Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it wrong to root for a fighter just because he is the same race or ethnicity?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by buge View Post
    There's nothing wrong with rooting for someone you like or who belongs to a group you identify with.

If you root for your brother, is that wrong? What about your cousin? What about your neighbor? Or someone from your state, your college, or your country? Someone who is the same religion? Someone who is the same race?

None of those things are wrong. You don't have to do it, but it is natural and right to do so.

Take some pride in yourself and others like you.
    But if someone ONLY roots for fighters who are their own race, color, nationality, they are not boxing fans, point blank. Their motives have nothing to do with boxing; Boxing is just a vehicle for them to see their type beat other types so they can feel like they did a one up on the other type and that their type is better. That is very much alive here and everywhere. And if another type beats their type, they cannot wait for revenge. It is not about the sport for them, again, the sport is just a vehicle for them to breath life into their bias with.

Comment

You shouldn't have to explain yourself for liking a certain fighter but the problem is that some fans seems to be just fascinated with what OTHERS think about their favorite fighter so it becomes a game of trying to get others to like your favorite fighter as much as you do and if they don't you scream racism and a bunch of other BS
      Last edited by sicko; 08-24-2016, 12:46 PM.

Comment

I used to think what you are describing until I came across fighters of other races/nationalities that I liked just as much or more. It's not always about that.

Comment

Originally posted by richardt View Post
          But if someone ONLY roots for fighters who are their own race, color, nationality, they are not boxing fans, point blank. Their motives have nothing to do with boxing; Boxing is just a vehicle for them to see their type beat other types so they can feel like they did a one up on the other type and that their type is better. That is very much alive here and everywhere. And if another type beats their type, they cannot wait for revenge. It is not about the sport for them, again, the sport is just a vehicle for them to breath life into their bias with.
          Have you ever known a black person who rooted for a white fighter to beat a black fighter?

I haven't.

But I've known lots of white guys who root for black boxers to beat white boxers.

When I was a kid, I never cared much. I used to like Mike Tyson, and I was a fan of black athletes in other sports. My parents taught me to respect everyone. But then I went over to the USA to watch some fights, and saw all the black fans were rooting for black boxers. Even when a black boxer from overseas was fighting a local American white guy, the black fans all rooted for the black boxer.

I got to know some black people in Toronto when I lived there, and I was surprised that in the Olympics, they were rooting for black athletes from other countries to beat the white Canadians.

All the Filipinos I know support Filipino boxers, and all the South Asians support Amir Khan (even the Sikhs who were at war with Khan's people for centuries).

I don't have anything against any other race, but experience has taught me to like my own people more and always support them.

However, I do dislike the self-righteous, holier-than-thou white people who feel we shouldn't root for our own too because it's not "politically correct". In a way, they are the most racist of all: they feel whites are somehow morally superior, so we shouldn't be like all the other people and root for our own.

Comment

Originally posted by CaneloMaidana View Post
            I don't care people like Golovkin because he's White but you guys excuse his ducking because he's White.
            GGG is asian and he looks a lot more asian than white to me.

Comment

I'm white and I support mainly white fighters.

My favorite fighter growing up was Mike Tyson.

Comment

Originally posted by LeonSpinxMwfpce View Post
                No. Not at all. But don't front about it. Just be real. If I like a Mexican fighter just because hes Mexican, you can't do anything about it. If white boy Billy likes Carl Frampton just because hes white, so what? If a black dude likes Errol Spence just because hes black, cool. There is nothing wrong with liking something that you are familiar and comfortable with. Just don't pretend that isn't the reason. Be a man about your **** and stay true. Seems like alot of dudes here are afraid to admit it. It doesn't make you racist. It just makes you glad and happy that someone you can relate to is a success. If you are biased because of it, so what? We know you're biased because of it anyways. Trying to hide it and make it seem otherwise just makes you look stupid. There is nothing wrong of being proud of who you are, and people who look like you. If there is, tell me why its wrong.

It's wrong when it prevents you from behaving/discussing fights objectively.

You can root for the same race/nationality all you want, but if they aren't the best fighter in the conversation, admit it. Own up to it. Admit the flaws.

That's where the real problem lies.

Comment

Originally posted by bm Vagabond View Post
                  I root for Romanians lmao..
                  I'm glad Bute's revived his career somewhat against DeGale/Badou

JoJo Dan doe!

Besides that, Idc if the fighter is whatever he is. Huge Pacquiao, Bradley, Broner, Kov fan
                  ... I used to root for Bute, of course -- up to the moment when I realized how hugely protected he actually was...

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
                    Have you ever known a black person who rooted for a white fighter to beat a black fighter?

I haven't.

But I've known lots of white guys who root for black boxers to beat white boxers.

When I was a kid, I never cared much. I used to like Mike Tyson, and I was a fan of black athletes in other sports. My parents taught me to respect everyone. But then I went over to the USA to watch some fights, and saw all the black fans were rooting for black boxers. Even when a black boxer from overseas was fighting a local American white guy, the black fans all rooted for the black boxer.

I got to know some black people in Toronto when I lived there, and I was surprised that in the Olympics, they were rooting for black athletes from other countries to beat the white Canadians.

All the Filipinos I know support Filipino boxers, and all the South Asians support Amir Khan (even the Sikhs who were at war with Khan's people for centuries).

I don't have anything against any other race, but experience has taught me to like my own people more and always support them.

However, I do dislike the self-righteous, holier-than-thou white people who feel we shouldn't root for our own too because it's not "politically correct". In a way, they are the most racist of all: they feel whites are somehow morally superior, so we shouldn't be like all the other people and root for our own.
                    I'm black and root for both klitschko's & kelly pavlik vs black fighters

who is the last good white American boxer

Comment

Originally posted by LeonSpinxMwfpce View Post
                      Is it wrong to root for a fighter just because he is the same race or ethnicity?

(...)
                      ... rooting for a fighter just because he is the same race or ethnicity?

... Well: it's understandable but it may be wrong, imo...

If a fighter is just dumb in a particular context, one shouldn't root for him to the bitter end...

Comment

Working...
                      X