Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what i/you thought Paul Williams could've been.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what i/you thought Paul Williams could've been.

I was very high on williams early in his career. Even with his first loss to Carlos.I think around that time, he should gotten a real seasoned trainer to help him mold his such tall frame and his crazy work rate. Ever since the redemption to carlos, he was on his way down. Never imposed his reach or height, relied too much on slapping punches and rrelying on a granite chin. It cost him. He thought fighting life and death with an unrepared martinez was goingto win him the rematch.

Well I wanted Paul and saw him being a champion in 147, 154, 160 and maybe even 168. His frame can carry 175+ easy imo. But he was so set on fighting smaller fighers for a eady route imo. If he could actually developed better footwork and a lethal jab with his work rateand box smarter, I can bet you Williams would gave hell up to 175. I promise you that. But when youra chinfirst, workrate and think you not going to get countered, you lose and its too late for Williams. His prime took a hit in the first Martinez fight and taken awayin therematch.

Anyway, what were your hopes for Williams? He could've done and been doing a lot. Trainers makeor break a fighters great career imo

Never really liked him, from his goofy arrogant attitude, to his excessive use of "nam sayin'" and his style for his height was always dumb to me.

He made it this far on his workrate, now he's got nothin to rely on

Comment

he was a entertaining fighter but his lack of defense and jumping up and down in weight can't lead to a long career,he beat some good fighters (all close questionable wins besides old winky)
      winky-old
      martinez
      margarito
      cintron

Comment

Originally posted by .WaRCoTTo. View Post
        Never really liked him, from his goofy arrogant attitude, to his excessive use of "nam sayin'" and his style for his height was always dumb to me.

He made it this far on his workrate, now he's got nothin to rely on
        Because magically his workrate will change?

??

Comment

He has 2 losses.

He also beat both of those guys.

His career is far from over. I favor no one to beat him at JMW not named Martinez.

Comment

His height should been common sense. He has heavyweight reach. He could been jab jab jab and landing smart power shots in between and use footwork to move angles. I believed he was a decent athlete.

The weight is another thing too, he should dumped 147 plans, unify 154 then sit at a better 160,make moves and with a new style try 168. He honestly could've done it. But when your trainer and yourself think the style he had of no defense, slapping his way and having a chin to take shots and not box smart he ruined any chance. I mean if I got monter reach and stamina, you best believe I'm stay on te outside. And I'm pretty sure that style would been fun to watch.

Williams could had Hearns skillset just without the power and with a chin nd workrate imo

Comment

Originally posted by No Ceilings View Post
              He has 2 losses.

His career is far from over. I favor no one to beat him at JMW not named Martinez.
              You should wait to see how that ko has affected him before making that statement

Comment

He has 2 losses.

Reasonn I bring this topic is he's planning to retire after maybe 3 more fights. And you can't deny the martinez fight had a factor in that decision. It just disappointing, he could been making big moves , not saying he wasn't, but he could done a lot more

Comment

You put it perfect bra! I agree 100%. Its to late for paul! He learned the wrong way to box for his body structure. He has the heart, chin,reach,stamina and height but with the wrong style it doesnt mean ****. Boxing is a very hard sport. With out drugs in your system your career will be very short, if your a brawler who takes alot of punches, its common sense. Paul has been damage beyond repair mentally and physically. Good thread bra!
                  Last edited by SWEETSCIENCE100; 06-26-2011, 10:20 PM.

Comment

He has 2 losses.

Canelo and angulo could take him out.

Comment

Working...
                    X