No announcement yet.

Will it be good or bad for Boxing if Canelo wins tonight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Malik Kaya View Post
    For the first time in years a Boxing fight is so hyped in the mainstream media. Everybody on the web is going crazy and talking about it. Celebrities tweeting about it to the millions of followers they have and the fight reaches to the non boxing fans. I even heard here in Romania two guys talking about the fight in a bar last night.
    So what if Canelo wins? He will be bigger than life in Mexico and among mexican americans but can he become a mainstream star in America like Floyd became after the DLH fight? What about the long term health for the sport? After Pacquaio got smoked Floyd is the only man that puts Boxing on the mainstream map. Mayweather has generated hundreds of millions and a lot of attention to our sport thanks to his mouth and his persona outside of the ring while Canelo seems to be much more humble and relaxed in the media, plus he cant speak english and its gonna take a couple of years till he will be able to hold interviews in english.

Your thoughts?

btw sorry for my ****ed up english, its not my native language
    I think it won't change the scope of the sort at all. People will say Mayweather losing is good for the sport, but that's only non-fans who say that. More big fights, and less ducking are what are good for the sport. A bigger talent pool, that starts from the bottom, from the gyms. One fight changes nothing in the sport.

Comment

It will be GREAT for boxing if Canelo wins. You get a young champion that is willing to fight all comers be the face of the sport. The actual fights will be what people talk about instead of failed negotiations and catch weights by hypocrites. Floyd is a great self promoter but he has a boring style inside the ring and rarely takes chances.
      As far as the language barrier, Canelo seems to be picking up English little by little. Pacquiao still can't speak English for **** and it never hampered his popularity. As long as you entertain the fans the other stuff takes care of itself.

Comment

Well, a rematch would definately be the biggest fight ever...

Comment

Good, as great as Floyd is, boxing needs a new face and a new cash cow.

Comment

Originally posted by DonMega View Post
            Well, a rematch would definately be the biggest fight ever...
            No it wouldn't. Maybe the biggest since he fought DLH, biggest ever? Maybe if boxing was 10 years old.
            Originally posted by KeepItObjective View Post
            Good, as great as Floyd is, boxing needs a new face and a new cash cow.
            Because you say so. I say our current cash cow is fine, and a new face is not needed.

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
              No it wouldn't. Maybe the biggest since he fought DLH, biggest ever? Maybe if boxing was 10 years old.
              OK.
              So after the numbers are released and this fight does somewhere around 2mil are you saying a rematch wouldnt do another 500k or more?
              Last edited by -MEGA-; 09-14-2013, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DonMega View Post
                OK.
                So after the numbers are released and this fight does somewhere around 2mil are you saying a rematch wouldnt do another 500k or more?
                It won't do 2 mil, and yes a rematch would be more than the first fight naturally, unless Floyd stops him early and decisively. Either way even if it somehow makes more than the oscar fight (which it wont) it still doesn't even come close to "bigest ever". "biggest ever" is more than money, it's meaning. This fight isn't that big. It's only big to people who think Canelo actually has more than a punchers chance. It's just another day at work for Floyd, and just another Floyd fight for a fan like myself.

Comment

If he deserved the win then it is a great win

if it is a robbery then it is terrible

Comment

Good for boxing IF Canelo wins honestly (deserves the win) and if he can go on to fight some big names and continue to get big wins. A new king is always a shot in the arm for the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Money Team. View Post
                      If he deserved the win then it is a great win

if it is a robbery then it is terrible
                      Beat me to it. If its a clear robbery boxing will take a long time to get its credibility back among casual observers. We will go back to the days when the average man on the street looks at boxing like he does WWF. Fake. Boxing will become a huge joke on its biggest stage and all those claiming boxing is dead will be more than happy to dance on its grave.

Comment

Working...
                      X