No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Schaefer: “I Am Not in The Drug Testing Business”

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Schaefer: “I Am Not in The Drug Testing Business”

It began with a question about drug testing for a specific fight. Earlier in the week, BoxingScene.com’s Luis Sandoval had learned that Lamont Peterson’s bout against Lucas Matthysse would not have random drug testing conducted by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency.

Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer was asked about this on May 17, the day before Peterson-Matthysse, in a conversation with David P. Greisman of BoxingScene.com and Tim Starks of Queensberry-Rules.com. Schaefer’s extended answer gave his perspective on whose responsibility he feels it should be when it comes to conducting more stringent drug testing for fights.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Comment

Bob Arum said exactly the same thing. Promoters want no part of drug-testing unless it's forced on them. Failed tests cost them a lot of money.

Comment

Thomas Hauser already ethered him on this

Comment

He'll do whatever puts the fight together, he supports better testing but can't force fighters to use it.

Comment

Put it this way, if the Promoters had the ability to do away with drug testing completely, they would. They would be very happy to just roll the dice and collect the cash.

Drug testing does nothing for them except potentially cause them to lose money. Cancelled fights and banned fighters = lost revenue. They are not out for the best interest of the fighters, they are in the best interest of their bank accounts. Especially now when it seems all fights are in house fights.

Comment

anyone caught with any illegal substances gets an automatic 2 year ban & a super hefty fine depending on their past purses.. end of story, no one will do drugs ever again. F THAT.. GET RID OF THESE DRUG CHEATS

& in the case of guillermo jones, no post fight test NO PAY NO PURSES.. anyone caught w drugs in system in post fights or dont take the test, gets an automatic L not a ND nd NO PURSE!

F THAT, GET RID OF THESE DRUG CHEATS.. why would clean fighters run 8-12 miles nd spar 12-20 rounds for their opponents to cheat?

THESE CLOWNS ARE TURNING BOXING INTO A CIRCUS
              Last edited by FrenchDeLaHoya; 05-17-2013, 11:41 PM.

Comment

“I support additional drug testing, but it cannot be the promoter’s responsibility,” he said. “We’re not a regulatory agency. We’re not in that business. We are a promoter, and a promoter promotes fights and puts fights together. A promoter does not regulate the sport and does not regulate the protocols for drug testing, and to be honest, they shouldn’t, because whether it’s me or Bob Arum or Lou DiBella or [Dan] Goossen, what the hell do we know about drug testing? We don’t know anything about it. We’re not experts in that.
                Fair enough Richie. Maybe you should giva VADA a call. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone:

1. They'll simply forward the results to the commission so you don't have to sweat all that. It's tough for the commission to regulate anything if they don't get the info
                2. It's 4x cheaper, so you can test the undercard and catch guys like Love before it's too late.

Comment

The title of these articles are too inflammatory in my opinion. Without reading the article the impression given is that Scaefer does not agree with additional testing, however upon reading the article its closer to a Judge not wanting to act without legal authority because it is the responsibility of the legislator to create laws.

I understand where he is coming from, as I believe that (in light of the boxers being caught with VADA and USADA) the boxing commissions are behaving irresponsibly in not setting more stringent rules. If I had things my way, a boxer would need to hold a licence for 6 months ( before he can fight) and they'd be tested randomly throughout the year. In addition to that the promoters would be fined and the fighter banned if they test positive for an illegal substance. That would ensure that promoters don't deal with dirty fighters, and that they take steps to ensure their investments are not being naughty.

Comment

Originally posted by reflex+speed=me View Post
                    anyone caught with any illegal substances gets an automatic 2 year ban & a super hefty fine depending on their past purses.. end of story, no one will do drugs ever again. F THAT.. GET RID OF THESE DRUG CHEATS

& in the case of guillermo jones, no post fight test NO PAY NO PURSES.. anyone caught w drugs in system in post fights or dont take the test, gets an automatic L not a ND nd NO PURSE!

F THAT, GET RID OF THESE DRUG CHEATS.. why would clean fighters run 8-12 miles nd spar 12-20 rounds for their opponents to cheat?

THESE CLOWNS ARE TURNING BOXING INTO A CIRCUS
                    Bad rumor, but the damage has already been done. He did piss in the cup, check latest. Though does sound like some sketchy stuff going on, hard to tell on which side though.

Comment

Working...
                    X