No announcement yet.

Thoughts On This Top 20 Heavyweight List

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GJC View Post
    Wills was a great fighter but I think number 4 is way too high for him. I always think with Wills that he should have got his shot against Dempsey for sure but that it helped his legacy that he didn't.
    I have little doubt that Dempsey would have beaten him, big heavyweights that wern't too quick were a bit of a speciality of Dempsey's.
    Wills had too many boxing skills for Dempsey. Prime Wills was never decisioned. Dempsey's only bet is to score a KO while behind on the cards. Had they fought back around when Dempsey won the title, Wills would have done what Tunney did to him, out box him easily.

Then there's the fact that Wills resume ****s on everyone's save Louis, Ali, and Johnson.... #4 is a good spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Obama View Post
      Wills had too many boxing skills for Dempsey. Prime Wills was never decisioned. Dempsey's only bet is to score a KO while behind on the cards. Had they fought back around when Dempsey won the title, Wills would have done what Tunney did to him, out box him easily.

Then there's the fact that Wills resume ****s on everyone's save Louis, Ali, and Johnson.... #4 is a good spot.
      Willis never had no wear near as good as boxing skills or speed as Tunney. Willis was pretty slow and was known more for his strength and punching power than his boxing skills and speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Boxing9 View Post
        Willis never had no wear near as good as boxing skills or speed as Tunney. Willis was pretty slow and was known more for his strength and punching power than his boxing skills and speed.
        You're confusing him with McVea. Willis boxing skills were top notch.

Comment

You're confusing him with McVea. Willis boxing skills were top notch.
          No am not, although Willis had skills, he was more known for his strength and big punch, and he size, he was 6''3. Willis vs Dempsey would be nothing like Tunney vs Dempsey, and Tunney and Willis fight nothing alike.

FACT

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Boxing9 View Post
            No am not, although Willis had skills, he was more known for his strength and big punch, and he size, he was 6''3. Willis vs Dempsey would be nothing like Tunney vs Dempsey, and Tunney and Willis fight nothing alike.

FACT
            I said he'd out box him like Tunney did, I didn't say he'd do it the same way. Wills was not slow and was a very clever fighter. Dempsey would be out of his element. What crafty fighter did Dempsey ever beat who was bigger than him? His record against short, fat, Willie Meehan doesn't allow me to give him any benefits of the doubt.

Comment

Holyfield is way too low, Bowe should not be above him, he won the trilogy but his accomplishments arent as deep

Comment

Originally posted by Archaic View Post
                Holyfield is way too low, Bowe should not be above him, he won the trilogy but his accomplishments arent as deep
                1000% Correct.

Comment

I said he'd out box him like Tunney did, I didn't say he'd do it the same way. Wills was not slow and was a very clever fighter. Dempsey would be out of his element. What crafty fighter did Dempsey ever beat who was bigger than him? His record against short, fat, Willie Meehan doesn't allow me to give him any benefits of the doubt.

Those were 4 round fights early in Dempsey's career while Meehan was already a veteran of over 100 fights. Should we also question Sam Langford who also lost a 4 rounder to Meehan?

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                    [/B]

Those were 4 round fights early in Dempsey's career while Meehan was already a veteran of over 100 fights. Should we also question Sam Langford who also lost a 4 rounder to Meehan?
                    The second Meehan loss was not remotely early in Dempsey's career. And Dempsey was supposed to be at his best in the early rounds. Sam Langford was past his prime when Willie got to him. Prime Langford blasts his ass. Besides they only fought once. Dempsey fought the SOB 5 times.

Comment

Wills was not slow and was a very clever fighter.
                      Obama, Wills was a great fighter not doubting that but he wasn't quick.
                      Like I said personally I'd bet the house on Dempsey really fancy him in this match up.

Comment

Working...
                      X