Why Ward > Golovkin and Canelo

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Ward > Golovkin and Canelo

-removed
    Last edited by a9s8f78wgh5g8hjwoivq; 02-21-2024, 09:55 AM.

Originally posted by b0x View Post
    First off, all 3 are incredible fighters.

Canelo has achieved a lot for his age. He has developed well over the last few years. BUT Canelo has fought at a catchweight of 155lbs for 5 fights in a row. Which is middleweight. Has to take off underpants and target weakest 154 champ to be able to fight at 154. Will not move up to fight Golovkin and I don't blame him. Saying you will and then not doing it and vacating doesn't look good though. Clearly a mistake.

Golovkin has the whole middleweight division shook. He is a monster BUT Golovkin is running out of opponents because he is the best at 160. However, he's making little money. Won't go down for Alvarez. Wants Ward to drop to 164 after 2 years off, when trainer said anyone from 154-168 (which I believe was just promotional talk). Froch at 168 or Mayweather at 154 was okay though, because he believed he could beat them. Wouldn't take the risk with Ward and I don't blame him. But saying 154-168 was cleary a mistake.

Ward wanted to make the Golovkin fight, but could barely make 168 after 2 years off. Decided to skip all the BS and move up to 175. 1 Catchweight fight (Take note Canelo). Is fighting the top guy in the division at his weight. Canelo and GGG can't do that because they don't have the style to be able to.

Canelo > GGG @ 154
    GGG > Canelo @ 160
    GGG > Ward @ 160
    Ward > GGG @ 168

This is why the fights won't happen. But Ward is paving the way by just moving up and fighting the best without diva demands. He's getting no credit because people don't like his style, but his style gets him the win. This is because Ward is the better 'boxer' of the 3.

To be fair, Ward is confident he can beat Kovalev. Canelo is not confident he can beat GGG. GGG is not confident he can beat Ward. Not at the opponents actual weight. Boxing is a business. And Ward is getting guaranteed sums of 2m in each of his tuneups so maybe he found the decision easier to make. BUT at the end of the day, each guy is too good in his division for the other to face. Ward is the only one who can move to the division above vs the best guy and be 50/50 with the bookies. Even if Ward doesn't win then at least he took the risk...
    I understand your point & even if it is true that Ward is better, GGG does not need to move up now since there are still fights to be made. Beginning with the cash cow $ Canelo, then Jacobs, Saunders, & Eubank,Jr. In other words let him clean out the division first, just like Ward did at 168 lbs. And then we can talk.

I get it...

Comment

what does any of that have to do with "154-168 is easy?"

throughout boxing's time, Golovkin synonymousity will be "154-168 easy doe."

Comment

Originally posted by b0x
        Spell checker mate.

Golovkin never said it. Abel did. It was promotional talk.

Comment

Originally posted by b0x View Post
          First off, all 3 are incredible fighters.

Canelo has achieved a lot for his age. He has developed well over the last few years. BUT Canelo has fought at a catchweight of 155lbs for 5 fights in a row. Which is middleweight. Has to take off underpants and target weakest 154 champ to be able to fight at 154. Will not move up to fight Golovkin and I don't blame him. Saying you will and then not doing it and vacating doesn't look good though. Clearly a mistake.

Golovkin has the whole middleweight division shook. He is a monster BUT Golovkin is running out of opponents because he is the best at 160. However, he's making little money. Won't go down for Alvarez. Wants Ward to drop to 164 after 2 years off, when trainer said anyone from 154-168 (which I believe was just promotional talk). Froch at 168 or Mayweather at 154 was okay though, because he believed he could beat them. Wouldn't take the risk with Ward and I don't blame him. But saying 154-168 was cleary a mistake.

Ward wanted to make the Golovkin fight, but could barely make 168 after 2 years off. Decided to skip all the BS and move up to 175. 1 Catchweight fight (Take note Canelo). Is fighting the top guy in the division at his weight. Canelo and GGG can't do that because they don't have the style to be able to.

Canelo > GGG @ 154
          GGG > Canelo @ 160
          GGG > Ward @ 160
          Ward > GGG @ 168

This is why the fights won't happen. But Ward is paving the way by just moving up and fighting the best without diva demands. He's getting no credit because people don't like his style, but his style gets him the win. This is because Ward is the better 'boxer' of the 3.

To be fair, Ward is confident he can beat Kovalev. Canelo is not confident he can beat GGG. GGG is not confident he can beat Ward. Not at the opponents actual weight. Boxing is a business. And Ward is getting guaranteed sums of 2m in each of his tuneups so maybe he found the decision easier to make. BUT at the end of the day, each guy is too good in his division for the other to face. Ward is the only one who can move to the division above vs the best guy and be 50/50 with the bookies. Even if Ward doesn't win then at least he took the risk...
          Good post but logic doesn't usually work with Golovtards. I think Canelo fans would agree that Ward is the better fighter out of the three though...

Comment

Ward is 2 divisions heavier gtfo

Comment

Ward at 160? I don't think so...

Comment

I'll never understand the reputation on here that ward is a 'take on all comers' fighter. If he gets in the ring, that's one hard fight he's had in five years. Hardly amazing.

Comment

You are clearly a Ward fan going out of your way to make Ward into Mr. perfect man who is so much braver than GGG. You use false or questionable statements to try to achieve this. Ward's challenge to GGG to fight him was a verbal challenge through the media. Nobody has ever seen a written copy of Ward's challenge because he never made a serious written challenge. Ward's media challenge was made when GGG was in training for a legally binding, contracted fight with Lemieux so he couldn't fight Ward then. Ward couldn't have fought him at 168 because he had long ago outgrown that weight. Ward's last fight at 168 was in November 2013. He gave up his 168 pound title because he couldn't make that weight and his next fight was at 172 in June of 2015. If Ward had wanted to fight at 168 there were the usual 4 168 pound champions he could have fought instead of GGG. Ward didn't move up to 175 because he was so fearless and wanted a challenge. His body gave him no choice but to move up to 175. Ward has been a pro for about 12 years and he has a record of 30 wins, 15 by KO. GGG has been a pro for about 10 years and has a record of 36 wins with 33KOs. He has more KO wins than Ward has total fights. GGG has made 17 successful defenses of his world titles and won them all by KO. That's more than twice the amount of title defenses Ward made. So when it comes down to who is the better pound for pound fighter, I'll chose GGG over Ward. GGG fights all over the world while Ward has over 90% of his fights in Oakland. Why is that? GGG is ranked above Ward pound for pound by Ring, ESPN, Boxing Scene, HBO, Boxrec and just about every other place that has a pound for pound best list.

Comment

Originally posted by b0x
                    Ward would be a skeleton at 160.

It's just not feasible. It's like saying ggg at 147. Not sure why the hypothetical was even thrown out there.

On the subject, I used to think ggg could do 154 but after seeing the Brook weigh-ins, I'm not so sure anymore. 157 is probably feasible though. If he agrees to a Canelo catch weight, I'll bet his fans go ape though. This place will be insufferable.

Comment

Working...
                    X