Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it fair if Virgil Hill gets voted into the HOF but not Michalczewski?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it fair if Virgil Hill gets voted into the HOF but not Michalczewski?

I read Virgil Hill is now leading in votes so far on this year's HOF ballots.

Is it fair that Virgil Hill gets in and not Dariusz Michalczewski, who defeated him and went 48-0, winning titles in two divisions and all the belts at 175 (although he was unfairly stripped of them)?

What do you think?

http://www.boxing.com/dariusz_michal..._the_hall.html

With a final slate of 48 -2 with 38 KOs, “The Tiger” accomplished much in his career, but will it be enough to get him into the Hall this year? Let’s review his body of work.

Amateur Record

Dariusz Michalczewski first took to the ring at age 12. He came up through Poland’s Government-run sports program and had a very successful career before turning professional in 1991. His record was 133-15-2 with 83 KOs. Among his many amateur honors, he won the:

1986 European Junior Championships: Middleweight (3rd Place)
    1989 European Championships: Light Heavyweight (2nd Place)
    1990 German Championships: Light Heavyweight (1st Place)
    1991 European Championships: Light Heavyweight (1st Place)

Professional Career

In the professional ranks, he soon demonstrated that he possessed the tools and skills to go all the way. His power was matched by a strong chin. Always in top shape, he had great stamina and maintained superb fight-plan discipline and focus throughout his bouts. While he could have been a tad faster, he was a complete fighter with an overall skill level at the top tier.

In 1992, he beat tough Sean Mannion, 39-12-1, in Hamburg by third round TKO. This was an extremely impressive feat for someone in only his fifth fight and a harbinger of things to come. The tough Mannion had gone 15 with Mike McCallum and had beaten some top level people like Rocky Fratto, In Chul Baek and Fred “The Pumper” Hutchings.

The following year he beat Ali Saidi for the German International Light Heavyweight Title, the first of many belts he would garner. Just three months later, he stopped Noel Magee, 23-4-2 coming in, in the eighth round. This was for the Vacant IBF Inter-Continental Light Heavyweight Title. Later that same year, he won his third belt, the IBF Inter-Continental Light Heavyweight Title, with a 10th round KO of Mwehu Beya, 27-4-4 at the time. 1993 had been a good year for The Tiger.

These victories positioned him for a 1994 fight with rugged Leeonzer Barber, 19-1 (and out of Detroit). This fight would be for the WBO Light Heavyweight Title. Dariusz seized the opportunity and won the crown with a convincing UD. Finally, he was a world champion and he had earned it the hard way.

Three months later, he won the WBO Cruiserweight Title by defeating Nestor Hipolito Giovannini (36-7-3 at the time) by a decisive 10th round knockout. He quickly gave up that title so he could continue to campaign as a light heavyweight.
    Virgil deserves to be in the HOF but not Dariusz
    16.67%
    Dariusz deserves to be in the HOF but not Virgil
    0.00%
    both should be in the HOF, but Dariusz deserves it more
    33.33%
    both should be in the HOF, but Virgil deserves it more
    0.00%
    both deserve to be in the HOF equally
    22.22%
    neither deserve to be in the HOF
    27.78%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by The Hammer; 10-26-2012, 01:45 PM.

No disrespect meant, but I'm still disgusted by the election of Little Red. The standards are abysmal, they just let in any former champion now out of nostalgia.

Comment

Originally posted by Miburo View Post
      No disrespect meant, but I'm still disgusted by the election of Little Red. The standards are abysmal, they just let in any former champion now out of nostalgia.
      Still no Eddie Booker :/

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
        Still no Eddie Booker :/
        Or Pone Kingpetch

Comment

Originally posted by Miburo View Post
          Are you questioning the validity of Danny Lopez in the boxing HOF?

Comment

Tunney:

I don't know where you read that but the IBHOF doesn't put that kind of info out. May turn out he gets in but there's no 'tally' being put out to the public. Take that kind of crap with a grain of salt.

As to the question, I wouldn't vote either in yet (if ever...both are iffy to me) but I'd have no issue with Hill going in before. Both had similar accomplishments and Dariuz caught Hill when one was going up and the other was already 20 deep into title fights.

If Hill goes in, there is no rational reason for Dariuz not to also go in though.

Comment

this is really ridiculous. Michalczewski is one of the accomplished LHs of all time. he is in my top 5 all time light heavys. so why would he not be in the HOF?

Comment

Originally posted by Halls of Fame View Post
                this is really ridiculous. Michalczewski is one of the accomplished LHs of all time. he is in my top 5 all time light heavys. so why would he not be in the HOF?
                Dariusz barely belongs in the top 25 (I have him on the outskirts and that's debatable). Same with Hill. Top five is a little absurd.

Comment

Originally posted by Halls of Fame View Post
                  I would love to see your top 5.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
                    Dariusz barely belongs in the top 25 (I have him on the outskirts and that's debatable). Same with Hill. Top five is a little absurd.
                    Michalczewski has the record of title defences in that division with around 22 title defences.
                    Hopkins has the record of title defences at middleweight with around 20 defences, and he is in the top 5 all time middleweights on pretty much anybody's list. now look at the guys Hopkins beat in those 20 defences and then compare them to the guys Michalczewski beat. u ll find out the opponents are on the same level
                    Last edited by Salardo; 10-27-2012, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X