Joining a Boxing Gym, is it worth it?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also I pay 40 a month for weights and boxing and good trainers too

Comment

come on man ..i think he's just a beginner !!

Comment

here in phils i pay $40 a month = P1600 ! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Bullrush View Post
          What in gods name do you do there for 4 hours a day? If the training is somewhat decent and you're not sitting on your ass the whole time you should be done in 60, 75 or 90 minutes. That's a workout for boxing. Do you lift weights after/before the boxing training begins? I mean what do you do there for 4 hours, i don't get it.

And how are we supposed to know whether it's worth it or not if we don't even know the fees you have to pay? If it's around 50 bucks i guess it's worth it since you're spending that much time in the gym.

A shorter, much more intense workout would be better though. Just my opinion.
          4 hours is NOT abnormal for serious boxers. You obviously must just box for fun, which is fine, but no serious boxers can get all that they need in a 60-90 minute workout. In total most boxers spend AT LEAST 3 hours of hard training in the gym, and another hour doing roadwork EVERYDAY. That's 4 hours buddy. And many do more. Don't post and give advice unless you know what you're talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by rskumm21 View Post
            4 hours is NOT abnormal for serious boxers. You obviously must just box for fun, which is fine, but no serious boxers can get all that they need in a 60-90 minute workout. In total most boxers spend AT LEAST 3 hours of hard training in the gym, and another hour doing roadwork EVERYDAY. That's 4 hours buddy. And many do more. Don't post and give advice unless you know what you're talking about.
            you're a dunce, no offense. if you do 4 hours then you're sitting on your ass half the time. dont say its intense, because its not. your body couldnt survive 4 hours of intense training. and dont throw around with dumb facts that you just made up. a muay thai world champion and a kick boxing champion run our gym, nobody in the gym goes for (much) longer than 90 minutes. let alone 4 hours.

im not saying you cant go 4 hours, im not saying its wrong to do 4 hours. im just saying that 4 hours of INTENSE training each day is horse ****. you probably dont know what intense is. its not sitting around, talking to people, walking around, taking 20 minutes to put on gloves, go drink some water here and there, take a piss, take a brake every 15 minutes and all that ****. but i dont know anything and neither do the guys and coaches that actually have been there and done that (champions). you go on with your 4 hours of "intense training" every day. how are you not a world champion yet? your cardio must be up there with sea biscuit or something

Comment

Originally posted by rskumm21 View Post
              Originally posted by Bullrush View Post
              you're a dunce, no offense. if you do 4 hours then you're sitting on your ass half the time. dont say its intense, because its not. your body couldnt survive 4 hours of intense training. and dont throw around with dumb facts that you just made up. a muay thai world champion and a kick boxing champion run our gym, nobody in the gym goes for (much) longer than 90 minutes. let alone 4 hours.

im not saying you cant go 4 hours, im not saying its wrong to do 4 hours. im just saying that 4 hours of INTENSE training each day is horse ****. you probably dont know what intense is. its not sitting around, talking to people, walking around, taking 20 minutes to put on gloves, go drink some water here and there, take a piss, take a brake every 15 minutes and all that ****. but i dont know anything and neither do the guys and coaches that actually have been there and done that (champions). you go on with your 4 hours of "intense training" every day. how are you not a world champion yet? your cardio must be up there with sea biscuit or something
              Learn how to read assclown. And if you knew **** about boxing you'd know that it's not horse ****. To some guys this is their life, not just some fad like it will be for you. If all you train is 60-90 minutes then either it's just a hobby for you or your just a *****. Why do I get the feeling that in your case, it's the latter of the two?

Comment

RSKUMM is correct !! Pro - fighters, especially at the elite level do generally train on average 3-4 hours per session(not including the roadwork they do in the morning). Now, I don't know if that's how they train year round or just when they're preparing for a fight. My guess is, the 3-4 hour sessions are when they're deep in training !!

Below is a recent training video of PAC. The interviewer that recorded this made a comment on Yo*tube and stated that PAC had already put in 3 hours prior to him filming this heavy bag routine and that's why we we're not seeing the same energy and explosiveness we're all used to seeing. This interviewer has followed PAC all throughout his other training camps.

Now, does it mean that every pro-fighter trains 3-4 hours. Maybe not, it depends on that particular fighter's work ethic, what his coach's philosophy is. I heard Emmanuel Steward was/is not big on those long training sessions.

The best person to ask is our very own ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY, he was a former pro boxer who has sparred with some of the sport's best, like RJJ and James Toney.
                Last edited by jimmy webb; 03-03-2010, 12:21 AM.

Comment

4 hours in the boxing gym? really? i'd say one in a half to two hours at the most...but not even that unless you're really trying to sweat...pro's do that because they usually have weight to try and cut...a lot of that is to get their bodies re-acclimated to the motions and movements and working off rust...a beginner does not need to do that at all...you wouldn't last...

Comment

think about what you're doing...a beginner isn't going to go full 3 minute rounds in sparring...they won't be doing 4 rounds on the speed bag...they won't be doing full rounds on the heavy bag...none of that...if you say you went into the gym in your first 3 months and did 4 hours a day...you're lying...

Comment

Originally posted by screwhead1 View Post
                      4 hours in the boxing gym? really? i'd say one in a half to two hours at the most...but not even that unless you're really trying to sweat...pro's do that because they usually have weight to try and cut...a lot of that is to get their bodies re-acclimated to the motions and movements and working off rust...a beginner does not need to do that at all...you wouldn't last...
                      thank you.

@jimmy
                      we're not talking about training camp here so this comparison doesnt really work. but actually you just proved my point, you can already see in the video how dead tired pacman was after "only" 3 hours. what you see in the video is not what people consider "intense" workout. its just not. you can do this for 4 hours if you want to but this is just not intense. if you dont believe me go pull out tape of manny working the heavy bag in the first hour of his training session and then compare it to what you see in the video. thats a day and night difference. what you see in the video is just him cooling down, he was probably about to wrap up training at that point.

Comment

Working...
                      X