Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you have managed Roy Jones after beating Ruiz if you were his manager?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you have managed Roy Jones after beating Ruiz if you were his manager?

Lets say you were his manager during that time and he just defeated Ruiz. What are the next steps you would take for the rest of his career?
    Last edited by BigNuts; 07-07-2015, 03:00 PM.

go after Tyson or lewis

Comment

Toney at CW for the IBF title.

Comment

tell him to quit.

Comment

I would have had him move to cruiserweight and never let him drop all the way to light heavyweight again. When he won the heavyweight title he was a solid 193. That is were I would keep him.

Comment

I honestly don't know. The Ruiz fight was a golden opportunity to capitalize on. A beatable heavyweight that wasn't a big puncher got a hold of a belt. Dude wasn't a real heavyweight so you can't really match him up with a Lennox Lewis. Regardless, he capitalized on that opportunity, made history, went down in weight and beat Tarver. The fight was close so he had no choice to do the rematch and he got caught. It happens in boxing.

He probably should have taken an easy fight or two after that and retired but clearly fighting is in his blood so who is to tell him to retire?

Comment

I thought he should've retired after that.

Comment

Would have been fun to see him against chris byrd who also was holding a belt at the time i think...or fight holyfield, that fight was talked about as well as tyson.

Comment

Have him fight Byrd to unify the WBA and WBO titles.

Or have him drop down to CW and fight one of the champions there.

Comment

Originally posted by BigNuts View Post
                    Lets say you were his manager during that time and he just defeated Ruiz. What are the next steps you would take for the rest of his career?
                    Simple answer is take a fight at cruiserweight, before heading back down to light heavyweight (since that'd already seemed to be in his mind)

http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Th..._Ratings:_2003

Wayne Braithwaite, Ezra Sellers, Sebastian Rothmann, and Dale Brown were all legit guys, basically available to him, and not really massive individuals at cruiserweight to begin with. Roy simply trains hard, avoids any weight cut, walks into the ring near 190 and takes the fight.

With a break, fight with no weight cut, break, Jones is in position to get into camp for the Tarver fight, having already taken off some of the weight, and not really having to tear down his body that shortly after (which is where I think he lost that little bit).

If Roy wins that fight, with no controversy, he either formally goes up to cruiserweight (no really bother for giants in that division) to clean out that division or simply retires.

Comment

Working...
                    X