No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Ponce Wins Technical Decision, Unseats Jhonny Gonzalez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Ponce Wins Technical Decision, Unseats Jhonny Gonzalez

MGM Grand, Las Vegas - In a fight many were expecting to be the best of the night, WBC Featherweight champion Jhonny Gonzalez and Daniel Ponce De Leon put on a pretty uneventful fight. Not much action was taking place and the crowd who had been spoiled by two previous action fights, began getting restless and urged for more offense. A clash of heads in the 2nd round opened a deep cut on top of De Leon’s head which caused blood to run down his face for most of the fight.

In the 6th round, there was yet another clash of heads but De Leon also managed to land the biggest punch of the night as a short inside left hurt Gonzalez. De Leon would jump on him and drop him as Gonzalez fell through the ropes. Gonzalez was able to beat the count but visibly upset he had gone down.

In Round 8, there was a hard clash of heads once again as it was Gonzalez who got the worse of it as a bump and cut formed over his eyebrow. The ringside doctor stopped the fight at 2:36 Round 8 due to an accidental head butt. According to the rules, the fight would go to the scorecards and it was Daniel Ponce De Leon who won a unanimous decision with scores of 77-74 and 79-72 twice and making him the new WBC Featherweight champion. [Click Here To Read More]

I've ALWAYS stated that PDL is a lot better then given credit for. He is indeed on the slower side, but he has very good timing, as you saw when he hurt Gonzalez with the well timed left hand. Gonzalez did good work in the early rounds, but Ponce started finding his range and getting his timing on track and started breaking Jhonny down. Jhonny is a high level fighter, so this is definitely a huge win for Ponce. Congratulations PDL.

Comment

Ponce has really become a solid, solid pro and I thought he basically controlled this fight. Don't know what was up with that Kickboxer style haircut he had going, though.

Comment

That cut on De Leon's dome looked pretty deep / disgusting yet he kept fighting. That lil rat tail of his was soaked in blood at the end of the fight.

Comment

jhonny just can't seem to get over the bump when it comes to fighting above average fighters. it kind of feels like he's pretty much done at this point.

Comment

Big congratulations to Ponce for winning another title, regardless of the winning circumstance. Both guys, in my opinion, look to have lost a step. I gotta say though - if Broner had not moved up - Ponce deserves a rematch with Hair Brush.

Comment

This fight was not as good as expected. Unfortunately for Ponce de Leon, he wont make it past his first title defense. This poor guy just has not defense and he has the worst footwork I have ever seen.

Comment

Great win for Ponce. Would love to see him unify with Caballero, Dib, or the Garcia/Salido winner.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                  Ponce has really become a solid, solid pro and I thought he basically controlled this fight. Don't know what was up with that Kickboxer style haircut he had going, though.
                  agreed completely.....man i dont know what showtime were watching thinking it was a close fight...De Leon has this odd rythm to him...and his timing is excellent....im real happy for the guy......ace bloke as well....very nice.

Comment

thought Jhonny was going when he beat Rojas & picked him 2 win this but congrats 2 Ponce...vs Caballero a good bout & Jhonnt needs 2 come bk...surprised how dull the bout was...

Comment

Working...
                    X