No announcement yet.

James "Buster" Douglas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
    Sure is, Buster was great that day, me and me mate rocked up at the pub and the fight was just beginning. I remember saying to my mate James after the first round that this guy might just pull it off..... LOL... you should have seen all the incredulous faces looking at me when I said that. They called me a f***w1t, but I am usually on the money and after the 3rd many were taking me seriously. After the fight I was a prophet, but I always knew that Tyson would lose to someone in that next year or two, I just knew it in my bones.
    I quit my job to go watch it.

http://fitefansho.blogspot.com/2011/...-to-upset.html

Comment

if you want to read some great info on Buster Douglas check out the book "the last great fight" (douglas vs. tyson) it gives great insite on the fight, a good read about douglas life.

Comment

Douglas had some good fights...and never really had the top team behind him to bring him to his potential. Interesting side note about Douglas during his post boxing career...he has done very well as a real estate developer and has way more money today than both Tyson and Holyfield combined which is not saying much right now...although ironic. He probably has more money than most retired boxers who ever made a million plus.

Comment

Originally posted by jaded View Post
          Douglas had some good fights...and never really had the top team behind him to bring him to his potential. Interesting side note about Douglas during his post boxing career...he has done very well as a real estate developer and has way more money today than both Tyson and Holyfield combined which is not saying much right now...although ironic. He probably has more money than most retired boxers who ever made a million plus.
          That is great to hear I have always like Buster on a personal level, he was a class act.

Comment

Originally posted by jaded View Post

I'm always happy to hear when ex-fighters are doing well after their careers are over. You don't hear it often enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
              I'm always happy to hear when ex-fighters are doing well after their careers are over. You don't hear it often enough.
              I agree, it's always the opposite and it's really heart breaking in a lot of cases.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
                I agree, it's always the opposite and it's really heart breaking in a lot of cases.

Yeah, like Iran Barkley making millions and ending up in the same ghetto he came from.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
                    No version of Mike Tyson beats a 6'4", 231lb guy who is moving and boxing like a damn middleweight!
                    The blueprint to beat Tyson, even a prime one was always there but Douglas had the tools and more importantly the faith to execute it. One of the great performances in the ring and a shame it was pretty much a one off.
                    Glad he kept his money, always great to hear that sadly rare occurrence. I think for any HW of that era to avoid Don King's clutches was always a good thing as far as keeping hold of their hard earned

Comment

He was obviously great that one night but lets not forget he was only 1 second away from being KO'd against an off Tyson. The guy could get lazy at times and his defense wasn't as great as his offensive skills. He had a very bad habit of throwing right uppercuts from way outside. Personally I wouldn't pick him against most of the greats in a head-to-head matchup, even Tyson.

Comment

Working...
                      X