Gomez’s assault on Jr. Featherweight remains in its place.

That’s okay.

As preparations are completed for this Saturday’s showdown with IBF Light Middleweight titlist Austin Trout (Showtime, 10 PM EST), the 32-year old can look back on his career and know being Miguel Cotto was good enough.

In the rich history of Puerto Rican boxing, the name Cotto won’t finish at the top.

It’s not out of place in any discussion about the contributions the small island nation has given to the game.

Win or lose against Trout, given the many physical battles he’s been in over the years, it’s not unreasonable to think the end is close. This being boxing, endings come in various shades. Cotto may go on to fight until he’s well past 40. He wouldn’t be the first.

But the best of Cotto? Those moments are growing spare. No one last forever as one of the top guys. Cotto won’t either. There are plenty who think his last best moment has already come, that his brave losing stand to Floyd Mayweather in May of this year was sort of a last hurrah. [Click Here To Read More]

I'm hoping for a good fight but Trout got this. And I think Miguel Cotto win or lose should have one more fight after Trout.
    Last edited by thuggery; 11-29-2012, 03:27 AM.

Comment

cotto will rise and beat trout and his biggest win can come against canelo who he can beat

Comment

Originally posted by I'm so sorry View Post
        I'm hoping for a good fight but Trout got this. And I think Miguel Cotto win or lose should have one more fight after Trout.
        Rooting for Miguel.... but i'm no fool. Trout will humiliate him and Cotto will win via robbery, similar to the Clottey bout

Comment

If he comes in as prepared as he was for Mayweather, I don't see why he wouldn't win. He has some distinct disadvantages, but Trout is no Mayweather. It will be interesting to see, and my predictions have been laughably inept, but I say Cotto by decision, but hopefully by KO.

Comment

Win or lose cotto will be remember as one of the best of the last 10 years.what a warrior. cotto will be miss that's for sure

Comment

Can't wait for the weekend, Cotto should win this.

Boxing needs more dudes like Miguel Cotto, no doubt about it.

Comment

Cotto needs one signature win. Canelo poses that opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by Hyper Knuckles View Post
                  Cotto needs one signature win. Canelo poses that opportunity.

Imo, a rematch/win over pacquaio would be more signature, especially in the future when looking back at history. And of course a win over mayweather would be the same thing.

While a win over canelo would be huge, i almost feel canelo has to build his legend some more before a win over him becomes signature. Time will tell. One thing for sure is, cotto has a good 2-3 fights left in him (been saying 2-3 fights for years lol), and pacquaio/mayweather/canelo are the guys he has his eyes on.

Comment

I think he is a better fighter then Trinidad was i always felt that guy was highly overrated.

Comment

Working...
                    X