No announcement yet.

Saw Hamed vs Barrera for 1st time

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw Hamed vs Barrera for 1st time

I'm getting around slowly to watching older classics. I gotta say (Jim), this fight was absolutely amazing!
    Back & forth the first 6 rounds, I had it 10-10 in the 7th, then Barrera just took control from that point on. Didn't agree with the point deduction in the 12th, I scored it 116-113 for Barrera (practically same card as Lederman)

Clearly, both fighters are ATG's... I felt as if Naseem coulda done far better if he decided to ever throw a combo during the middle-late rounds.

Yeah, I loved seeing Hamed's face getting slammed into the turnbuckle in that final round, WWE style. That's what he deserved for all the smack talk leading up to the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by No Diggity View Post
      I'm getting around slowly to watching older classics. I gotta say (Jim), this fight was absolutely amazing!
      Back & forth the first 6 rounds, I had it 10-10 in the 7th, then Barrera just took control from that point on. Didn't agree with the point deduction in the 12th, I scored it 116-113 for Barrera (practically same card as Lederman)

Clearly, both fighters are ATG's... I felt as if Naseem coulda done far better if he decided to ever throw a combo during the middle-late rounds.
      the fight was competitive and entertaining, yet people who didnt like Hamed make it out like he got battered pillar to post. Barrera outboxed him. The better man won. Mayweather vs Gatti it was not.

Comment

I'm one of the (biased) guys who had Barrera blowing out Hamed in this one, probably because I wanted to see Hamed lose. I need to watch this one again without the sound one and score it that way.

It would have been a way different fight, like you said, if Hamed threw more combinations.

Comment

I think the fight wasn't as close as the cards suggest, if that makes sense. Barrera's controlled aggression broke Hamed mentally. And while Naseem had some success in the middle rounds, I don't think he was ever really in the fight.

Comment

Hamed generally looked pretty clueless and ineffective from what I remember.

Comment

I remember that fight as being one-sided and Barrera's hands were too quick for Hamed's "hands-down-rely-on-reflexes-defensive-style".
              Barrera is one of the best fighters I have ever seen, Hamed on the other hand was very good, but "ATG" gets thrown around a little to wild these days in my opinion.

Comment

It was the only time Hamed did not do the jump over the rope thingy and he lost.

People started to throw beer at him during his entrance.

He also had issues with his hands and was not trained properly, but still don't think he would have bet Barrera even with a great training camp.

Comment

Originally posted by No Diggity View Post

these yanky half wits dont really have a clue

barrera won yeah cos he was a great foiter but hamed put in some work too and it was far from a blowout

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
                    the fight was competitive and entertaining, yet people who didnt like Hamed make it out like he got battered pillar to post. Barrera outboxed him.
                    I agree that the early rounds were closer but Barrera did batter him pillar to post, hell its one of the few times in boxing where that is literally true. Barrera broke Hamed down completely and totally. Sure you can watch the few rounds and pretend it was competitive but on the whole of the fight it wasn't' even close. Even in the rounds you think are competitive Barrera is still dominating its just more subtle he is slowly setting up the total ass kicking that happens in the later rounds.

Comment

Working...
                    X