Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm nothing but a selfish fight fan

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hear you about Erik Morales. I love Erik Morales (pause) and his name will live in glory forever in boxing history for the battles he gave us.

When it comes down to it, though, I think real fans want a balanced fighter. Fighters who soak in punishment and win by imposing their will and showing a lot of heart often get called human punching bags and some people don't respect them. Fighters who are too defensive-minded and cover up too much and/or run are criticized as well. If you get a fighter than has good defense and a powerful offense, a fighter that's a complete package, those are the ones that are gonna get props from everyone. But listen to what I'm saying, it's difficult as hell to be the complete package in boxing. It's rare to have natural talent, polished skills and the mentality of a warrior all working at the same time. That's why elite fighters should have our respect. You can not like someone, but still respect them.

But in the end, you're right, people are gonna remember Corrales vs. Castillo, Ward vs. Gatti, Marquez vs. Vazquez, Frazier Ali, etc. a lot better than uh, um... whatever fights are considered technical virtuosities. (Wait, is it even possible for both fighters to give brilliant boxing lessons in the same fight? Doesn't there need to be a teacher and pupil for it to be lesson? Sorry, I digress.)

Comment

Originally posted by mr.crust View Post
      Lol! Yeah,I know.I wanted to green k you for for the thread as its probably the most interesting one on here in days,but apparently I have to spread the love around a bit first.
      NSB gets so stale some times. It seems like the topics just get reused over and over again. At least this topic is different.

Comment

Originally posted by dans01234 View Post
        I have followed boxing since my early teens, and there is one thing I have learned, I am a selfish fight fan. I want blood, I want guts, I want Gatti-Ward, I want Castillo-Corrales, I want Hagler Hearns, I want war.

It's not that I hate technical fights or technical fighters, but I always would rather a brawl then a pugilistic chess match. It's just me being a selfish fight fan, as so many of us are. But what is ironic about fight fans is that even though we are in fact selfish ourselves, we expect the exact opposite from fighters. We criticize guys like Lennox Lewis, who hated brawling. We rip apart the resumes of guys like Joe Calzaghe. We hate on guys like Floyd Mayweather for leaving on his own terms. None of this is fair, but can you blame us? Boxing fans like everyone else are in it for entertainment over everything else, so it is to be expected that we are selfish.

My favorite fighter of all time is Erik Morales. Morales was one of the rare fighters in history that arguably was not selfish at all. Yes he wanted money and accolades, but as a fighter in the ring he was as far from selfish as one could be. Often throwing technical advantages out the window for excitement and drama instead, Morales was the definition of a fan's fighter. However, in the end Morales didn't need to brawl as much as he did and he will be the one to pay the price, not us. He will be the one that in twenty years will have to explain why he lost all those fights at the end of his career. While Mayweather and Calzaghe will sit pretty with their "0" still in place and their bodies and minds unharmed.

Give me blood, give me guts, give me Gatti-Ward.

Give me Erik Morales.

Sounds like something my father would say....

Comment

Originally posted by Libido Sanchez View Post
          I hear you about Erik Morales. I love Erik Morales (pause) and his name will live in glory forever in boxing history for the battles he gave us.

When it comes down to it, though, I think real fans want a balanced fighter. Fighters who soak in punishment and win by imposing their will and showing a lot of heart often get called human punching bags and some people don't respect them. Fighters who are too defensive-minded and cover up too much and/or run are criticized as well. If you get a fighter than has good defense and a powerful offense, a fighter that's a complete package, those are the ones that are gonna get props from everyone. But listen to what I'm saying, it's difficult as hell to be the complete package in boxing. It's rare to have natural talent, polished skills and the mentality of a warrior all working at the same time. That's why elite fighters should have our respect. You can not like someone, but still respect them.

But in the end, you're right, people are gonna remember Corrales vs. Castillo, Ward vs. Gatti, Marquez vs. Vazquez, Frazier Ali, etc. a lot better than uh, um... whatever fights are considered technical virtuosities. (Wait, is it even possible for both fighters to give brilliant boxing lessons in the same fight? Doesn't there need to be a teacher and pupil for it to be lesson? Sorry, I digress.)
          Haha, good post man, green k.

Comment

It is possible to get good technical fights between fighters,but its rare.The action has to flow,even on the inside.The referee also has probably the biggest role to play in this type of fight.He has to almost be invisible! I'm trying to think of an example,I remember Watching a Roberto Duran fight years ago that was a perfect example of what I am talking about,but cant for the life of me remember the opponent,but it was twelve round of pure boxing and the ref was barely needed if at all.

There is some irony in that though,as Duran was one of those fighters you would normally associate with the kind of trench warfare we all love to watch,but here he was in a beautifully crafted technical fight that was also very good to watch.

Comment

It is possible to get good technical fights between fighters,but its rare.The action has to flow,even on the inside.The referee also has probably the biggest role to play in this type of fight.He has to almost be invisible! I'm trying to think of an example,I remember Watching a Roberto Duran fight years ago that was a perfect example of what I am talking about,but cant for the life of me remember the opponent,but it was twelve round of pure boxing and the ref was barely needed if at all.

There is some irony in that though,as Duran was one of those fighters you would normally associate with the kind of trench warfare we all love to watch,but here he was in a beautifully crafted technical fight that was also very good to watch.
              What amazes me about guys like Duran, Morales, and Barrera was the ability to turn their brawling mentality on and off. Barrera could be in a phone booth one round, and jabbing from the outside the next.

Comment

What amazes me about guys like Duran, Morales, and Barrera was the ability to turn their brawling mentality on and off. Barrera could be in a phone booth one round, and jabbing from the outside the next.
                Thats the mark of a complete fighter.What Barrera did to Naz made my chin hit the floor,and not just because he beat a seemingly unbeatable opponent,it was more the consumate ease with which he did it.He boxed absolutely beautifully that night,when it so easily could have turned into an all out brawl...off thread though,as I would rather have seen the brawl!

Comment

Thats the mark of a complete fighter.What Barrera did to Naz made my chin hit the floor,and not just because he beat a seemingly unbeatable opponent,it was more the consumate ease with which he did it.He boxed absolutely beautifully that night,when it so easily could have turned into an all out brawl...off thread though,as I would rather have seen the brawl!
                  Guy in your avatar is another great example of this quality.

Comment

Haha, good post man, green k.
                    Thanks for the green, man. I just have to post a 1,000 more times to get out of the red, that's all.

If you remember which Duran fight that was later, please let us know. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Libido Sanchez View Post
                      Thanks for the green, man. I just have to post a 1,000 more times to get out of the red, that's all.

If you remember which Duran fight that was later, please let us know. Thanks.
                      Ok,no worries.Dont hold your breath on my swiss cheese brain though! lol

Comment

Working...
                      X