No announcement yet.

Jack Johnson or Jack Dempsey

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
    Well Johnson came from an era when fighters could do more things....Guys at that time had to grapple well, you couldn't expose yourself with a big punch because with the gloves being small you could take a real shot and get your teeth knocked out....like Ketchel against Johnson for example.

Dempsey was very good but Johnson was a lot better. Johnson would toy with Dempsey frankly. Johnson was not only good defensively but could beat you up inside, outside and all around. Also the jab with the front was a KO punch when done with bad intentions and Dempsey coming in with hooking shots would have tasted it right on the chin before he got to Johnson.

The thing about Johnson is that he was in addition to everything else very strong physically...he cut is teeth on being a strevedore (same lifting heavy shot that Maxie Bair did!). My point is that a swarming KO guy like Tyson or Dempsy could not impose on Johnson. Watch Johnson handle guys in the grapple!

Prime Johnson loses to very few.....He beat himself when he got lazy but when he was on forgetaboutit! Dempsey was damned good though
    As for the actual match up I think Johnson would get caught by a big Dempsey shot as Dempsey was closing the distance and Dempsey would subsequently win by stoppage in the middle rounds. I'm not sure Johnson would be able to cope with the ferocity that Dempsey would bring to the ring. I think Johnson may be too lackadaisical on the inside and let Dempsey rip away with faster shots than Johnson is used to seeing. Dempsey is a whole different beast and cannot be tamed as Moran, Burns etc were.

Comment

Great thread. But in all honesty Johnson beats Dempsey, and frustrates the livin piss out of him as he does it. Dont forget The Galveston Giant could take a shot, just as well as he could give them. Big shot out to Joe Choyonski for teaching Johnson a lot of defensive measures.

I completely agree with Jab here. And for the fella that said Dempsey was the better defensive fighter............Please do some well needed research before you post in this section ever again my friend.

Comment

Dempsey better offense but johnson far better boxer johnson by ud if it went 12 or15 if it was fight to death who knows dempsey ko i guess like tunney vs dempsey this fight would turn out

Comment

Working...
        X