Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime Mike Tyson: Best defense of any heavyweight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike Tyson in his prime and at the height of his powers beats anyone period. He was such a devastating puncher most people never really realized he was smaller than all of his opponents, so what he lacked in size he more than made up for in defenses, speed and power. And in order for a smaller heavy like him to flourish as well as he did he had to be exceedingly good in the other categories.

If there were a heavy fighting right now with half of the excitement potential that Tyson had back in the day, his PPV numbers would be staggering.

Comment

james toney

Comment

Skillwise, Mike Tyson under Cus D'mato could have taken any HW in history with maybe the exception of Jack Johnson.

Mike may not have had the most stellar career, but aside from Ali, Johnson and Joe Louis, Tyson probably made the biggest impact at HW.

The guy was a phenom. He was Cus' last and greatest protege. He's both a legend and a tragedy.

His peek-a-boo style defense was fantastic.

People only now try to degrade a prime Iron Mike, but back in the mid 80's everyone was awestruck. Iron Mike Tyson was what every era of HW boxing should have been.

Comment

Originally posted by judge_jab View Post
          I think it's probably more accurate to say, that maybe Tyson had the greatest defense while still fighting aggressively?
          You have said just what I was going to say. I wrote about it the other day also. When Tyson was bobbing and weaving, he was also placing himself into position from which to throw any kind of punch, and, whether he hit or missed, he would already be in position-due to his footwork and body weight management, to throw on the return with the other hand. This is how he produced those phenomenal 5-6 punch lethal combinations.

But, as someone mentioned, Jack Johnson, was not only invincable duting most of his career, he was a master of defence, and really toyed with his opposition, avoiding punches, tying up and carrying on ringside conversations at the same time.

As I've written several times, everything that Ali could do, Johnson could do much better. It was only brutal racism which prevented him from getting his well deserved credit and praise, until after he was dead. As for me, I vary between peak Tyson and Johnson. Johnson fought all the top Black fighters that others kept away from, multiple times, and beat them all.

He would often carry them for long fights to make sure the cash customer (white) got value for his money. Even Sugar Ray Robinson said that he often had to fight 20 rds..."10 for him and 10 for me.. meaning he had to carry them for the whole fight." Graziano, Fulmer and Basilio, all on that show, agreed with him.

Comment

Originally posted by Medved View Post
            His best defense was Offense. His prime was very very short but I will agree that a PRIME Tyson would beat ANY HW In history that came before him. I dont know what happens if he gets hit cleanly by Lewis or Vitali or if he can jump and connect against Wlad. Tyson was pretty short guy, he would have to be reaching a long way which leaves him open to a 1-2.

Its a shame that he had such a short prime, he revived boxing. He's one of my favorite fighters despite him being a lunatic, but the best people are always the crazy ones (michael jackson, artists/singers, etc)
            Tyson rarely reached unless he was sure he'd connect. He bobbed his way without being damaged into position where he COULD reach, and he could do this against the very tallest fighters, some of Klitschkoesque stature.

Comment

I'm going with Jersey Joe Walcott.

Comment

when you consider the overall fighter he was at his best, I'd say yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Jay View Post
                  Skillwise, Mike Tyson under Cus D'mato could have taken any HW in history with maybe the exception of Jack Johnson.
                  Tyson blows Johnson away, Johnson's defense relied mostly on parrying which as Tyson pointed out himself when analyzing Johnson is not nearly as effective against combinations as it is against single punches, clinching (May work for a bit, Quick Tillis used it well against Tyson I'm sure Johnson could) and footwork which I think was great but Tyson would cut him off eventually, Johnson's most effective weapon against Tyson would be his uppercut and inside work, but he would have to risk Tyson getting into his comfortable range first before he could do the damage.

Different rules and what not back then, put Tyson in his times and it might be different but it's doubtful, he's probably one of the worst Heavies to match Johnson up with style wise imo.

Comment

I'm not sure he beats a prime Ali. He was much more reachable after his exile.

Comment

his headmovement was awesome but i think ali had better footwork

Comment

Working...
                      X