Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was the saddest moment in boxing you experienced as fan and howd it affect you

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigAlexSand View Post
    Same as OP. Being very young watching Tyson and growing up watching Jones had me train and compete. Watching Jones get KO'ed by Tarver was unbelievable. It was like watching Superman get Killed. Most people at that point, I feel felt the same way. Jones was the second coming of Sugar Ray Robinson and in my view no one has yet to remotely show that kind of auroa. Mayweather didn't have it, and neither does or did Pacquaio. Jones was truly a once in a life time fighter and watching him lose so dramatically was mind blowing.
    I've been saying this for years to my old boxing head friends and the newbies who grew up on Manny and Floyd

He was like the apocalypse of his era.....he was as far ahead of his peers as Robinson was of his peers in his era.

True once in a lifetime talent

Too see that type of talent live and against world champions and hall of famers is unheard of

He literally went fights without losing rounds.....broke so many boxing rules

Floyd and Manny were great, but even Floyd wasn't deemed as unbeatable as Roy.....Roy had the athleticism of Floyd with legit one punch power, faster hands and threw power counters

Comment

Originally posted by BigAlexSand View Post
      Watching what happened to McClellan was more shocking. Also, Jones said many times he would never face McClellan because Jones knew how much of a dangerous fighter McClellan, the so called "Mini Mike Tyson".
      wishful thinking at the time for me. plus before and since Ive seen close friends fight.

Comment

Depends what you consider a 'moment'. It's probably more depressing to see fighters who should have retired a long time ago go 12 rounds and look horrible than it is to see a great fighter meet their match or even get stopped.

But the individual moment that gripped me the most is Marquez KO6 Pac by far. It was a great fight with some back and forth but it looked like Pac was really pulling away to me. I didn't see it coming. Pac went limp immediately and I knew it was over before he hit the ground.

Of course not as big an upset as Tyson-Douglas or Jones-Tarver but it was just so sudden a shift in the fight and such a dramatic stoppage.
        Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 12-11-2015, 03:04 PM.

Comment

gatti vs floyd and lucas last fight.

Comment

every month when i open my cable bill

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
              every month when i open my cable bill

Comment

I watched Leavander Johnson (RIP) vs Jesus Chavez live on t.v., as a fight fan I was all for seeing a brutal beatdown but when I heard later Leavander died from the beating, I was real sad.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean_Razorback View Post
                  gatti vs floyd and lucas last fight.
                  I never saw a world class, beloved fighter take such a one sided beating like that....Gatti was one of my favs to watch in the late 90s but I knew he wasn't gonna beat a hungry pretty boy Floyd....I liked both so I was neutral but I never expected Gatti to get battered like that...even against DLH he got some good shots in, but against Floyd he got beat to bits

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
                    that fight could've been stopped in the 1st round, Benn was in real bad shape. Yea that ref let that dirty stuff go too much...Those rabbit punches are what did G-man in,

G man vs his buddy Roy would have been epic around 94-96 at 168
                    Absolutely! I guesss that's what you call home field advantage. Man, I don't think the ref even warned Benn once, just terrible. He was as I stated before, a ferocious beast. He had Power in both hands.
                    Last edited by sugar ray lenrd; 12-11-2015, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Tyson getting dismantled by Lennox, was 13 at the time and DKSAB then, my parents and older bros would always let me stay up for his fights as a kid. I could have sworn Tyson was going to KO lewis (what a fool i was)

Naz losing to Barrera too was a tough one lol, loved watching Naz during the late 90s, just got Sky tv aswell, was one and still is one of my favourite fighters to watch ever.

Comment

Working...
                      X