No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Groves Discusses U.S. Win, The Cut, Anderson, DeGale

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Groves Discusses U.S. Win, The Cut, Anderson, DeGale

It wasn't easy, but this past Saturday night British/Commonwealth super middleweight champion George Groves (15-0, 12KOs) fought in the United States for the second time in his career. He took part in a Showtime Extreme televised fight on the Robert Guerrero-Selcuk Aydin undercard at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, California. He took on tough Mexican slugger Francisco Sierra (24-6-1, 22KOs).

[Click Here To Read More]

the interview was all good til the i've done a job on degale bit. "done a job on"? hmmmmmmm. "won a VERY VERY close-to-dubious decision against" is perhaps a better way of phrasing it

Comment

Groves fought on the back foot and stuck to the gameplan to beat DeGale. I wanted DeGale to win I believe and was very impressed with Groves. Enjoyed his fight against Sierra and was really impressed with the outcome.

Thought he looked a little open at times but that's going to happen with his style and he boxed well at times. The Anderson rematch should be exciting but I hope he pursues better fighters afterwards, no point wasting his time at domestic level.

Comment

Good solid performance from GG, which adding a great deal of experiance & exposure, shame about the cut. I'd like to see him fight Anderson next, followed by another fight abroad, then matched against Degale in a contest with British, European & Commonwealth titles at stake. Hopefully he'll be ready for a World title fight within 2 years.

Comment

Snide comment about "doing a good job on DeGale", he was very lucky to get that decision, only partisan fans will say otherwise.

Groves is improving with every fight, and, more importantly, proving his toughness more with every fight. He's clearly a better talent than Anderson, but that means f**k all if Anderson catches him. Groves seemed genuinely intimidated by him at the weigh-in for the last fight. If Anderson had time to prepare properly for that fight he'd've finished him. I don't think George wants to fight him again, hence constantly putting him down. Let's hope it happens and he can put it to bed once and for all.

Comment

with skin as pale as his, he'll likely be cut damn near every time he takes a punch on the brow. can see it being a big problem down the line.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgubligan View Post
              Snide comment about "doing a good job on DeGale", he was very lucky to get that decision, only partisan fans will say otherwise.
              What is it with people today trying to make every close bout controversial. It could have gone either way, I think I even scored it a draw. I like both fighters. I have no agenda. Most knowledgeable boxing people had it a close bout. Groves got it by a couple of points. That's TWO points out of 36. Because it was a close bout. I felt that DeGale could have won it if he's stepped it up a little but he didn't. Stop trying to create something out of nothing. Either that or get a job working for a Murdoch rag.

Comment

As a US boxing fan I was pleasantly surprised at how solid Groves is. Wouldn't mind seeing him over here again.

Comment

Groves and DeGale are probably our best two prospects along with big Pricey. RE the DeGale and Groves fight I scored it three times, first time watching it live I thought it was a draw, second time Groves by 2 points and third time a draw again, show's you how close it was. Groves is good, solid puncher, quick hands, decent head movement, excellent jab and he's a fairly big SMW. I'd like to see him fight Anderson, then Magee, then a Oostehiuzen/Abraham/Stieglitz, step him up gradually.

No point in a DeGale rematch yet, they're still developing, in 2/3 years time is the right time and place for it, at least one of them will have a world title, if not both.

Comment

I had DeGale winning by a point. The rematch will happen but hopefully they wait until one of them wins a world title.

Comment

Working...
                    X