No announcement yet.

How would Sugar Ray Leonard fared from 1983-1985

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would Sugar Ray Leonard fared from 1983-1985

Let's say Leonard was fit enough to fight in these years (retired in '82 because of a detach retina and fought only once within the next four years prior to the superfight with Hagler).

While Sugar Ray is known to take on the best out there, he is also known for his reluctance to give his rival Tommy Hearns any rematch. In 1983, Hearns and Duran have moved up to 154. Unless Leonard was courageous enough to face Hearns, he 'd be forced to take on welterweight contenders Milton McCory, Donald Curry and probably a highly anticipated match up with 140 pound champion Aaron Pryor.

It's interesting if Leonard could be lucky to escape with a win over Hearns and Hagler within these time period (1983-85) or how he would deal on another defeat, or worse getting kayoed, Leonard has proven he can come back in a loss to Duran. I would not consider Duran as an option for Sugar Ray here because Roberto fought the best Hagler could be, and take on Hearns immediately after.

I think he would of stayed away from Pryor no matter what.

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
      Why? what great threat did Pryor pose to Leonard?

Comment

if he remtatche dtommy at 154 i would definitaly give hearns the edge

and if he fought hagler say three years earlier i would give hagler the edge to stop him late in a tough fight

Comment

the long layoff didnt really hurt him

cause he was still in shape and training

he didnt let his skills dimin=sh much and he boolon up like 90% of the rest of fighters do who take a lon layoff like that

Comment

He almost surely beats Pryor (but gets hit a lot in the process).

He probably loses to Hearns at 154 (but it is always hard for me to count out the smarter fighter).

If he fights Hagler in 83 he gets in for a beating he has never seen.
            In 1985 an active Leonard could *maybe* take an active 31yo Hagler. But a mobile version of Hagler against a Leonard who barely filled 154... ouch...

Comment

Yeah right. That's why Pryor priced himself out of a fight aginst Leonard. Leonard fought Duran, Hearns, and Hagler but would duck Pryor lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Emon723 View Post
                Let's say Leonard was fit enough to fight in these years (retired in '82 because of a detach retina and fought only once within the next four years prior to the superfight with Hagler).

While Sugar Ray is known to take on the best out there, he is also known for his reluctance to give his rival Tommy Hearns any rematch. In 1983, Hearns and Duran have moved up to 154. Unless Leonard was courageous enough to face Hearns, he 'd be forced to take on welterweight contenders Milton McCory, Donald Curry and probably a highly anticipated match up with 140 pound champion Aaron Pryor.
                It's interesting if Leonard could be lucky to escape with a win over Hearns and Hagler within these time period (1983-85) or how he would deal on another defeat, or worse getting kayoed, Leonard has proven he can come back in a loss to Duran. I would not consider Duran as an option for Sugar Ray here because Roberto fought the best Hagler could be, and take on Hearns immediately after.

I think Leonard would have beaten any of those fighters. Especially McCrory and Pryor. I don't believe he would have beaten Hagler during that time period and a Hearns fight would have been a 50/50 fight.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                  I think Leonard would have beaten any of those fighters. Especially McCrory and Pryor. I don't believe he would have beaten Hagler during that time period and a Hearns fight would have been a 50/50 fight.
                  In 1983, Duran moved up to faced Hagler, the best option for Leonard would really be a rematch with Hearns, who was already the WBC Junior Middleweight champion, I think the hitman would pull it off this time, boxes to win by a 15-round decision.

Leonard will likely retire with 3 losses, but all against his rivals and great champions, Duran, Hearns and Hagler.

Comment

I see similarities of Leonard vs Pryor to a Dela Hoya-Mosley fight in 2000, when Shane moved up to 147.

Comment

Working...
                    X