Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rigondeaux's comments about Mexican boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mexicans are known for being face first warriors cubans are known for defensive skill and counter punching i dont see the problem. That dont mean there are not different types fighters from each hes just stating his views was it not politically correct or something?

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
      Perhaps you're right, maybe I'm interpreting it wrong and gotta give it another listen. However, Rigo definitely comes across as a guy who feels that the Cuban school of boxing is vastly superior to Mexico's.
      Not suprising. I live in Miami. Trust me. They think Cuban boxing is superior to anything on earth.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_
        Quote:

Originally Posted by kardsufur

he's right. just cus JMM can fight different doesnt mean every other mexican doesnt fight the same

Finito Lopez, Salvador Sanchez, Marco Antonio Barrera, Ruben Olivares, ect. Not all Mexican boxers are face first brawlers and many have exhibited great skills and technique. Yes, when he think of Mexican boxing, many of us think about heart, grit, body punching, and excitement but it's a pretty broad generalization. I think Rigo is mad he doesn't have the built-in audience like many Mexican fighters have (fair criticism) but no need to generalize all Mexican fighter as mindless brawlers.
        I'm pretty sure Rigo could give two ****s. He still winning and getting paid.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
          I didn't take it that way. I think he was trying to say that Cubans have their own style and Mexicans have their style and he doesn't believe in taking one punch to land 2. He thinks its not a smart way to fight.
          That's what I think.... I mean.... I'm sure they got some ethnic/national stereotypes everywhere.

Comment

Rigo can continue to do what he wants and fight the way he wants.... in front of 20 people while making $10,000 a fight.

Comment

I heard that, too. I understand Rigo is frustrated, since his promoters and HBO want him to have a more crowd pleasing style. So, he reacts to these criticism in this manner. I didn't think it was racist, I just think he is frustrated. It's fine if he continues to fight the way he does, but he can't expect big audiences or big paydays. Like someone said, the arena was pretty much empty and people were booing throughout the fight, or at least from what I saw of it. Boxing is a sport, but it's also a business. I have to admit, I've been turning off some of these fights, lately. They are just very bad fights, stylistically. I guess, Top Rank was hoping that Agbeko would make this dude fight. But, he didn't.

Comment

Not suprising. I live in Miami. Trust me. They think Cuban boxing is superior to anything on earth.
                haha no doubt. I think Rigo also mentioned something about him growing up and his trainers telling the Cuban amateur squad that they were better than all the current pro boxers. So perhaps it's a mental thing that the Cuban boxing system instills in them. I'm Mexican-American myself and I'm a great admirer of the Cuban school of boxing, I think it's fascinating the way they train as kids in an almost militarized way. All schools and cultures of boxing are interesting in their own way. Though I do wish people would sometimes acknowledge that Mexican boxing has produced more than brawlers.

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman0811 View Post
                  I heard that, too. I understand Rigo is frustrated, since his promoters and HBO want him to have a more crowd pleasing style. So, he reacts to these criticism in this manner. I didn't think it was racist, I just think he is frustrated. It's fine if he continues to fight the way he does, but he can't expect big audiences or big paydays. Like someone said, the arena was pretty much empty and people were booing throughout the fight, or at least from what I saw of it. Boxing is a sport, but it's also a business. I have to admit, I've been turning off some of these fights, lately. They are just very bad fights, stylistically. I guess, Top Rank was hoping that Agbeko would make this dude fight. But, he didn't.

Very good points, but I feel that Rigo needs to realize it's not all about "style," but rather demographic fan base. If Rigo was Mexican/Chicano and fought the same exact way, he'd have plenty of fans but Cubans can't/don't support their own the way Mexicans do.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
                    haha no doubt. I think Rigo also mentioned something about him growing up and his trainers telling the Cuban amateur squad that they were better than all the current pro boxers. So perhaps it's a mental thing that the Cuban boxing system instills in them. I'm Mexican-American myself and I'm a great admirer of the Cuban school of boxing, I think it's fascinating the way they train as kids in an almost militarized way. All schools and cultures of boxing are interesting in their own way. Though I do wish people would sometimes acknowledge that Mexican boxing has produced more than brawlers.
                    Everyone knows that but Rigo sounded more irked at the fact that he was being **** on because he wona fight he was supposed to loose and he feels he got treated unfairly, that if he had a built in audience like any semi successful mexican fighter does and Arum saw dollar signs when he looked at him he would be treated with a fk of a lot more respect and i agree. I think skills should earn you the respect especially if you beat p4p fighters just keep matching him up with the best eventually he is bound to convert people if he keeps winning like every other successful undefeated skillful fighter out there. He has to get respect the hard way.

Comment

Lmao, as if they have many champions in boxing right now! He's just frustrated that people dont find him watchable even though he's the champ......

Comment

Working...
                      X