Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people get so worked up over negotiations?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do people get so worked up over negotiations?

when a fight is still likely a year away?

I dont get it. GGG and Canelo (and their respective promoters) will either agree on money, or they wont. Personally even though I dont think a "flat fee" deal would be in GGGs best interests, if that flat-fee was 8 figures, with free negotiation for the rematch, I would probably accept it if I were him. But people here are talking about the deal including upsides, and this, and that, and they dont have a friggin clue whats in the package. Lets all celebrate though that at least the weight issue is resolved and now it just comes down to how to split up the money.

It does crack me up though that the very same people who say GGG should pay Jacobs or Saunders some ridiculous sums of money are the very same people claiming that GGG should immediately accept whatever deal Canelo puts in front of him and shouldnt try to negiotiate (but but but b-side doe). Its laughable, and all too predictable.

I guess I just dont put a lot of stock in anything Oscar says anymore. I do hope there is a genuine offer on the table, and if its 8 figures then its certainly a credible offer.

That's what is funny to me is these negotiations from Golden Boy are for Sept 2017. That's a year away. K2 is basically saying call us when ur ready to fight. Golden Boy apparently wants to make a deal now for a fight one year away so Canelo can fight more Smiths of the world and say, hey we are set to fight Golovkin later so it's cool. K2 wants a fight now not a year away.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
      That's what is funny to me is these negotiations from Golden Boy are for Sept 2017. That's a year away. K2 is basically saying call us when ur ready to fight. Golden Boy apparently wants to make a deal now for a fight one year away so Canelo can fight more Smiths of the world and say, hey we are set to fight Golovkin later so it's cool. K2 wants a fight now not a year away.
      I understand it from both sides.

I'm a GGG fan but if Golden Boy are serious about making an offer right now to fight a year away, then i see no problem in signing it. If they're adamant they are not fighting GGG anytime before September next year, which is the case, then at least the contract will get him as soon as they're willing to fight.

But really, the most logical way to do business is to sign the contracts fight by fight and offering one for a fight 1 year away just seems like it's a fob off to get people off their backs about ducking and might give plenty of time for plans to change or get out of the fight.

Comment

believe me k2 is in no position to do that... and for the fight happening next september its more than fair that if canelo is the one going up all the way to gggs weight he deserves at least a couple of tune ups at 160 vs MW opposition, but if ggg wants it now he should send a counter offer, something like lets do it in may at 157, but we all know ggg isnt willing to negotiate a single pound...

Comment

These are my two favorite boxers along with Kovalev and they will remain my favorites even if they don't fight. I don't think Oscar wants this fight now. I think he wants it to appear he is trying hard to make the fight so fans won't lose respect for Canelo. He is too vague about the offer. Why does he say 8 figures when he could give the exact amount? I take that to mean $10,000,000 and not a cent more. I heard Khan was paid $13,000,000 to fight Canelo and if that's true why shouldn't GGG make a lot more money than Khan did? If GGG gets a flat 10 million and Canelo ends up making maybe 40 million that's not fair. Oscar doesn't say where the fight will be held or at what weight either. For all I know Oscar could be talking about a fight in Texas at 156 pounds. If I'm GGG I would hold firm on getting at least 35% of the money available to the two boxers, a Vagas location and a weight limit of 160 pounds. GGG is half of the reason the fight is so big. He is the champ at 160 and it's his title they will be fighting for. If us fans don't know the details of the offer we really know nothing. As you say, if they never fight it's not the end of the world.

Comment

Canelo is used to fighting a 155. To say he needs practice fights at 160 seems silly to me. Five pounds isn't much of a jump at all. If the fight is at 160 instead of 155 it's still just two men throwing punches at each other. 160 pound fighters fight just like 155 pound fighters only they are a gigantic 2% heavier. Five pounds is a steak dinner and a drink.

Comment

Sorry, my math was off. 160 is closer to 4% heavier than 155 but it still isn't much of an increase.

Comment

Originally posted by icha View Post
                believe me k2 is in no position to do that... and for the fight happening next september its more than fair that if canelo is the one going up all the way to gggs weight he deserves at least a couple of tune ups at 160 vs MW opposition, but if ggg wants it now he should send a counter offer, something like lets do it in may at 157, but we all know ggg isnt willing to negotiate a single pound...
                They very well could have made a counter offer since we don't know any details other than "some negotiations have taken place".

I think what will happen is after Golovkin fight Jacobs or whomever next, they'll resume for serious negotiations next year. I don't think K2 likes the idea of negotiating a fight for 2-3 fights away, a lot can happen in a year and like me, I never liked deals like that in boxing, too many variables. We'll see how it goes though but the best news out of all this is they have been negotiating, that's FAR BETTER than there has been no talks like we originally thought.

Comment

They very well could have made a counter offer since we don't know any details other than "some negotiations have taken place".

I think what will happen is after Golovkin fight Jacobs or whomever next, they'll resume for serious negotiations next year. I don't think K2 likes the idea of negotiating a fight for 2-3 fights away, a lot can happen in a year and like me, I never liked deals like that in boxing, too many variables. We'll see how it goes though but the best news out of all this is they have been negotiating, that's FAR BETTER than there has been no talks like we originally thought.
                  amen to that. Sometimes we get too caught up in how the sausage is made to remember that ultimately what we really want is the meal........

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                    Canelo is used to fighting a 155. To say he needs practice fights at 160 seems silly to me. Five pounds isn't much of a jump at all. If the fight is at 160 instead of 155 it's still just two men throwing punches at each other. 160 pound fighters fight just like 155 pound fighters only they are a gigantic 2% heavier. Five pounds is a steak dinner and a drink.
                    When you're getting naked to fight at 154, you probably should be at 160 anyway. Simple as that really. Canelo knows he can't make 154 properly.

154 was a way of avoiding Golovkin and vacating and they took a low risk fight there which was easily winnable while being drained. Now he isn't mandated to fight GGG he will move back up.

Textbook duck really.

Comment

Working...
                    X