Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

question about the history of glove size.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about the history of glove size.

so, I'm watching leonard vs hearns I, and i noticed that the gloves looked smaller. I've never really thought much about it in watching past fights, but then i started wondering about the actually size, and how much glove size has changed through out boxing history. does anyone know anything regarding this?

Originally posted by AntonTheMedium View Post
    so, I'm watching leonard vs hearns I, and i noticed that the gloves looked smaller. I've never really thought much about it in watching past fights, but then i started wondering about the actually size, and how much glove size has changed through out boxing history. does anyone know anything regarding this?

I was watching a Saad Muhammad fight from 1980, and he and his foe had on 8oz Reyes gloves....at 175lbs. They definitely looked small, but they also looked RIGHT to me. Now with everyone above 147(?) wearing 10oz that usually aren't Reyes but puffy Everlasts or Grants- no wonder the KOs aren't happening like they once did.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
      I was watching a Saad Muhammad fight from 1980, and he and his foe had on 8oz Reyes gloves....at 175lbs. They definitely looked small, but they also looked RIGHT to me. Now with everyone above 147(?) wearing 10oz that usually aren't Reyes but puffy Everlasts or Grants- no wonder the KOs aren't happening like they once did.

it's a huge deal, the glove types and sizes. it's also a hell of a lot easier to parry shots and cover up when you've got such huge gloves on, contributing i'm sure to the defensive styles that you see primarily in contemporary boxing.

Comment

Robinson and Fullmer fought with 6 oz gloves in their 2nd fight and Gene said it was the first and last time he'd use gloves that small

Weren't the Boxing gloves in the early 1900s 5 oz?

Comment

Originally posted by monkey skeleton View Post
          Robinson and Fullmer fought with 6 oz gloves in their 2nd fight and Gene said it was the first and last time he'd use gloves that small

Weren't the Boxing gloves in the early 1900s 5 oz?
          really? can you imagine that **** now?

personally, I'll never understand why a jr middle has to wear the same size gloves that a heavyweight does.

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
          yeah, that's what I'm trying to figure this out. when and why did it change?

i feel like this isn't something that's talked about much.

Comment

I like 6oz gloves up to the feathers, then 8oz up to the welters and 10oz the rest of the weights up. I prefer a tappered glove simular to Reyes instead of Everlasts. My personal preference is for Ben Bow gloves in 6 or 8 oz models. They fit great and were abit harder than most brands too. Beautiful design to me! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
              I like 6oz gloves up to the feathers, then 8oz up to the welters and 10oz the rest of the weights up. I prefer a tappered glove simular to Reyes instead of Everlasts. My personal preference is for Ben Bow gloves in 6 or 8 oz models. They fit great and were abit harder than most brands too. Beautiful design to me! Ray.

6 oz is too small for a modern FW. that leaves for very little padding over the knuckles. the big guys can walk into the ring at 140 + when they're young and dehydrating. they'll tear each other apart.

can you imagine mikey garcia punching somebody his size with a six ounce glove?

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                6 oz is too small for a modern FW. that leaves for very little padding over the knuckles. the big guys can walk into the ring at 140 + when they're young and dehydrating. they'll tear each other apart.

can you imagine mikey garcia punching somebody his size with a six ounce glove?
                yes. and it would be awesome to watch. terrible for them, but awesome to watch.

Comment

Has anyone considered the fact that more weight held in your hand adds more power to the punch delivered? Your eye hand coordination needs to be elevated with a smaller glove on your hand and that adds technique. Methods & Techniques seem to be lacking in a lot of so-called "top fighters" these days. Fighting inside and actually knowing how to "sit down" on punches are a fading art form. I remember Pep telling me about using 4oz gloves in smokers when he was a kid!! I used Ben Bow 6oz in Mexico City in the mid 60s and I loved that fit and form. Well tucked thumb but didn't feel awkward and plenty of wrist support and enough padding for me. Great craftsmenship! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                    Has anyone considered the fact that more weight held in your hand adds more power to the punch delivered? Your eye hand coordination needs to be elevated with a smaller glove on your hand and that adds technique. Methods & Techniques seem to be lacking in a lot of so-called "top fighters" these days. Fighting inside and actually knowing how to "sit down" on punches are a fading art form. I remember Pep telling me about using 4oz gloves in smokers when he was a kid!! I used Ben Bow 6oz in Mexico City in the mid 60s and I loved that fit and form. Well tucked thumb but didn't feel awkward and plenty of wrist support and enough padding for me. Great craftsmenship! Ray.

When I fought we sparred with 16oz gloves and fought with 12's. I've also had underground experience fighting with 10's and against 8oz gloves my hands would not fit in. I can say with 100% conviction that I'd rather be hit with a 10 or 12oz glove than a 16oz glove any day of the week. My one MMA fight we fought in 4oz gloves and that was more painful to be hit with but didn't seem to rock you as badly as a bigger glove. Than again I was only hit with one or two clean punches during that fight so my experience there is very limited to say the least.
                    Last edited by JAB5239; 08-16-2012, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X