Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Kessler: Ward Has No Guts, I'll Fight Him in The U.S.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
    ^^^^ A guy saying that Kessler is ducking Froch so he can fight Ward.

Kessler, the never-ending ducker

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
      Answer the question, if he stays at 168 (probable), who is he supposed to fight?
      He can fight ANYONE at SMW or LHW and there will be complaints of the opposition not being on par with Ward's skills. The only reason you want him at LHW is because the weight and size MAY be perceived as an extra challenge.

Is a Pascal fight going to be what the fans want? Is a Cleverly or Cloud fight what the world is clamouring for? Hell no. Likewise at SMW there is nobody left for him in terms of being proven elites.There are big name fights like Pavlik or Chavez may come up to SMW if he cannot make MW anymore. Ward could beat the snot out of Bute,whom I believe looks VERY bad even in his last fight.

Ward could end up fighting his friends the Direll brothers,but if he doesn't fight them due to the friendship then big deal.If we complain about them,then we can complain about other friends who won't fight eachother.

Comment

Originally posted by turnedup View Post
        Ward needs to step out of his comfort zone or end up like Martinez..spectacular fighter with limited star power. It's time for wards folks to really put him on some bigger stages and they'd love him in europe so why not? Plus with the conversion rates being what they are..fighting in europe is where the money is at right now.
        Are you really saying that Ward needs to fight in Europe to become successful or further his career?!!! lol. Seems to me that staying in America has lead him to getting attention from HBO.Sounds like he has been on the right track career wise. If we are talking about the consumers or casual fans,do you even think they care where he fights? How will this damage his legacy let alone his wallet?

Comment

Originally posted by damned1974 View Post
          He can fight ANYONE at SMW or LHW and there will be complaints of the opposition not being on par with Ward's skills. The only reason you want him at LHW is because the weight and size MAY be perceived as an extra challenge.

Is a Pascal fight going to be what the fans want? Is a Cleverly or Cloud fight what the world is clamouring for? Hell no. Likewise at SMW there is nobody left for him in terms of being proven elites.There are big name fights like Pavlik or Chavez may come up to SMW if he cannot make MW anymore. Ward could beat the snot out of Bute,whom I believe looks VERY bad even in his last fight.

Ward could end up fighting his friends the Direll brothers,but if he doesn't fight them due to the friendship then big deal.If we complain about them,then we can complain about other friends who won't fight eachother.
          Bro it's simple, you said he shouldn't fight Kessler or Froch. I'm asking you who he should fight instead.

He is staying at 168 in 2013, who should he fight?

Comment

I just find it hard to complain about Kessler giving Ward a shot at his own belt in Ward's backyard when Kessler himself ended up getting that same type of opportunity from Froch (the former WBC champ) in Kessler's backyard.

I would have sort of liked to see Ward have a fight in Europe,but would it have resulted any differently? Nope,probably not unless their was some Ottke type officiating.
            At any rate,it was a better career move for him to stay in the States and let the likes of Showtime and HBO get a good feel and exposure from Ward. In America,there are people not native to the States who flourish (think of guys like Chavez, Pacquiao, Martinez,etc) and they have no problem wanting to seek fame from the giants like HBO in America...yet for Kessler and his fans it seems to be some issue and reason to complain.
            I respect and admire Ward's skills but I've got to say the officiating in Oakland was a disgrace.
            I'd personally like to see how Ward does against Kessler in Denmark where he won't be allowed to nut and hold his way through the fight. The officials, in contrast, should favour Kessler which would be interesting. Also Kessler fighting in front of his great fans would fire him up.

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
              Bro it's simple, you said he shouldn't fight Kessler or Froch. I'm asking you who he should fight instead.

He is staying at 168 in 2013, who should he fight?
              I am saying I would rather him fight a different person instead of a re-run type affair.Rematches can be warranted when there is a close fight-these were not even competitive hardly!

It is better to get new names even if it is a Pavlik, Bute, Chavez (if he fails to make MW-and this was talked about as a future possibility), or perhaps a Anthony/Andre Dirrell fight.Hell,he could fight Adonis Stevenson perhaps....there are options,but only the top 3 suggestions make him any decent money.

At LHW the money options are even more weeded out and less.Nobody cares about Cleverly, Cloud, an already beaten up Dawson, etc fight...there are slightly more options at SMW that make him more money and that fans can identify with in terms of named fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by turnedup View Post
                Ward needs to step out of his comfort zone or end up like Martinez..spectacular fighter with limited star power. It's time for wards folks to really put him on some bigger stages and they'd love him in europe so why not? Plus with the conversion rates being what they are..fighting in europe is where the money is at right now.
                Ward isn't as 'spectacular' as Sergio. He's an outstanding fighter, P4P #2 at least in my opinion, but he's not really a thrilling fighter for the wider public to watch. He just shuts down opponents and dominates them.

Which is why I've always wondered how he would become a megastar. Obviously being American helps, but without a crowd pleasing style, he needs stars to beat.

Comment

Originally posted by HardSpar View Post
                  I respect and admire Ward's skills but I've got to say the officiating in Oakland was a disgrace.
                  I'd personally like to see how Ward does against Kessler in Denmark where he won't be allowed to nut and hold his way through the fight. The officials, in contrast, should favour Kessler which would be interesting. Also Kessler fighting in front of his great fans would fire him up.
                  Well,I would say that there were quite a few head clashes,but when you look at the fight before this-Kessler was getting schooled while being the favorite. The headclashes stopped the fight in the 11th (I believe), but if the fight was stopped earlier after the 4th-who would have won-it's pretty simple.

I don't think the fight was competitive anyways,it is a waste of time to wait 6 months to view this rematch when he can get a new name on his resume.

If Ward fought 4 times a year,I wouldn't mind seeing this fight,but unfortunately,we live in an era where a lot of guys are fighting 2-3 times a year and the amount of people wanting a Kessler/Ward rematch are a VERY small minority for even the hardcore boxing fans. That is just the reality of the situation.
                  Last edited by damned1974; 11-15-2012, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by iBreakbeat View Post
                    Ward needs to have hometown advantage.
                    Yeah. Sure.

Comment

Well,I would say that there were quite a few head clashes,but when you look at the fight before this-Kessler was getting schooled while being the favorite. The headclashes stopped the fight in the 11th, but if the fight was stopped earlier after the 4th-who would have won-it's pretty simple.

I don't think the fight was competitive anyways,it is a waste of time to wait 6 months to view this rematch when he can get a new name on his resume.

If Ward fought 4 times a year,I wouldn't mind seeing this fight,but unfortunately,we live in an era where a lot of guys are fighting 2-3 times a year and the amount of people wanting a Kessler/Ward rematch are a VERY small minority for even the hardcore boxing fans.
                      I think it would be competitive if you took out two of the major elements which made it uncompetitive mainly the holding not just the nutting, it ain't easy fighting someone who is fast skilled and allowed to hold when you put the pressure on and try to get your shots off.
                      He could get away with it in Oakland but in Denmark no chance. And of course he would have to win the rounds clearly, he'd be up against a fired up Kessler out for revenge, would have a noisy hostile crowd to put with and the home comforts would this time of course go to Kessler.
                      I know what you mean though the first fight looked uncompetitive, most people don't want see it again and Ward's already beaten him so he should fight guys who he has yet to beat.

Comment

Working...
                      X