Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Long is HBO Going to Stay in the Boxing Business?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Long is HBO Going to Stay in the Boxing Business?

HBO used to be boss and would squash Showtime if they even thought about interfering in their plans at all, and now HBO could be letting what is one of the best fights they could make slip away.

That is not a good look for them at all, making the King of Boxing look rather frail~

HBO looks to be on the outs with boxing I would say within 4 years they don't show boxing any longer, unless something changes.

That would be terrible and it is not an outcome I want to see because that would be a huge loss of capital for the sport but really look at it, is HBO really in this sport for the long term anymore? I don't see it. HBO's thing used to be building stars 1 round at a time and the biggest stars now all got built on HBO, but who is HBO really building to replace them, there are a couple guys they seem to be trying with and you never know which guy will really make it but the effort just doesn't seem the same (how could it be the same when HBO doesn't have the abilities it once had).

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

HBO probably dies in a couple weeks, showtime by TKO.

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
        I didn't say anything positive about Showtime, and I certainly don't want to see HBO go away. Watching HBO for a long time this is how it has seemed to me, and I do think it is an interesting topic as the sport could be changing dramatically.

Still I would hope to be wrong HBO is very important to the sport, another network could come in but would they spend like HBO? Possibly there are a ton of sports networks now but it would likely be a combination rather than just one

Comment

HBO has some great shows so maybe boxing has taken a back seat. Maybe Hersman was hired cause he has experience with smaller budgets and thats was what was coming.

Just guessing

Comment

Originally posted by Fetta View Post
            HBO has some great shows so maybe boxing has taken a back seat. Maybe Hersman was hired cause he has experience with smaller budgets and thats was what was coming.

Just guessing
            Boxing used to be hugely important for HBO, but now I think documentaries are probably more important to them than boxing.

Which sucks, although their documentaries are pretty good

Comment

So they're going down the drain because Al Haymon is demanding too much money for Stevenson vs the Polish/Chicago kid?

Comment

Originally posted by ***1048;ATAS View Post
                So they're going down the drain because Al Haymon is demanding too much money for Stevenson vs the Polish/Chicago kid?
                It is a more long term observation, that is just a symptom.

Seriously how often has HBO let Showtime piss in their Cheerios ever, it is a recent phenomenon
                Last edited by The Gambler1981; 03-24-2014, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ***1048;ATAS View Post

Yeah I don't understand wtf this thread is about...

HBO is still #1 in Boxing.

Comment

i dont think they are looking to get out of the business, they seem to be making cutbacks though which is a shame. as for stars who still have plenty of years left they still got GGG, ward, garcia, donaire, bradley etc just to name a few.

idk why they let stevenson go so easily, big mistake despite his age.

Comment

Working...
                    X