No announcement yet.

Was Julio Cesar Chavez overrated?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asian Sensation View Post
    Five year old thread, wow, I wish everyone had to account for the things they said when they were in high school.

LOL in a way, I do think Chavez was the kind of fighter that made for great fights against the right fighters but wasn't a versatile boxer-puncher like Floyd Mayweather Jr. There was a clear mold for what beat him and it was those with solid boxing skills and good chins.

I think a rematch against Whitaker would have been great for boxing to clear up any misunderstandings but I doubt Chavez's people were hyped for that fight.

I still do think that Azumah Nelson would have beaten him as well.

Realistically though, whatever my thoughts are they are just that, my thoughts. I am entitled to my opinion and no one is going to tell me that mine is worth any less. If this is some attempt to tear me down and build yourself up in the process, best regards.
    I totally get what you are saying. I'm wildly embarrassed by things I said here three years ago when I started following the sport.

I will say that Meldrick Taylor was Taylor-made (LOL) to beat Chavez, and Chavez found a way to take him out.

I like you a lot, but you are a bit too defensive though... the first paragraph concedes that you were wrong back then, which is totally respectable. I will always respect those who change their opinion based on what they learn. But the last paragraph is a giant **** off, because someone questioned you. The big knock on you around these boards is that you are too pretentious, and have a wild desire to always be right. It's cool to let go and tell people that you were wrong at one point, learned things about the sport and have gotten a more educated opinion.

Some people think it is bad to be proven wrong... I find it worse to have studied something for 5 years and have learned nothing.

Comment

Five year old thread, wow, I wish everyone had to account for the things they said when they were in high school.

LOL in a way, I do think Chavez was the kind of fighter that made for great fights against the right fighters but wasn't a versatile boxer-puncher like Floyd Mayweather Jr. There was a clear mold for what beat him and it was those with solid boxing skills and good chins.

I think a rematch against Whitaker would have been great for boxing to clear up any misunderstandings but I doubt Chavez's people were hyped for that fight.

Realistically though, whatever my thoughts are they are just that, my thoughts. I am entitled to my opinion and no one is going to tell me that mine is worth any less. If this is some attempt to tear me down and build yourself up in the process, best regards.
      They are your thoughts, but if you put them up on the internet, you expect them be responded to (unless you're one of these arrogant fools who put their thoughts up and refuse to hear anything response about them at all as if whatever you say is right and everyone else is wrong) in many ways from other peoples thoughts and opinions and if you cry about it, then why put them up? Keep them to yourself if you don't like the response you get, because if you make a silly thread that is just wrong, then you should either take it on the chin and forget about it.

If you put up a thread, expect it to be responded to and don't expect everyone to agree with you because you may actually be wrong *gasp*.

Comment

Maybe he was but he isn't now. A record like 89-0 will make anyone look better than they are, not that Chavez wasn't great.

Sometimes he gets unjustly classified as a face-first brawler which he was far from. Before anyone says I'm exaggerating, watch ESPN's recent top 20 greatest fighters list. They ranked Chavez #19 yet said he was basically just a tough guy.
        Last edited by TheGreatA; 05-21-2010, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Ignore me Ryan I came home in a foul mood last night and got pissed up.

Comment

I wouldn't go as far as to say he was overrated but his son surely is lol..

Comment

Chavez was a damn good fighter with an unbelieveable chin, above average power and decent hand speed. He does get overrated just a little bit though. Still I say he is easily top 100 ATG, I rate DLH a little higher than Chavez, I may get ****ted on for this but DLH was overall better than Chavez...no offense , Chavez fans, just an honest opinion.

Comment

No way was this guy overrated if you ask me i think De La Hoya was overrated rather than Chavez

Comment

Originally posted by venom1 View Post
                  No way was this guy overrated if you ask me i think De La Hoya was overrated rather than Chavez
                  I think De La Hoya is a little underrated now. He is one of the best of all time (or at least best of the modern era) in terms of quality of opposition faced. He lost a lot of his big fights later on, but at the start of his career he was very impressive.

Is Julio Cesar Chavez overrated? It depends on who is rating him. I have seen some people putting him in the top 10, which I think is overrating him. Bert Sugar has him at #17 with Pernell Whitaker down at #48, which I don't think makes much sense considering almost everyone agrees that Whitaker deserved to win the decision against Chavez. He probably belongs in the top 25 of all time though.

Comment

Originally posted by trk View Post
                    I think De La Hoya is a little underrated now. He is one of the best of all time (or at least best of the modern era) in terms of quality of opposition faced. He lost a lot of his big fights later on, but at the start of his career he was very impressive.

Is Julio Cesar Chavez overrated? It depends on who is rating him. I have seen some people putting him in the top 10, which I think is overrating him. Bert Sugar has him at #17 with Pernell Whitaker down at #48, which I don't think makes much sense considering almost everyone agrees that Whitaker deserved to win the decision against Chavez. He probably belongs in the top 25 of all time though.
                    Yeah i agree top 30 atleast, i can shoot off many guys i think rank above him, both sugar rays, ali, tyson, Floyd, Rocky to name a few.

Comment

yes i think Chavez is a great fighter, and tough as hell. He would probably give anyone a tough fight, but i do think he is a tad overrated.. some folks speak of him like he is some indestructible superhero or something.. there are some great pure boxers or slick fighters that would beat chavez, not a knock against him, im just saying

Comment

Working...
                      X