Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Broner: After Mayweather is Done, I'll Take Over Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We don't use words like Ghetto or whatever in the UK, so it's hard to actually know what you mean by it. I've seen it used in different ways. When I live in the US, i've seen it to mean 'trashy' people, but I don't think that's the best description

Broner has skill, no doubt about it. Same with Mayweather. I'm not talking about how they do in the ring though.

However.. boxing is becoming increasingly more globalised. The style that Mayweather and Broner pull off (i.e the lavishing money all the time, acting like a gangster, hip-hop stuff, wearing lots of gold, usually seen around the rap scene) is not going to attract anyone outside of the US, especially in Europe where boxing is on the massive rise. Broner's ring entrance was seen as a massive joke over here in the UK, it was hilarious in a very sad way. You can argue that he doesn't need to attract us, but it won't be that way forever.

But I live in the US for just under half the year, every year. I can emphathise with people who disagree with that type of personality. If you are a sports personality, i've always argued that you are potentially role models, and presenting yourself in such a disrespectful and tasteless way isn't the way i'd go about it. People may look at someone burning and lavishing money, and think, oh that's what boxing is about now. Extravagance and arrogance are different.

No it isn't a race thing. I like the "boxing needs a villain" argument though. Does being a villain really mean burning money in front of people? I always thought being the villain was being a Mike Tyson type of guy - i.e knocking people out left right and centre and acting like a bad ass.
    Last edited by techliam; 02-12-2013, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by techliam View Post
      We don't use words like Ghetto or whatever in the UK, so it's hard to actually know what you mean by it. I've seen it used in different ways. When I live in the US, i've seen it to mean 'trashy' people, but I don't think that's the best description

Broner has skill, no doubt about it. Same with Mayweather. I'm not talking about how they do in the ring though.

However.. boxing is becoming increasingly more globalised. The style that Mayweather and Broner pull off (i.e the lavishing money all the time, acting like a gangster, hip-hop stuff, wearing lots of gold, usually seen around the rap scene) is not going to attract anyone outside of the US, especially in Europe where boxing is on the massive rise. Broner's ring entrance was seen as a massive joke over here in the UK, it was hilarious in a very sad way. You can argue that he doesn't need to attract us, but it won't be that way forever.

But I live in the US for just under half the year, every year. I can emphathise with people who disagree with that type of personality. If you are a sports personality, i've always argued that you are potentially role models, and presenting yourself in such a disrespectful and tasteless way isn't the way i'd go about it. People may look at someone burning and lavishing money, and think, oh that's what boxing is about now. Extravagance and arrogance are different.

No it isn't a race thing. I like the "boxing needs a villain" argument though. Does being a villain really mean burning money in front of people? I always thought being the villain was being a Mike Tyson type of guy - i.e knocking people out left right and centre and acting like a bad ass.
      mike tyson was never really a villain in the boxing world. its not at all the same thing.

Comment

@people crying about athletes outside of their sport. What kind of pu$$y world is that. Broner's job is to fight and that's all I care about. Couldn't give two ****s what he does outside of the ring. Broner must be doing something right if rarely anyone knocks his skills, but instead they cry that he's ghetto.

Comment

Originally posted by techliam View Post

I'll never understand how that's become the norm, every time a top athlete acts up the first thing that gets thrown in his/ or her face are "What about the kids that look up to you and see you as their role model?", this is why society stinks and athletes can no longer be true to themselves, they have to hide the fact that they themselves are drenched in sin, jus' like any other human being, we're imperfect. Humans aren't suppose to be idolizing other people, that's gay to the highest degree. As fans I solely care for his performances in the ring, if his actions outside the ring doesn't involve boxing don't expect me to give a shit.
          Last edited by Doctor_Tenma; 02-12-2013, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Can't spell "Gavin Rees", says it all. I hope Rees headbutts Broner's face to pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy View Post
              Humans aren't suppose to be idolizing other people, that's gay to the highest degree. .
              It's been demonstrated repeatedly by psychologists, social-psychologists, and sociologists that this is a natural part of human behavior, so no, it's not 'gay to the highest degree'.

You don't choose to be a role model. When you are elevated in status you become one, as people start to associate your behavior with your success and status. Why do you think famous and successful people are used to advertise products? It's that simple, and unless you think you rewire the brains of the entire human race then there's nothing you can do about it.

Comment

I do believe Broner's attitude is again just like Floyd's a character. I mean look at what he has done. He has people making multi paged threads about him and not even in relation to his next opponent. For someone who is not yet universally accepted as elite he is getting much more attention than other boxers at his level. If he keeps winning he will indeed be one of the faces of boxing. But the wins are yet to be seen.

Comment

Before Broner carries anything, he needs to stop fighting midgets so he can start at least being taken seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by MANIAC310 View Post
                    Demarco was eating out of trash cans. He probably had a worse upbringing than all of them and he's not ghetto at all.

How is Broner holding money 'ghetto' and Demarco looking like he's from London, not ghetto?

How many people from the Ghetto you know hold big stacks of cash up to their ear Not many ghetto kids can afford to do that.

Comment

Broner is missing something though, I don't see him going over 35-0. Even if he cherry picks his way up.

Comment

Working...
                      X