Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Muhammad Ali's win over George Foreman the greatest heavyweight win ever?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would have to say Jack Johnson over Tommy Burns or Jim Jeffries.

Comment

The manner of Ali's win over Foreman practically defines "glory" and "greatness".

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
      Possibly, yes.

I still think his win over Liston in 64 was more shocking.
      I think they're actually quite similar cases.

Difference being that they came at opposite ends of his career.

Comment

Foreman's absolute demolition of Frazier is the greatest heavyweight win ever

Comment

Ali got robbed against Frazier. I remember watching the first fight a couple of years back when Amir waz still undefeated. I scored the fight for Ali.

Comment

Imagine if Vitali had fought on with those cuts and knocked out Lennox.

Just imagine...IF. That would have had to have been up there with the contenders.

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
              Foreman's absolute demolition of Frazier is the greatest heavyweight win ever
              Foreman was a beast, I believe he was something like 40-0 37KO's when Ali beat him. The manner in which Foreman destroyed Frazier in two rounds knocking him down 6 times just makes Ali's win over Foreman greater. Foreman was viewed as invincible after his demolition of Frazier.

Comment

Originally posted by FootWork777 View Post
                Foreman was a beast, I believe he was something like 40-0 37KO's when Ali beat him. The manner in which Foreman destroyed Frazier in two rounds knocking him down 6 times just makes Ali's win over Foreman greater. Foreman was viewed as invincible after his demolition of Frazier.
                ^^ This. Right on. Great post.

Comment

Originally posted by wazaa. View Post
                  Ali got robbed against Frazier. I remember watching the first fight a couple of years back when Amir waz still undefeated. I scored the fight for Ali.
                  You are absolutely right, Wazaa!

And few people know it, though it was talked about in the Afro-American community at the time.
                  The fight was under the old scoring system--like a 0 or a 1, not points. No 10-8 or such even if you scored a KD.

Now the rounds Frazier won, he won big, and most of Ali''s rounds were closer, although he had Frazier in trouble in 1 or 2 rounds, but many were squeakers that he won.

One story was that after the KD in Rd 15, the judges changed their cards to give it to Frazier (although with the prejudice against him I wouldn't be surprised if he could only have won by KO then), but score it rd by rd and Ali wins.
                  Last edited by physiker; 04-28-2011, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Out of the ones i've seen in my lifetime, James Buster Douglas knocking out an undefeated Mike Tyson was so exciting.

Comment

Frazier deserved that win over Ali, IMO. Ali didn't do enough to decisively take back his Championship and Frazier's late surge made him look like the more desirous fighter in there. It could be argued for either guy, though.

In no way is Frazier's win over Ali GREATER than Ali's win over Foreman.

Comment

Working...
                      X