No announcement yet.

Hardest punching lightweights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
    You mentioned depth....... AD WOLGAST hit pretty hard,,, KO's Owen MORAN, Wolgast portrait.... Battling Nelson V Abe Attell.....Wolgast Vs Battling Nelson............

i've been reading up on wolgast a lot lately

gut wrenching stuff, the way his life finished out

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
      i've been reading up on wolgast a lot lately

gut wrenching stuff, the way his life finished out
      Yeah, he was the epitome of a warrior, great fighter, actually, the legendary Nelson contest which I did a round by round report on the whole 40 rds, was not the only great battle he had,.... many of his other fights were gut wrenching enough too..... It seems very few fighters have a comfortable life out of the ring.... Wolgast fared no better than Young Griffo or Nelson in the last years.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
        they were almost all between 130 and 135. jr featherweight. (most importantly jr FW opponents.)

he had 3 fights at the full LW limit and none above it.

if you're taking about his run of first round stoppages he didn't have a single one of those at LW or against LW's

his biggest opponent was 133 during that run

at his smallest (early in his career) he was a FW fighting FW's

he was a terrific talent, certainly. no dispute. and he could bang.
        i was pretty high on his boxing skills more than his brute power (especially as he fought bigger and better men)

but he's got almost no work at LW. and what he does have is not of any historic significance. you understand why that shouldn't put him in the discussion, right? accomplishments aside, those three opponents don't give you close to enough to go on. he fought no other lightweights.

and finally, on sight alone, his power punches were not even in the same league as oscar de la hoya at LW (to pick one of my favorite lightweights, and only for the sake of argument. i'm not saying nobody punched harder than oscar at LW.)

that man had true one punch power at LW
        his left hook was the most significant of every fight he was ever in until he moved to WW. only at WW could a man sustain that blow

antonio demarco took a bunch of valero's best shots. yeah, he wasn't as aggressive as expected, but many of his fights around that time saw demarco boxing and being less aggressive than he had been early in his career.
        demarco was his best LW opponent, and would be your best chance to evaluate valero's punching power at lw.

he would have gotten his face ripped apart if oscar hit him like that.

curiously, is your list in order?

maybe its the number one thing that is getting to me
        but i don't get how you get such a heavy reputation as a historic great LW puncher with only 3 fights at LW with your best opponent being antonio demarco (who was retired on his stool and never even knocked off his feet.)
        I agree that Oscar had great power as a lw. But Valero deserves the nr.1 spot because he looked like a monster puncher at any weight. I believe he woulda gone on to knock out better guys had he lived on. But I can see your point. He didn't have a long career at 135 and maybe Ike Williams deserves that spot more.

Comment

Duran only 9th! too funny!

Comment

Edwin Valero

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
              Edwin Valero
              must we get back into this?

i thought i nipped this in the bud on a few of your threads a while back

you gonna make me go back through it?

or are you just unwilling to learn?

Comment

Edwin Valero? Really? What a complete joke!

Who the hell did this guy KO that was worth a damn? Not only at 135 (where he had virtually no fights), but at 130? Who did he ever KO with one shot?

I saw lots of him (YouTube), and didn't even think he was that great a puncher....and also thought he had a lame style, which would have gotten him whacked had he actually fought anyone approaching the elite level.

Hilariously overrated by two posters in this section, who I now think should be under suspicion for being one and the same (alts), because I can't imagine two people sharing such an absurd opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
                  Edwin Valero? Really? What a complete joke!
                  Thats the truth?

Freddie Pendleton could have done the same to Valero's opponents and went through them all unbeaten as well. And if he'd it wouldn't amount to a hill of beans because if he did, like Valero he would still be untested and still would not belong on that list.

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
                    Edwin Valero
                    Get over yourself PEPE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
                      Thats the truth?

Freddie Pendleton could have done the same to Valero's opponents and went through them all unbeaten as well. And if he'd it wouldn't amount to a hill of beans because if he did, like Valero he would still be untested and still would not belong on that list.
                      Whats Pendleton got to do with this?? He wasn't even mentioned!

Comment

Working...
                      X