No announcement yet.

Tony Burton, former trainer of Apollo Creed & Rocky, dead at 78

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tony Burton, former trainer of Apollo Creed & Rocky, dead at 78

Tony Burton, an actor who starred alongside Sylvester Stallone in the Rocky movies, has reportedly died aged 78.

Burton was born in Flint, Michigan and launched a light heavyweight boxing career before breaking into acting with his role as trainer Tony “Duke” Evers, who eventually becomes Rocky's trainer in the first six Rocky films.

His death was confirmed by his younger sister Loretta “Peaches” Kelley, according to the local news site Michigan Live. He was hospitalised repeatedly in the last year but it is not known what was causing him to be ill.

Kelley said he did not get to see Creed, the 2015 film focusing on the son of Apollo Creed, because of his declining health in the last year.

“There's a scene in the restaurant of that movie (Creed) where his picture is on the wall,” Kelley told ML. “We didn't talk about (Rocky) a lot. I mean we were excited, but other people were more excited."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pe...-a6897081.html

Loved this guy in the Rocky movies. R.I.P. Tony

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
      Loved this guy in the Rocky movies. R.I.P. Tony
      He was brilliant wasn't he?

RIP Tony, gone but not forgotten.

Comment

Comment

May he rest in peace!

Comment

"No pain, no pain....no pain."

Comment

I didn't know he was a former boxer. Didn't box long. His record was 4-3-1

Comment

Working...
              X