Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grantland article: "Is the publis still buying "Money" Mayweather in 2013?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grantland article: "Is the publis still buying "Money" Mayweather in 2013?

Well done article from Bill Simmons Grantland.
    Good quote"Once you know everything there is to know about the A-side fighter, the show is only as strong as the B side’s personality allows."

Full article: http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...eather-in-2013

Was a good unbiased article i could see his points I give the PPV sales from 850K-1.1 mil range

Comment

Good article. Some funny points too.

I thought about that '30 days of May' Documentary myself and what a shallow piece of production it was. I guess to give it some "reality feel" and depth, they had to show Mayweather's ass without censorship while he was taking a shower.

And that's all the Documentary was, a big steaming pile of Ass.

Comment

Also to stay on topic and the main point the article was trying to make. That the "Mayweather shtick" is getting old.

Perhaps there is only one cure. Mayweather, for the good of Boxing needs to LOSE, and fast. It doesn't have to be to someone of the equivalent to Pacquiao (i.e. like Alvarez). It might as well be the average Joe looking Guerrero.

That would freshen things up a bit. Because we've seen it all in regards to Mayweather Pre-Fight (Rinse-repeat trash talk) and Mayweather Post-Fight (back to being humble [as long as you don't challenge his authority like Merchant did] and thanking his sponsors). What we haven't seen yet is a Post-fight interview of Floyd after he just got defeated. What would he say? What we haven't seen is a rematch after he got defeated. Now the Floyd diehard's don't care since they're his adherent fans. But for the rest of us ("Haters" or Neutral's), lets hope that he losses and losses fast.

Comment

Originally posted by dc3383 View Post
          Was a good unbiased article i could see his points I give the PPV sales from 850K-1.1 mil range
          To be fair, the writer in question is a "Contributing Writer at HBO" - as it says next to his name in his post in the comments section. Would this article have happened if Floyd was still at HBO?

I think we know the answer to that.

Saying that though, I pretty much agree with the article - but I am a hater and not unbiased when it comes to Mayweather. The persona wore off a long time ago and I haven't watched a lick of this Showtimes Access Show, nor his last few 24/7s. The fight itself sucks.

Floyd is basically in the process of cashing out and retiring and hey, that's fine. But that does not make for compelling boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by dc3383 View Post
            He's an hbo writer, piece would never come out if this ppv were ok hbo next week....

Anyways though I do agree that his attitude and personality is getting played out but he's still undefeated and I bet people will still buy it to see him in lose..

The thing I see about mayweather fights all the time here is that posters want the event/ppv to fail... Every time he fights we get the same threads ; no promotion, 24/7/all access sucks, will do less than 1 mill etc etc

The huge build up is on fight week and come Friday everyone will make plans to watch it, like some writers have said, mayweather fights are social events and like the superbowl etc etc...

Comment

I didn't pay attention who he wrote for; the only thing I would argue is he said a episode 24/7 did 465k viewers but the fight sold 1.5 mil so that's telling a 1 million or more didn't need to see 24/7 to watch the fight. So The All-Access numbers mean nothing to me.

Comment

as long as you go fishing for the lowest common denominator, you will catch more than your fair share.

Comment

Working...
                X