Groves Vs Degale II ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Groves Vs Degale II ?

An article from SkySports :

Groves or DeGale: both are on Saturday's bill but what will happen if they meet again?

They don't like each other and they never will. George Groves has beaten James DeGale as an amateur and a pro and by all accounts they are likely to fight again. The Panel waste no time in telling us who they think will win...

There is talk of a rematch between arguably the bitterest rivals in British boxing. So quite simply, who wins? Groves or DeGale?

Johnny Nelson
    : I picked James DeGale last time and I will pick him again. I like his style, his pace and his pressure because it's all unorthodox and I get that. Since that first fight, I think James had learned more and improved more than George. Both have improved but look at the level of opponents; yes George has had those two big fights with Froch, but DeGale's level of opposition has been consistent and risky - and he has won and won well. I hate to say it and I hope I am wrong, but I have a feeling that brilliant performance in the first fight against Froch, was as good as Groves is going to get. So I would go for DeGale... just.

Glenn McCrory: That's a great question. I had DeGale winning the first one but who has improved more? Well, I've got to say George Groves because he has been on the biggest stage and nothing has dented his confidence - even those losses. Carl Froch doesn't want either of these so I think this could well be the next big one for them and I've got to side with Groves. I like Groves a lot. I like DeGale a lot. But the one advantage Groves has is his ability to get in people's heads. He got in Froch's, he got in DeGale's - and he would do it second time around. Groves would have to use the raiding tactic, getting in and out or DeGale will roll all over him. But the simple fact remains that Groves bought the very, very worst out of James - and I think he would do it again.

Jim Watt: I actually thought James DeGale nicked the first fight, with that southpaw stance and awkwardness. But if there is a return I hope we are going to see better action and I suspect we will, simply because there is more at stake. DeGale must still be kicking himself for not winning the first time; he may have thought he had it in the bag because I feel he let it slip. Well, he wouldn't make that mistake again and yes, it would have more on the line. Both have grown up and matured, so it would be close again. But I would just go for DeGale to win it.

Paul Smith: I think George Groves beats James DeGale, every day of the week. James is a better fighter and I know he has improved but I just think George has his number. The one thing James has on his side, and it's a huge attribute, is that awkwardness. There is only one way of coping with that, and there is one man who has seen him first hand and sparred hundreds of rounds with him - and that's George Groves. We have seen plenty of fighters fail to negate those awkward tactics and George did it very well indeed in that first fight. I had James winning it but I suspect this is one of those rivalries where one fighter has the beating of the other. It's like Evander Holyfield and Mike Tyson; I always thought Tyson was a better fighter but Evander would have beaten him seven days out of seven.

Jamie Moore: I've got to say I fancy James DeGale's chances. I was really impressed with him on the undercard at Wembley, where he looked like he had turned a corner in his career. He boxed with more authority and his ringmanship showed me he has grown in confidence. DeGale looks like he has improved just a little bit more than George since the first fight. I had that one down as a draw because you couldn't split them, so going on that basis, I think DeGale would do it this time. Yes, Groves has boxed Froch twice but two defeats are two defeats, and DeGale hasn't had any and has a nice momentum going.

Groves got a sympathy decision from the judges in the first fight.

DeGale sparks him out in a rematch

Comment

DeGale would end Ugly Kid's career.

Comment

De gale is and always will be the better fighter of the two

Comment

I can see it being another close fight, like the first. At the moment, i'd pick DeGale to win.

I can't remember quite how i scored their 1st fight..might have to rewatch it. Was planning on rewatching Cleverly Vs Bellew 1 also before the weekend. I haven't see it since watching it live at the time.

Comment

DeGale is on the rise now, open question which direction Groves will really go now. I am a fan of his but we'll see what happens.

Groves might have his number like Jamie Moore pointed out but I think I'd lean with Degale if a rematch were to happen next.

Comment

I see another close dull fight but with Degale the winner this time (I thought he won the first fight too).

I don't ever see them meshing well unless Groves decided to be more aggressive

Comment

Picked DeGale the first time and he let that fight slip, imo it should have been a draw but didn't mind Groves getting the decision, it was just that close. But Groves has come much further in the time since, he has picked up speed, his footwork is better and he hits even harder.

I still see DeGale with that same amateruish style, quick but not as quick as he thinks, moves ok at times but can often get stationery, showed decent power but Groves hits harder.

Groves by wider decision.

Comment

Boxing is largely mental, and Groves is still burdened with losing to Froch twice and he may never truly get that monkey off his back.

Comment

How can anyone say Degale has improved more?

He's literally exactly the same and fights exactly the same as he did in 2011. And he hasn't fought anyone good except for maybe Dyah Davis who's really just mediocre.

Groves on the other hand is much improved.

Regardless, these two will always have close fights imo.

Comment

Working...
                    X